Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official Northeast Anniversary Gathering Info Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Big Len
This is a Porsche Club of America sponsored event, which means PCA is helping with some insurance issues and everyone making reservations for the weekend will get a very nice commemorative gift.

The hotel is the Super 8 by Wyndham booking for the nights of July 17, 18, and 19 which is a Friday and Saturday, departing on Sunday. This hotel has good reviews, was recently renovated, has a continental breakfast, and is centrally located within striking distance of the Delaware River and the Poconos. The group rate is $76.50 a night, 2 people, for a total of $169.96. a terrific rate. No other discounts can be applied and it is cancel-able and it is reserve now and pay later. I am not certain what the rate would be if you only wanted to stay only one night, but it is possible it may be higher.

Super 8 by Wyndham
340 Green Tree Drive
East Stroudsburg, PA
570 420 - 7267 - Select the Front Desk
YOU MUST USE "PORSCHE 914 GATHERING" to get the rate. No payment is necessary at this time.

THE CUTOFF DATE FOR RESERVATIONS IS JULY 1 !!! After that, planning dinner and activities becomes impossible.

Come at your leisure on Friday as check in is after 2 pm and no dinner is planned, just a meet and greet at night.
Saturday - After breakfast, quick driver's meeting, then off to cruise some great roads with the targas off. We'll stop for lunch and several pictures along the way. Back to the hotel after 3 pm for 2 tech session and a mini swap meet (post what you're looking for) Because of dining out is impaired by this damn virus, we're going to a good old BBQ with dogs, great burgers, and my traditional spicy jerk wings. Then, if we have time, heading to a local car meet with the Lost in Time Car Club, who have their normal Saturday night get together. and welcomed us to join them. Later in the evening, we'll raffle off some very cool stuff donated by our very generous 914/Porsche suppliers and vendors, a few games, and a few beers.

Couple of points - It will be good to see some people I haven't seen in a while, the people are equal to the cars, terrific. And I can't stop you but please, only if your 914 is temporarily out of service and due to the nature of our weekend, no 911s, 944s, 968s, or any other 9 series that doesn't include one four. Thanks.
See ya there.
mepstein
Len, thanks so much for doing this. beerchug.gif
saigon71
Reservations made. driving.gif aktion035.gif
BeatNavy
This sounds awesome, Len. Thanks for putting this together beer.gif
Dion
Thanks Len! Sounds great. Will be booking.
@mepstein , hope that passenger seat is still open biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Dion @ Feb 25 2020, 09:41 PM) *

Thanks Len! Sounds great. Will be booking.
@mepstein , hope that passenger seat is still open biggrin.gif

yep
@Dion
beerchug.gif
Porschef
Nice job Len, thanks beerchug.gif
914dave
I’m booked. Starting to play around with driving routes. We should have a great time folks!
dcheek
Len,

Great idea! And thanks for not making it the same date as the All Air Cooled Gathering.

Dave
BeatNavy
I went ahead and made my resos, although the guy I spoke to could find no group under our name ("Porsche 914 Gathering"). Anyone else have any issues? I can call back at some point and try to get that cleared up.

Thanks again, Len. REALLY hoping family commitments don't bollocks this up for me somehow.
914dave
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Feb 26 2020, 09:48 AM) *

I went ahead and made my resos, although the guy I spoke to could find no group under our name ("Porsche 914 Gathering"). Anyone else have any issues? I can call back at some point and try to get that cleared up.

Thanks again, Len. REALLY hoping family commitments don't bollocks this up for me somehow.

Rob
Did you call the number from this post? It directs you straight to this particular super 8. The national 800 number can’t seem to find the group. I had the same problem twice yesterday. I would call the number at the top of this post if I were you. They will straighten it out.
Dave
914dave
FYI making reservations. Guys and gals. Please use the number at the top of this post to make your reservations and get your group discount. This is the direct # to the actual hotel. If you search the hotel online, it will give you a national 800 number. They cannot seem to find our group and discount. I was disconnect twice trying to transfer to our hotel from that national center. So do yourself a favor and use the number on the top of this post. Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!
BeatNavy
QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 26 2020, 10:38 AM) *

Rob
Did you call the number from this post? It directs you straight to this particular super 8. The national 800 number can’t seem to find the group. I had the same problem twice yesterday. I would call the number at the top of this post if I were you. They will straighten it out.
Dave

Good call, Dave. Yes, I pushed "1" to make a reservation, which transferred me to the national customer service line, apparently. You should instead push "3" to get the front desk of the actual hotel. See, I was so anxious to make the reso I couldn't even get past option 1 on the phone.

All better now smile.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 26 2020, 08:31 AM) *

Len,

Great idea! And thanks for not making it the same date as the All Air Cooled Gathering.

Dave

I did not want this to interfere with the ACG or Ockteenerfest or Hershey, which are all awesome events. It's right in the middle and gives you time to enjoy those weekends if money or time is tight. No way I miss "the Gathering", which I partially plagiarized the name smile.gif
StarBear
Awesome, Len! driving.gif Will confirm soon. Presume significant others are invited, too?
Big Len
Absolutely. Room rate is for 2.
Big Len
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Feb 26 2020, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 26 2020, 10:38 AM) *

Rob
Dave

Good call, Dave. Yes, I pushed "1" to make a reservation, which transferred me to the national customer service line, apparently. You should instead push "3" to get the front desk of the actual hotel. See, I was so anxious to make the reso I couldn't even get past option 1 on the phone.

All better now smile.gif

Corrected in opening thread, thanks.
StarBear
Wife is not overwhelmed at going but will for me (as a safety guide and someone to work the GPS in case we get lost...). Hopefully, some others will bring "significant others", too.
Onward!
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 26 2020, 04:35 PM) *

Absolutely. Room rate is for 2.

Dion
Room is booked. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
Betty and I were considering coming.

It is a little over 1500 miles from our house. One route goes through Virginia and past DC, one route goes within 10 miles of my Father's home town in West Virginia, and one goes through the north end of the Youngstown suburb that I used to live in during the 70s.

What are you going to be doing? Any cool drives?

idea.gif Clay
Grosbard
Booked it! Len, thanks so much for doing this!
rgolia
I am booked piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 28 2020, 01:42 PM) *

It is a little over 1500 miles from our house. One route goes through Virginia and past DC, one route goes within 10 miles of my Father's home town in West Virginia, and one goes through the north end of the Youngstown suburb that I used to live in during the 70s.

idea.gif Clay

Man, if you came from that distance Clay, we'd have to come up with some kind of Iron Butt award.
The drive is really the whole point, well that and meeting all the attendees. There isn't any car show or tech stuff, unless someone breaks down in the parking lot biggrin.gif . It's the drive and there are some awesome roads around there winding thru the Poconos. Since they're relatively local, SaigonBob and 914dave will be routing out the route when the weather is a bit more hospitable with some stops for pics and lunch along the way. Sunday may have another cruise, but we have time to figure that out. Betty and you would be very welcome.
Porschef
QUOTE(StarBear @ Feb 26 2020, 04:15 PM) *

Awesome, Len! driving.gif Will confirm soon. Presume significant others are invited, too?

I’ll be bringing my significant other, both she and Linda are very capable of conversational topics other than car related stuff... biggrin.gif beer.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 28 2020, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 28 2020, 01:42 PM) *

idea.gif Clay

Man, if you came from that distance Clay, we'd have to come up with some kind of Iron Butt award.
The drive is really the whole point, well that and meeting all the attendees. There isn't any car show or tech stuff, unless someone breaks down in the parking lot biggrin.gif . It's the drive and there are some awesome roads around there winding thru the Poconos. Since they're relatively local, SaigonBob and 914dave will be routing out the route when the weather is a bit more hospitable with some stops for pics and lunch along the way. Sunday may have another cruise, but we have time to figure that out. Betty and you would be very welcome.

If you really want to turn this into the "NorthEast Ramble" (Or whatever you want to call it), I will be glad to help. You just need 3 things (Tour, Car Show, Tech Session) for PCA Sig sponsorship. And you get insurance and a subsidy. There are people that can help you with getting sponsors, how to submit SIG paperwork, and all the little fiddily bits that you have to do for it. But it is worth it in the end.
A car show is one of the easiest parts of the event. You find a field, park the cars by type, put numbers on them, and give out ballots. It then becomes an afternoon of sitting around and talking 914s with friends.

I also like to do a "Blind Autocross" too. It is a very simple event. No helmets, and you can time it with a stop watch. The course consists of 5 cones. Two are used for the start/finish line. The rest are a straight slalom, just out and back. The trick is that it is a team event. The driver is wearing a blindfold, and the passenger has to tell them where to go. Watching is more fun that actually driving.

Let me know if you want some help with getting started as a PCA event.

Clay
rgolia
QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 28 2020, 04:24 PM) *

I am booked piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Btw - I was the 7th reservation for our group according to the lovely lady I spoke with at the hotel. Len, this is a great idea and thanks for pulling it together. I am willing to help with details in any capacity I am probably 1.5 hrs from the hotel.
Big Len

If you really want to turn this into the "NorthEast Ramble" (Or whatever you want to call it), I will be glad to help. You just need 3 things (Tour, Car Show, Tech Session) for PCA Sig sponsorship. And you get insurance and a subsidy. There are people that can help you with getting sponsors, how to submit SIG paperwork, and all the little fiddily bits that you have to do for it. But it is worth it in the end.
A car show is one of the easiest parts of the event. You find a field, park the cars by type, put numbers on them, and give out ballots. It then becomes an afternoon of sitting around and talking 914s with friends.

I also like to do a "Blind Autocross" too. It is a very simple event. No helmets, and you can time it with a stop watch. The course consists of 5 cones. Two are used for the start/finish line. The rest are a straight slalom, just out and back. The trick is that it is a team event. The driver is wearing a blindfold, and the passenger has to tell them where to go. Watching is more fun that actually driving.

Clay
[/quote]

Clay - Your post prompted me to inquire what is a SIG? I looked it up (Special Interest Group) and eventually emailed the lead PCA SIG 914 person, who got back to me asking for details, which I sent yesterday.

My thoughts and original plans for this weekend are not written in stone, but meeting these SIG requirements (Drive, Show, and tech session) were not what I had in mind, mainly because of time, but other reasons too.

I didn't want anyone attending to feel this weekend included work and after driving to the venue and having a cruise the next day with all the ensuing bug hits, it would force owners to wash their cars to get ready for the following show. I don't want them to do that. If they feel they want to clean their cars, do so because they want to, not because they have to. Without a show after the cruise, we have a couple of hours of free time before leaving for dinner, If you want to jump in the pool, have a couple of long necks, make a carb adjustment, take a nap, or wash your car, go ahead, you have time.

The tech session is possible. My first thought was Ralph (he's gonna love this). His car is loaded with an interesting mix of LEDs, a cool and easy tech upgrading session that requires no tools and minimal time. If he's willing, we could do this.

Just my opinion and I'll listen to others, but I don't want a highly structured, itinerary filled event for which there is very limited time as there is really only one day. I want people to relax, enjoy the cars and the people who drive them, without any stress of meeting a rigid schedule. But James (the PCA SIG lead) will get back to me this week. If it doesn't interfere with the relaxed schedule and I'm still unclear to the advantages in regards to insurance, we'll take a close look at it. Maybe we can implement something in keeping the basic premise.

StarBear
Great! My wife will greatly appreciate that (also "appreciates" my 914, but not all that into cars in general...)
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 29 2020, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Feb 26 2020, 04:15 PM) *

I’ll be bringing my significant other, both she and Linda are very capable of conversational topics other than car related stuff... biggrin.gif beer.gif

StarBear
I concur, Len. Maybe a Tech Session (including participants' "most interesting hidden 914 secret"), but not a show or anything serious - just fun, friendship, fresh air and those sweet air-cooled sounds.

[quote name='Big Len' date='Mar 1 2020, 10:04 AM' post='2790483']

Clay
[/quote]

Clay - Your post prompted me to inquire what is a SIG? I looked it up (Special Interest Group) and eventually emailed the lead PCA SIG 914 person, who got back to me asking for details, which I sent yesterday.

My thoughts and original plans for this weekend are not written in stone, but meeting these SIG requirements (Drive, Show, and tech session) were not what I had in mind, mainly because of time, but other reasons too.

I didn't want anyone attending to feel this weekend included work and after driving to the venue and having a cruise the next day with all the ensuing bug hits, it would force owners to wash their cars to get ready for the following show. I don't want them to do that. If they feel they want to clean their cars, do so because they want to, not because they have to. Without a show after the cruise, we have a couple of hours of free time before leaving for dinner, If you want to jump in the pool, have a couple of long necks, make a carb adjustment, take a nap, or wash your car, go ahead, you have time.

The tech session is possible. My first thought was Ralph (he's gonna love this). His car is loaded with an interesting mix of LEDs, a cool and easy tech upgrading session that requires no tools and minimal time. If he's willing, we could do this.

Just my opinion and I'll listen to others, but I don't want a highly structured, itinerary filled event for which there is very limited time as there is really only one day. I want people to relax, enjoy the cars and the people who drive them, without any stress of meeting a rigid schedule. But James (the PCA SIG lead) will get back to me this week. If it doesn't interfere with the relaxed schedule and I'm still unclear to the advantages in regards to insurance, we'll take a close look at it. Maybe we can implement something in keeping the basic premise.
[/quote]
Big Len
To add, I think all of us attending a local car meet ( to which we're being welcomed) would be interesting and more fun than a show consisting just of our cars. Just my opinion.
rgolia
Len - more than happy to show and talk about led upgrades. I’ll give you a call.
saigon71
Heard from Steve Limbert of Aircooled Racing. They are booked.

Thanks for making this happen Len! beerchug.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 10 2020, 06:22 PM) *

Heard from Steve Limbert of Aircooled Racing. They are booked.

Thanks for making this happen Len! beerchug.gif

Excellent. This will be epic.....well, fun at least.
rgalla9146
Booked.
rmital
BOOKED....really get a kick out of how nice people are from PA.
had a nice conversation with the woman who took my reservation.

looking forward to this event.
Thanks Len!
914dave
Looks like this weekend is shaping up!!!
ValcoOscar
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

So glad Len stepped up to make this happen. beerchug.gif

Have fun, and I can't wait to finish a few loose ends on existing projects so I can get back and focus on finishing a nice SWAG Box for you guys.

smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif idea.gif blowtorch.gif welder.gif

I'll be there in spirit.

Oscar
Big Len
Thanks so much Oscar.
Have a couple of surprises in the works. It should be a blast.
mepstein
I just booked. driving.gif
Big Len
A whole lot of crap has happened since this was first posted and many have booked their rooms. But with 17 weeks to go, I'm going to rely on a combination of faith, science, and optimism that the country will be in far better shape in July than it is right now. In the broad scheme of things, a cruise is a pretty low priority, but more focused decisions can be made later. But for right now, we're still a go.
StarBear

QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 25 2020, 07:49 PM) *

A whole lot of crap has happened since this was first posted and many have booked their rooms. But with 17 weeks to go, I'm going to rely on a combination of faith, science, and optimism that the country will be in far better shape in July than it is right now. In the broad scheme of things, a cruise is a pretty low priority, but more focused decisions can be made later. But for right now, we're still a go.

cheer.gif
Porschef
agree.gif

rgalla9146
agree.gif

Time will tell
14carrot
Hi Big Len!

Thanks for setting this up!!! Tony A just filled me in as I somehow missed it. I missed catching up with all you NE guys at Hershey this year and can't wait. I sure hope it is a go! And to have Steve attending is phenomenal (fingers crossed the #19 car can make an appearance). I will be cross posting in the SIG914 Updates thread in case there are other crazy Canucks willing to make the trek.

My problem is that I have a driver development 3-day track weekend at Mosport booked for the same days! Aaarggh!!! The chance exists that schedules may have to change, so I will make it if I can.

Should I be able to go, you won't see a confirmation from me at the hotel as I'm bunking at Tony's place but we'll both be there, God willing. Hopefully you guys will let us hang at your hotel for socializing. Please don't laugh at my narrow body tribute to the Sonauto 914-6 lol-2.gif All done in the spirit of this special year. I'll try to bring a little something along for participants too if I can come. We are still hoping to have our SIG914 24 Minutes of Le Mans August 1-2.

Click to view attachment

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341094

Prayers for the world and being able to return to some sense of normal. Take care everybody - my thoughts are with you all - especially those on the front line like Dion.

A 914 tour is the kind of medicine we need right now. - John
theer
Hoping to be able to make this event! Thanks for organizing!
Porschef
Hoping, as I’m sure we all are, that by the time this rolls around, things are somewhat normal...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

beerchug.gif beer3.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(14carrot @ Apr 2 2020, 12:21 PM) *

Hi Big Len!

Thanks for setting this up!!! Tony A just filled me in as I somehow missed it. I missed catching up with all you NE guys at Hershey this year and can't wait. I sure hope it is a go! And to have Steve attending is phenomenal (fingers crossed the #19 car can make an appearance). I will be cross posting in the SIG914 Updates thread in case there are other crazy Canucks willing to make the trek.

My problem is that I have a driver development 3-day track weekend at Mosport booked for the same days! Aaarggh!!! The chance exists that schedules may have to change, so I will make it if I can.

Should I be able to go, you won't see a confirmation from me at the hotel as I'm bunking at Tony's place but we'll both be there, God willing. Hopefully you guys will let us hang at your hotel for socializing. Please don't laugh at my narrow body tribute to the Sonauto 914-6 lol-2.gif All done in the spirit of this special year. I'll try to bring a little something along for participants too if I can come. We are still hoping to have our SIG914 24 Minutes of Le Mans August 1-2.

Click to view attachment

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341094

Prayers for the world and being able to return to some sense of normal. Take care everybody - my thoughts are with you all - especially those on the front line like Dion.

A 914 tour is the kind of medicine we need right now. - John

You're more than welcome to hang anywhere and that goes for anyone who can only make a segment.
Big Len
I have no idea what's going to happen in the next 13 weeks, but I do know I want to have this gathering happen more than ever before. And after talking to several attendees, all still want to come, so delaying a final decision until the beginning of June seems reasonable. Praying that some of life's normalcy returns, we are still on.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 25 2020, 05:14 PM) *

For years, I drooled over the pictures posted from the WCR, Red Rocks, Route 66, and Ockteenerfest weekends. The closest, Okteenerfest, was a 10 - 13 hour drive and I'm just not willing to do that. So we planned something similar at little closer to the center of the northeast, East Stroudsburg Pennsylvania, in hopes of drawing a pretty wide audience and a diversity of cars and owners who believe the 50th anniversary is a pretty damn special thing.

So here's the unrefined outline:
The hotel is the Super 8 by Wyndham booking for the nights of July 17, 18, and 19 which is a Friday and Saturday, departing on Sunday. This hotel has good reviews, was recently renovated, has a continental breakfast, an indoor pool, and is centrally located within striking distance of the Delaware River and the Poconos. The group rate is $76.50 a night, 2 people, for a total of $169.96. a terrific rate. No other discounts can be applied and it is cancel-able and it is reserve now and pay later. I am not certain what the rate would be if you only wanted to stay only one night, but it is possible it may be higher.

Super 8 by Wyndham
340 Green Tree Drive
East Stroudsburg, PA
570 420 - 7267 - Select the Front Desk
YOU MUST USE "PORSCHE 914 GATHERING" to get the rate. No payment is necessary at this time.

Come at your leisure on Friday as check in is after 2 pm and no dinner is planned, just a meet and greet at night.
Saturday - After breakfast, quick driver's meeting, then off to cruise some great roads with the targas off. We'll stop for lunch and several pictures along the way. Back to the hotel after 3 pm for a jump in the pool or throw a couple back or both. Later, off to dinner together at a predetermined place. Then, heading to a local car meet with the Lost in Time Car Club, who have their normal Saturday night get together. and welcomed us to join them. Back at the hotel after and break out the traditional gas can.

Couple of points - We're gonna come up with something commemorative thing to give to everybody. It will be good to see some people I haven't seen in a while, the people are equal to the cars, terrific. And I can't stop you but please, due to the nature of our weekend, no 911s, 944s, 968s, or any other 9 series that doesn't include one four. Thanks.
See ya there.

Wow! Thanks I know this stuff takes a lot of effort...now, I just gotta get my motor done, a great goal for me to shoot for! Thanks
shag
I just made reservations at the Super 8, and am looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone. If there is anything I can do to help you all please let me know. Thanks alot for having this get together. John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.