Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Cover Band?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drem914
I have on of those black plastic covers for the battery.

Click to view attachment
How are they held on? I am told by a rubber band? Seem a bit odd.
burton73
I believe that these covers are for recall to stop water from mixing with the Battery said and that was the quick fix from factory. I have a brand new one for the 75 I just bought and the recall was in the recites with everything Porsche did to the POs car. Rubber band is good for a while to hold it on. I am not going to run it just keep mine for the originality of car

Bob B
shades.gif
UROpartsman
This is the first-generation Battery Cover, which was attached with a large black square-profile rubber band (p/n 010 409 549B, still available last we checked). The covers helped prevent rain or wash water from getting inside the open-cell batteries (overfilling resulted in battery acid running into the the hell hole), and are quite desirable for proper restorations of pre-75 cars.
rgalla9146
So what was the path of the rubber band ?
How did it put tension on the cover. ?
Can someone post a pic of how to install ?
drem914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 13 2020, 03:35 PM) *

So what was the path of the rubber band ?
How did it put tension on the cover. ?
Can someone post a pic of how to install ?

This is exactly my question. I have it on a currently and is held in place by the ground cable.
not enough wind or vibration to shake it loose.

Click to view attachment
michelko
Here you can see how it is secured

Michael
rgalla9146
QUOTE(michelko @ Feb 14 2020, 06:23 AM) *

Michael

Perfect !
Never saw that picture before.
Thank you.
I hope my battery has an edge like that to catch the band.
drem914
QUOTE(michelko @ Feb 14 2020, 03:23 AM) *

Michael

Thank you!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes a black rubber bank, round in profile. Believe it or not a factory original part

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Bat...010409549B.html

QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 13 2020, 12:07 PM) *

I have on of those black plastic covers for the battery.

Click to view attachment
How are they held on? I am told by a rubber band? Seem a bit odd.
michelko
The pic is taken from the factory repair manual.
That is a brilliant source for information.
Michael
drem914
Sadly, doesn't look like I have any front or back lip on my battery to hold the band on. The lips are on the ends of the battery only. sad.gif
JeffBowlsby
The battery cover shown above is the earlier style from the first recall 9J in October 1970. The later HO recall in 1977 featured the later smooth top style battery cover which just snapped on and did not have the rubber band. Of course either is correct for a 914 but if your car was around for the 1977 HO recall that’s the most current version, especially if you have the HO sticker in the front trunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.