Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pumping gas? Wear a disposable glove
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RickS
PSA: The virus is being spread at gas pumps and their keypads, so unless you are a manly man with total immunity, glove up and then toss before getting back into your car.
BK911
Good post. I use a paper towel, but same concept.
Mueller
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 24 2020, 10:24 AM) *

PSA: The virus is being spread at gas pumps and their keypads, so unless you are a manly man with total immunity, glove up and then toss before getting back into your car.

Toss in trash smile.gif

The parking lot at Safeway was littered with gloves last week.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 24 2020, 01:52 PM) *

Toss in trash smile.gif

Yes, trash. You have to wonder what is wrong with some people when they think it's ok to just drop their trash on the ground.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 24 2020, 01:24 PM) *

No glove for me.

No ass gaskets either! And after all these years I've never caught Ebola, flesh eating bacteria, or any communicable disease from all the public toilets I've taken a dump on over the years. Learned to take a dump in the military with some yahoo staring at you while you wipe your ass. Some how I survived. Go figure. confused24.gif

I guess I've been living on the wild side and never knew it.
jim_hoyland
The stations here have Hand Sanitizer dispensers on the side of each pump.... smile.gif
mepstein
Except for driving to Maine to pickup my daughter from college, I’m driving very little these days.
Porschef
It’s amazing how disgusting people can be when things get a little stressful, I do the food shopping and see lots of latex/nitrile gloves on the ground outside markets, even within tossing distance of a garbage can.

I keep a bottle of water and a Norwex cloth in the cars, anytime I get in the vehicle I wipe down my hands, steering wheel, gear shift, etc. since it’s difficult to find hand sanitizer now.

Not to mention it’s just good practice.

Stay healthy all... beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2020, 02:09 PM) *

Toss in trash smile.gif

Yes, trash. You have to wonder what is wrong with some people when they think it's ok to just drop their trash on the ground.

Absolutely.
I've picked up litter and handed it back to litterbugs.
Plain ignorance.
My wife and kids say I'll get shot someday.
Not touching anything these days.
rjames
Indeed. Glad I have a couple boxes of disposable gloves in the garage.

For those who blatantly disregard following safe practices, you're not only endangering yourself, you're endangering the lives others.
rgb91424
Watch out at the ATMs also.
Cairo94507
I hate litterbugs and always have. Shows a complete lack of respect for people and the community. If it were me sitting on the bench in court, any litterbug would be fined $5K and 500 hours community service cleaning the streets and highways. Can't pay, go sit in jail for 90 days actual and then do your 500 hours.
Superhawk996
Always used a condom with chicks I didn't know, or at least until I learned their name. aktion035.gif Oops, earlier post meant COVID-19 safe practices.

As a theoretical question, if I were to go out in a Tyvek suit, gloves, and with a full on respirator. How far would I get before I got accused of causing undue panic? What if I attempted to go though the airport this way? Do you think TSA would object? Would I get arrested? Of course, I'd only be taking basic precautions to protect myself and the lives of others.

For the record, CDC safe practices recommendation is to wash hands frequently. Nothing about the use of gloves at gas pumps or anywhere else. Nothing about recommending community to wear masks unless they are sick. The public's overuse of both masks and gloves is what is leading to the shortage for medical personnel (of masks).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/p...prevention.html

Can't necessarily believe CDC though. Remember they are the very same dopes that completely botched up test kits both in terms of accuracy (initial kits were producing false results) and also in the overall distribution of kits. Well, at least they have a nice web site. Thanks, but, I already know to wash my hands frequently during the flu season.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615323/w...avirus-testing/
pt_700
had to put gas in the klr today. most stations have paper in the windshield wash stations.
burton73
I totally wear disposable gloves when I go anywhere to market, ATM, gas stations. Opening mail box, opening front door

I remove and put hand sanitizer on when gloves come off in SUV.

My wire is immune comprised from Chemo last year so I am overly carful and 67 so we treat it like our lives are at risk.

In Los Angles is a hot spot but not as hot as my son has it in NYC.

Bob B

BE SAFE OUT THERE
Larmo63
Whatever. I haven't done one thing differently other than try to buy buttwipe for my panicking girlfriend.

We have about 15 rolls at home and she's worried we are going to run out. bootyshake.gif
Gint
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2020, 03:58 PM) *
Except for driving to Maine to pickup my daughter from college, I’m driving very little these days.

Right? I can't remember the last time I put gas in a car.
pete000
It's hard, but I'm trying to avoid touching anything public period. I am so glad I always have gloves for working on cars. Wearing them anytime we go anywhere outside the house these days.
Mark Henry
Gloves are not all the protection you may think they are, viruses cling quite well to latex.

Wash you hands, don't touch your face, your mouth, eyes, nose are the most like entry points. My wife can't stress this enough, the average person touches their face 20 times an hour. Hands in your pockets! If you must scratch you face use a Kleenex.
If you do use gloves wash your hands as soon as you take them off. If you use gloves in high risk areas you have to remove them (and wash) before before entering your safe areas. Viruses stick best on hard non porous surfaces, Stainless steel, hard plastic, tap handles, phones, door handles, shopping cart handles, etc.

Number one is if you don't have to go anywhere stay home. If you do have to go out no crowds, 2 meters (6-7 feet) social distancing.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 26 2020, 01:36 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2020, 03:58 PM) *

Right? I can't remember the last time I put gas in a car.

My truck gets 13MPG and I filled it two weeks ago...
gandalf_025
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 25 2020, 02:00 PM) *

I hate litterbugs and always have. Shows a complete lack of respect for people and the community. If it were me sitting on the bench in court, any litterbug would be fined $5K and 500 hours community service cleaning the streets and highways. Can't pay, go sit in jail for 90 days actual and then do your 500 hours.

I get pissed off when I see people let their dogs shit
anywhere and don’t pick it up....
Even worse are those that do pick it up and drop the
bag and walk away...
I’ve confronted people and they say..We were gonna
pick it up on the way back... Yeah, it is still there the
next day....
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 25 2020, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2020, 02:09 PM) *

Toss in trash smile.gif

Absolutely.
I've picked up litter and handed it back to litterbugs.
Plain ignorance.
My wife and kids say I'll get shot someday.
Not touching anything these days.

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 26 2020, 09:25 AM) *

I get pissed off when I see people let their dogs shit
anywhere and don’t pick it up....
Even worse are those that do pick it up and drop the
bag and walk away...
I’ve confronted people and they say..We were gonna
pick it up on the way back... Yeah, it is still there the
next day....

same here, it drives me crazy and have confronted litter butts before, one was a guy throwing his cigarette butt half burned still burning on the ground, asked him if he was going to pick that up, I got out picked it up and threw it in his car, asked him if he didn't like it maybe he'd prefer a $500 fine, the other was a guy leaving their dog shit bag on the road in front of our house(gated community) - followed them home and threw it on their yard so they could see it. NO I an not putting up with that crap especially in my neighborhood. I have to say I have not seen gloves discarded in parking lots around here like you guy have seen in your areas, but in general there I have found over the years there is a general lack of care from certain back grounds of people, both socio-economical but also just culturally and continentally. but I have to say if you go to my home town in MN, and I observed this many years ago, and it is still true, and that is either Scandinavian or German heritage peoples tend to have a heritage and pride about cleanliness. Even in the poorest areas of my home town, you didn't ever see trash or junk in the yard. A car that broke down was removed not left, the yard is well kept, the house clean and maintained, no matter how poor they are, but that kind of behavior is to much a degree taught, learned. Why do we need rules in a community or a gated neighborhood that requires people to do this?? because they were not taught this, and it was not part of their heritage. in fact growing up in the mid-west I never saw the kind of trash in ditches and cars in yards etc until I move to the southeast(SC). it is an interesting sociological discussion. sorry for the rant, but I think if you really pay attention to this you will see it does follow a heritage or person group, not just necessarily a socio-economic groups. I have a friend that goes to other countries on mission work and has observed the same thing. He told me xxxxx country does not have a culture of what he called "maintaining". if it breaks or quits, leave it on the side of the road, broken down crap all over the roads.
ejm
Back to the hazard at the gas pump

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
agree.gif
Besides the arm halfway up her bunghole, look at all the ciggy butts on the ground...AT a fuching gas pump!

huh.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2020, 10:05 AM) *

agree.gif
Besides the arm halfway up her bunghole, look at all the ciggy butts on the ground...AT a fuching gas pump!

huh.gif

Had to put it out somewhere . . . just like the sign said. lol-2.gif

Reminds me of the song "Signs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epbOHloSpZM
DRPHIL914
speaking of pumping gas- one slight benefit of the drop in oil price and current economic issues , cheapest gas i’ve bought for 15 years!!
horizontally-opposed
Trying to remember the last time I saw a "1" on the front of a gallon of gas in CA.

Last time I saw a "0." on gas was regular unleaded at an ARCO in the early 1990s.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 26 2020, 12:59 PM) *

Trying to remember the last time I saw a "1" on the front of a gallon of gas in CA.

Last time I saw a "0." on gas was regular unleaded at an ARCO in the early 1990s.

Don't think you'll ever see a 0 again. Too much inflation due to money printing since 1990's. sheeplove.gif

In case no one noticed, there will be another giant round of money printing related to COVID. Spend those $ and buy real assets while you can before prices go up even more.
NS914
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 25 2020, 02:10 PM) *

Indeed. Glad I have a couple boxes of disposable gloves in the garage.

For those who blatantly disregard following safe practices, you're not only endangering yourself, you're endangering the lives others.

This is such an important comment...the OP may have been joking for sure but truly, try to be a good role model for your kids and all around you...take this seriously...it has taken off all over the world and in North America re USA and Canada....it is now moving very quickly and killing a lot of people....now including young people...this is not just about older, resp compromised, pre existing conditions....very healthy people are being afflicted!

Think of those around you and in your neighborhood and community.

Grant
SirAndy
I just use my work gloves that i keep in the car. The virus can't survive long enough outside a human body to last between fillups.
shades.gif

NS914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2020, 09:46 AM) *

Gloves are not all the protection you may think they are, viruses cling quite well to latex.

Wash you hands, don't touch your face, your mouth, eyes, nose are the most like entry points. My wife can't stress this enough, the average person touches their face 20 times an hour. Hands in your pockets! If you must scratch you face use a Kleenex.
If you do use gloves wash your hands as soon as you take them off. If you use gloves in high risk areas you have to remove them (and wash) before before entering your safe areas. Viruses stick best on hard non porous surfaces, Stainless steel, hard plastic, tap handles, phones, door handles, shopping cart handles, etc.

Number one is if you don't have to go anywhere stay home. If you do have to go out no crowds, 2 meters (6-7 feet) social distancing.

Mark, you and your wife are dead on!

Grant
Superhawk996
Unfortunately as an engieer by trade, I'm data driven. Let's keep the data in perspective.

Deaths from the seasonal flu US only
Click to view attachment

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

World wide deaths attributable to Coronavirus
Click to view attachment

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it or anyone else to catch Corona but we've lost our minds.

Yes, I understand Corona isn't over, and hasn't peaked yet. I will continue to be data driven and not driven by fear and emotion.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 03:23 PM) *
I'm data driven

If you were really "data driven" you would know how to put two sets of numbers in relation to each other.

Your "apples to oranges" approach is anything but "data driven". Our interns can do better than that.
dry.gif

Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 03:23 PM) *
I'm data driven

If you were really "data driven" you would know how to put two sets of numbers in relation to each other.

Your "apples to oranges" approach is anything but "data driven". Our interns can do better than that.
dry.gif

We will never have apples to apples deaths between the US only and the World. Especially so in light of the criteria currently being used to overstate Corona deaths. But I'll roll with the current worldwide Corona number as stated which is surely being stated as high as possible.

However the fact reamins World wide COVID deaths (as of today) are less than US deaths in past years of the simple flu.

Even if we want to talk about US only. Look at the seasonal flu affected population for US. Approximately 10%. We are no where near 10% of the US population affected by Corona. We're a far cry from 30M-40M of US affected population for the seasonal flu and it's associated deaths.

From previous link for country by country COVID

Click to view attachment
mepstein
All you need to do to get a true sense of what’s happening is to talk to a health care professional who is currently working in a hospital. It’s terrible and only getting worse.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 03:38 PM) *
However the fact reamins World wide COVID deaths (as of today) are less than US deaths in past years of the simple flu.

So you admit that you don't know how to related those numbers correctly?

In order to get anything meaningful out of comparing covid-19 to the normal flu you need to use the ratio of infected people vs dead people and compare those ratios.

Comparing the absolute numbers does not tell you anything about the death rate. This is simple 3rd grade math.
dry.gif

PS: The whole purpose of the current "stay at home" response is to keep the total number of infected people low. Because if we just let it run and we get as many people infected as the normal flu does each year, we won't have enough cemetery space to bury all the dead.
headbang.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 07:23 PM) *

In order to get anything meaningful out of comparing covid-19 to the normal flu you need to use the ratio of infected people vs dead people and compare those ratios.

Comparing the absolute numbers does not tell you anything about the death rate. This is simple 3rd grade math.
dry.gif

PS: The whole purpose of the current "stay at home" response is to keep the total number of infected people low. Because if we just let it run and we get as many people infected as the normal flu does each year, we won't have enough cemetery space to bury all the dead.
headbang.gif

Please post the number that you would like to use and we'll do the 3rd grade math. May I suggest that we start with the number of COVID infected people?
jkb944t
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 07:23 PM) *

dry.gif

headbang.gif

agree.gif

Please take this seriously since it is substantial problem for everyone especially the poor healthcare workers that must deal with this scary situation.

Jeff B
Tdskip
I’m sensing it might be time to let this thread get archived.

It’s nice, and I’d suggest important, to keep this forum free of politics.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 26 2020, 07:44 PM) *

I'm game for that. I've let this get a little to far out of hand. No disrespect to anyone intended and I thank @SirAndy for letting it go on this long. Honetly, I appreciate the debate and the pushback and most certainly that SirAndy could have shut me down any time he wanted to.
RickS
The OP, me, was only kidding about manly men which is secret code for men who think the virus is not real and choose to take their, and others, lives in their own hands - so to speak. The rest was dead serious. With ongoing glove shortages, I like the idea of hanging on to the glove you used, that’s if it ages at least 15 days. 15 days is today’s news about how long the virus can survive on a hard surface.

Wife and I have a used glove clothesline in the garage, where we date the used date, and then hang them for 20 days before reuse. Will do this until gloves become available again.
914_teener
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 04:47 PM) *

I'm game for that. I've let this get a little to far out of hand. No disrespect to anyone intended and I thank @SirAndy for letting it go on this long. Honetly, I appreciate the debate and the pushback and most certainly that SirAndy could have shut me down any time he wanted to.

I.m an engineer and your basis is comparing to two different sets in an attempt to correlate the result while at the same time stating that the data input is entirely and absolutely correct and then drawing conclusions that you believe are absolutely correct.

Frankly I surprised that Andy actually engaged the discussion

That is my observation from your statements.
Larmo63
I don't notice a difference in much of anything here in Orange County. Other than the traffic is a lot lighter getting to work and no toilet paper, quite normal. My clients aren't cancelling. I don't know anybody who is sick and I don't know anybody who has died. I know that is anecdotal, but going around like scared cats is not my thing.

All we have is media telling us the sky is falling and that we are doomed. I don't buy it.

popcorn[1].gif
DRPHIL914
true totals exposed individuals are not know but not long ago when reported positive tests were about 50,000, one of the CDC scientists estimates there were most likely about 1,000,000 actual exposed in the U.S. at that time deaths rate was .3% based on “known” exposures. it this is the case then we are actually talking deathrates much less than flu, but truth be told we don’t know exactly how many are truely exposed. one thing we can agree on, no matter how many it’s too many. might be able to keep it from becoming yearly cyclical reoccurring issue like flu. hopefully we can keep that from happening with current measures being taken, if not it’s going to be pretty bad.
914_teener
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 26 2020, 05:30 PM) *

I don't notice a difference in much of anything here in Orange County. Other than the traffic is a lot lighter getting to work and no toilet paper, quite normal. My clients aren't cancelling. I don't know anybody who is sick and I don't know anybody who has died. I know that is anecdotal, but going around like scared cats is not my thing.

All we have is media telling us the sky is falling and that we are doomed. I don't buy it.

popcorn[1].gif

I bought Boeing... av-943.gif
Bmw635
$1.xx per gal gas price in S Cal. https://abc7.com/6049010
jfort
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2020, 02:06 PM) *

I just use my work gloves that i keep in the car. The virus can't survive long enough outside a human body to last between fillups.
shades.gif

Can't find hand sanitizer anywhere. I am carrying my shop "Tub of Towels" in the car and wash my hands with a new one throughout the day. Doesn't have the required 60% alcohol but I figure it's better than nothing. Full blown sink and soap routine at home, shop and office.
rjames
Something else to keep in mind when comparing Covid-19 to the "regular flu" is that a vaccine doesn't exist (yet). The deaths for the flu would likely be less if more people got vaccinated.
Deaths from Covid-19 will continue to climb without an effective vaccine and as people dismiss the warnings. If everyone similarly dismissed warnings, the situation would be even worse than it already is. For those going on about their lives as if this wasn't a big deal, the situation could still eventually improve, but it won't be because of you.

There are also indications that people who have recovered from Covid-19 could incur permanent lung damage. 20-30% reduction in lung capacity has been observed in a small sample of people who have recovered. If true, it would probably mean that those people more likely to die if re-infected.

There's science-based information here, including a study showing how long it lives on various surfaces and a link to all of the research data that's been submitted so far:

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-ne...c-research.html
iankarr

I haven't seen politics in this forum (thankfully). Just people who disagree on how to view this crisis and interpret the data. Discourse is never a bad thing. But remember, If you're not an epidemiologist, doctor or infectious disease professional, your opinion is unqualified. That doesn't mean it's wrong...just coming from opinion and not experience. This is one of those times where a little knowledge, combined with the bully pulpit of social media, can be a very dangerous thing.
raynekat
I live in one of the 2 states in the country where you can't pump your own gas (Oregon and NJ). So problem solved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.