Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Porsche Gullwing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ri914
Hello 914world,

So this 914 project started as a desire to build a kit car, something with a v8 but small and light and crazy lambo doors with big brakes and a manual transmission. After seeing how much work it takes I decided to shortcut the complete car fab process. I really wanted to have more of a creative side to fabricating parts and really having fun but not start from scratch. A local friend had a few 914's and was willing to sell me one that needed a lot of work.

It ran and drove but needed some TLC. I googled for a day or so and decided I would buy a LS6 from a 2004 z06 vette. I called the team at Renegade and bought a starter package to get me moving. LS6 with boxsterS 6 speed and lots of conversion goodies.

I started fabbing up the gullwing doors while I waited for the parts to arrive. Yes I said gullwing doors, or frakengullwingdoors. I know people may not like it but they work and I had fun so far. I will slowly add some progress pics and document the process. I am sure I will have a few questions and welcome any tips or suggestions.

Here is the part of the build....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

enjoy
Ben-
ri914
Day 1

1972 914 with a 1.8L & weber carb
Click to view attachment

My build / design team...
Click to view attachment
914werke
welcome.png
popcorn[1].gif
ri914
Current status...

Drivetrain out

LS6 Build process (50%)

New wheels and tires

Skeleton for Gullwing Doors (functional)
ri914
A few Questions for the brake experts...

What should I do for front brakes. I converted the rear to 5 lug, and want to do the same for the fronts. Looking at getting struts and possibly boxsterS calipers?

Can someone give me some ideas. I have not purchased anything yet. Trying to get a solid plan and then start sourcing parts.

thank you
ValcoOscar
welcome.png
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

From the looks of it...not your first rodeo.
Scott and Renegade team are good folks.
LS6 + Boxster trans

Click to view attachment

Oscar

tygaboy
QUOTE(ri914 @ Aug 13 2020, 03:33 PM) *

What should I do for front brakes. I converted the rear to 5 lug, and want to do the same for the fronts. Looking at getting struts and possibly boxsterS calipers?

Can someone give me some ideas. I have not purchased anything yet. Trying to get a solid plan and then start sourcing parts.

thank you

With the weight of the car, the standard Boxster calipers are a good way to go. I'm running 911 rear hubs/rotors hubs and have them on all four corners. I'm using Rich Johnson's adapters.
914forme
popcorn[1].gif Liking this one, build what you want
76-914
Not that I'm up to doing this but I'd like to see some more of those Gullwing doors. welcome.png
914-300Hemi
welcome.png excite to see the build as it progresses
SirAndy
possibly boxsterS calipers?

Like @tygaboy i'm using the standard Boxster calipers front/rear with RJ adapters and they work great, much better than my previous turbo calipers.
bye1.gif

ChrisFoley
See, I told you that you would fit right in and get good answers to your questions. smile.gif
welcome.png
Here's the build thread I said you needed to look at:
Tygaboy's Build Thread
mgp4591
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 13 2020, 05:18 PM) *

thank you

With the weight of the car, the standard Boxster calipers are a good way to go. I'm running 911 rear hubs/rotors hubs and have them on all four corners. I'm using Rich Johnson's adapters.

Chris, are you running 24mm rotors? I am and I read that Sir Andy is but he needed to machine his adapters because they were designed to fit the 20mm rotors...
mbseto
The question with gullwing doors is, if you flip over, how do you get out?
Frankvw
"The question with gullwing doors is, if you flip over, how do you get out?"
well...ofcourse through the escape-hatch in the floor, which will be on top then.....
ri914
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 14 2020, 04:55 PM) *

the windows still roll down, and I guess i could kick the winshield out. I do like the bottom floor trap door idea smile.gif
ri914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 14 2020, 12:22 PM) *

See, I told you that you would fit right in and get good answers to your questions. smile.gif
welcome.png
Here's the build thread I said you needed to look at:
Tygaboy's Build Thread

Chris,

Thank you for the great words of advice and taking time to update me on the forum. In just 48 hrs over 10 people have reached out and I am well on my way! Updates will start flowing in as time increases.

ben-
Porschef
QUOTE(ri914 @ Aug 14 2020, 11:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 14 2020, 04:55 PM) *

the windows still roll down, and I guess i could kick the winshield out. I do like the bottom floor trap door idea smile.gif

Just like a catamaran... beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
This is going to be fun. Can’t wait to se more
ri914
A big thank you to everyone for help with the brakes. Started on the rears this week. Decided on the boxster brakes and using Rich Johnsons kit.

Lots of great threads on how to do all these removal and installs. I tried searching as much as I could. I appreciate all the suggestions and I am really happy with the how the new setup is going.

Definitely a well engineered kit.
tygaboy
Yep, like that!
And now that we helped you, you OWE us. Our first demand is to see pics and written details about the gull wing doors.
Don't make me come to your house... shades.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 27 2020, 08:53 PM) *

You gotta pick me up on the way!
AZBanks
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 28 2020, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 27 2020, 08:53 PM) *

You gotta pick me up on the way!

Sounds like a reasonable request. He's gotta drive by your house/state on the way.
ri914
Ok that is a fair request. I will detail my door build and post some pics tomorrow.
914forme
Do not give Chris @Tygaboy any extra ideas for his build, he needs to stay on track to making it a driver by 9-14-2020
ri914
Ok a few updates.... First I would like to give a big thank you to Stephen (914forme) He really helped me out with sourcing some key components for the brake upgrade!!!
ri914
Ok for the Gullwing Update. Here are the steps.

1: Remove targa top and cut in half.

2: weld in doors support bars from front windshield frame to rear roof to hold doors.

3: remove oem doors from hinges

4: build a metal skeleton and attach to door.

5: connect and shape accordingly to allow door to freely swing up.

6: attach hinges to door support bars

7: test out 18 gas shocks for lift characteristics. Goal is to have the door be neutral or weightless at every angle. 2x46104 and 1x4699 for each door should do the trick.

8: weld in supports on center tunnel to hold the 3rd (4699) shock

9: add bracing until door does not flex.

10: weld in new lock mechanism on base of door and a striker on the door sill.

11. relocate the internal door handle the external latch still works fine.

12: I will add to these as I continue to build them out... each door takes about 4 hours to get to this point.

ri914
Working on getting the engine installed and test fired. Redoing all fuel lines next. Got the tank out (which looks very clean - inside and out)

This weekend my friend Don reprogrammed the LS6 ecu. I wanted the VATS removed but he insisted that about 30 other items needed to be corrected to allow this engine to run. Very cool to see what he is capable of doing. I plan on taking the car there and having him re-tune it on the dyno once everything is installed and the car is drive-able or dynoable.

Adding a sneak peek of my next upgrade. 914 pop-up to 911 led headlights... if people don't yell at me for the gull-wing doors this might push a few over the edge to say something. If anyone needs a complete working headlight setup with trim and motors just let me know. I plan on listing them this week.

Hope you enjoy the update.
ri914
getting ready to test "fit" the engine . very exciting.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Wow, how did I not notice this build? Great progress and some interesting ideas. From the looks of it, you go this. Welcome to the World. Keep the progress pictures coming please. beerchug.gif
Matty900
welcome.png
Nice build thread. You are making some pretty quick progress beerchug.gif

I just picked up a Boxter S transmission with the LS adapter and I was considering an LS 3. It's all new to me so I am curious why you chose an LS6?
Matt
ri914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 2 2020, 08:00 PM) *

welcome.png

I just picked up a Boxter S transmission with the LS adapter and I was considering an LS 3. It's all new to me so I am curious why you chose an LS6?
Matt

Hello Matt,

The LS3 is a great motor. I chose the LS6 for a few reasons. I had access to a nice ls6 engine with low miles and it was cheap. I have had 3 Z06 C5's back in the early 2000's and the reliability was great. I was also worried about the transmission being able to handle the power long term. If the car needs more power and the drivetrain is happy, it will be easy to sell the LS6 as a complete turn key motor for a swap or add a turbo or blower to it (yes lots of cutting) . Honestly the easiest part of this conversion for me has been the engine, if you have a LS3 I am sure you will be happy.

I have a lot of go fast cars, hellcat redeye, 911 turbo, lambos (2), viper. I am excited for the handling and weight of this car, the connection to the road. I feel that really turning the car up might take away some of those properties but it is a good start. I have watched a lot of stock 914 - 6 racing videos and the car is very well balanced and impressive.

The car was fun to drive with the 80hp 4cyl it had 60 days ago! having it turn into a lsx should be very cool. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I am not an expert but I can tell you what I know and did.

Matty900
QUOTE(ri914 @ Sep 2 2020, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 2 2020, 08:00 PM) *

welcome.png

Matt

Hello Matt,

The LS3 is a great motor. I chose the LS6 for a few reasons. I had access to a nice ls6 engine with low miles and it was cheap. I have had 3 Z06 C5's back in the early 2000's and the reliability was great. I was also worried about the transmission being able to handle the power long term. If the car needs more power and the drivetrain is happy, it will be easy to sell the LS6 as a complete turn key motor for a swap or add a turbo or blower to it (yes lots of cutting) . Honestly the easiest part of this conversion for me has been the engine, if you have a LS3 I am sure you will be happy.

I have a lot of go fast cars, hellcat redeye, 911 turbo, lambos (2), viper. I am excited for the handling and weight of this car, the connection to the road. I feel that really turning the car up might take away some of those properties but it is a good start. I have watched a lot of stock 914 - 6 racing videos and the car is very well balanced and impressive.

The car was fun to drive with the 80hp 4cyl it had 60 days ago! having it turn into a lsx should be very cool. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I am not an expert but I can tell you what I know and did.

Thanks brother I appreciate that. I am no stranger to 914's but this is my 1st V8 swapped car. This is the story
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2749185
ri914
Big Update...

Well I had some time over the weekend to finish up the brakes. 914rubber sent me out a new upgraded 911 master cylinder and the team at Renegade got a bunch of final build parts delivered before the weekend.

The Renegade G86.20 clutch kit is almost as sweet as the transmission mount they fabricate.

I also got a bunch of help from James on the Koni shocks and springs that will work on the setup.

Chris at Tangerine made up some fuel lines for me and Chuck at Elephant racing helped source some final bumpstop components around the turbo tierods.

I also am going to weld in Brads, Chassis repair panels which arrived before I even thought I purchased them. 914limited really makes a substantial product. I cant wait to get these fitted properly.

For you LS guys that like the stock headers I met the owner Dan at vetteworks in oregon. Awesome guy and so many 1 of a kind parts for these swaps.

I mounted up the fenders and like everyone suggested I really needed to expand the stock GT flares. About 4"s more to achieve room for growth and full wheel travel. I wanted to be wide but also 98% steel. The rear of the car is currently 74" fender to fender.

I definitely made some extra work for myself here but the metal fab is really fun and I am going to see how much of this I can do on my own. Lots of paper, tracing and cutting, bending, welding and grinding, but I am giving myself 30 days till I fire this thing up for its first test drive.

The front headlight is starting to take shape. I have the drivers where I want it. Now to build the harness and connect the fender.

The doors are working very nice and I cant wait to start skinning them.

Here are some pictures.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
Andyrew
I love it so far!!!
ValcoOscar
Exciting build!!!!!

Can't wait to see this monster done. Love the vision. biggrin.gif

Congrats....

Oscar

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
sb914
@ri914 you’re a sick individual! And I like it ..... evilgrin.gif
Mueller
Wild build, I dig it.

The 911 headlights don't look that bad...the front bumper on the other hand smash.gif

smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 16 2020, 01:59 PM) *

Wild build, I dig it.

The 911 headlights don't look that bad...the front bumper on the other hand smash.gif

smile.gif

agree.gif

As a 916 front bumper owner myself, I hate them... The ONLY reason my bumpers are still flat black is the 916 bumper is uuuugly..

The rear on the other hand is very nice and fits a 914's lines very well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 17 2020, 09:14 AM) *
As a 916 front bumper owner myself, I hate them...

I agree, with one small correction:
All *aftermarket* 916 bumpers look like stromberg.gif

The original 916 bumpers look great on a 916!

However, there is not a single aftermarket 916 bumper that gets the lines correct.
I don't know who made those molds, but they were clearly not taken from a real bumper.

That center "dimple" is so god damn awful, it makes me want to puke every time i look at my car.
barf.gif

ri914
Ok, another update. Been building steel parts and welding, as I take breaks from the smoke and fire I am slowly trying to get the mechanical bits of this car ready for its first road test.

Currently finishing up some wiring but I have made progress with the drivetrain install, shifter, clutch and brake assembly.

Here is a short video of the engine starting up. I must say i was surprised it went as well as it did. No mufflers yet, exhaust to follow soon.

914 LS6 startup Click to view attachment

Mueller
Congrats, sounds good.
ri914
Got the seats and the exhaust ready for testing. Now I just need to get some help on the wiring for the headlights smile.gif

Click to view attachment
planning the attack

Click to view attachment
Testing some bends

Click to view attachment
Plenty of clearance

Click to view attachment
Looking good for a 30min test exhaust...

Parts were acquired via amazon for under 200.... Enough material left over to still build about 4 more exhausts.
ri914
I have been spending most of my free time building more steel transition panels to connect the fenders to the lines of the car. Fabricating metal is an art, and while I am not an artist I have learned a lot and it is really fun.

This 914 is incredibly fast. I am not sure how else to describe it. My Viper GTS would lose in just about every race. I added the wing for downforce help as the car can lose traction in 3rd even with the 315 rubber. Not sure how well it helps with traction or if I will keep it but it does help push the car down.

Up next I am looking into troubleshooting my speedbox which converts gps data to a mechanical output so i can keep my stock MPH gauge. I had a lot of electrical gremlins and so many people on the forum helped me track down a missing ground and turn signal power feed. It feels good to have all systems working.

Here are some updated pics from today. Going to try and work on making the interior a bit more finished this weekend.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
Thats WILD....
sixnotfour
beer.gif
trojanhorsepower
Looks amazing!
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif
mbseto
That's just the right kind of over-the-top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.