Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Judson VW superchargers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sprout
Came across this ad from 1971 for Judson VW superchargers. Does anyone know of anyone ever using one in a 914?

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
See: https://ofdc.forumactif.org/t86-the-judson-...ry-and-technics
Mueller
I've only seen pictures of roots style supercharger being used on a 914.
jim_hoyland
And there was this members; later sold and removed, RayJay ?
porschetub
Not really ,very old tech and only very low boost,external oiling required,better choose is the later Eaton blowers as used on so many more modern cars but in reality it would be a bitch to get it all working on a T4.
The Judson's are priced through the roof as the early beetle guys fit them for bragging rights but the power increase is rather limited and with 36 and 40hp there is little more you can do to make more power.
The Judson stole HP to make a little extra but was the must have part back then.
A better solution was kits offered in the early 60's by german companies using the twin single throat Solex from the early 356 and a sport muffler,some went further.
poorsche914
Here's mine... B&M supercharger with a single progressive carb.
Built in the late '80s, I am convinced it has never truly run "great" after talking to both the builder and the guy who bought it from him.
My summer project is to install a Megasquirt system that should really wake up this motor's true potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDbVgTY7a_s

driving.gif
Robson51
I ran both a Judson and a Shorrock on a Bugeye Sprite for almost 20 years. 6 pounds max boost, and mainly it increased torque, and caused lots of head baskets to fail.

I’d use a contemporary supercharger out of a junkyard before going down the road with a Judson
Mark Henry
The head and head stud design of the T4 doesn't enjoy boost, I can make way more reliable HP from a NA engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.