Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump, fuel hose ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi guys,

Took my 74 2.0 original FI out for a spin this weekend. On my way back I stopped for groceries and when I wanted to drive home the car wouldn't start. After several attempts the car finally started but did not keep idle... I limped home (only 1 km) and immediately smelled fuel. When I got home I checked under the car and saw fuel gushing out at the front (my pump is relocated to the front near the steering rack). After turning off the engine the leak immediately stopped....
Due to the fact that fuel starts gushing out when I turn on the key I am sure that the pump still pumps fuel biggrin.gif

I still have to investigate further to see if the fuel leak is coming from the pump or from a hose but ofcourse I immediately started looking on the internet/platform.

My questions :

* if the fuel pump is the culprit, which fuel pump do I need ? I know there are early and late pumps and as what I can see I have a late 2 port pump. Can I replace with the same type ? I see Bosch, Pierburg, Vemo etc.
Bosch has different type nrs 043 906091 , 0580 463016 and 0580 464085. Which one ?

* if the o-rings are the issue. Shall I try to source and replace them or is it best to install a brand new pump ?

Herebelow a pic off the current set-up (pic taken when I took out the pedal cluster for rebuild). note : I will install a different type of filter

Click to view attachment

thks yr info

krgds
Dax
malcolm2
That looks like the pump I used for my L-jet. You said you had a 2.0, so I assume D-jet fuel injection. That pump looks alot different. Look into buying you one for your type of injection system.

With the relocation, I am betting a hose has rubbed.
Mark Henry
Tthe style/make of the pump doesn't really matter as long as it's 12V, FI and pushes at least 30psi.
I'd get a 2nd person to quickly flick the switch to see where the leak is. Replace with hose that is SAE 30R9 or higher for the FI and use correct FI hose clamps.

Teenhulk is replacing all the fuel hoses on a real nice '73 914 right now.
dax1969
Thks yr replies.

Dug a little deeper and I think the leak is situated higher. Think the line to the pump has been rubbing.

With winter setting in I think it's time to start from scratch and install ss lines an all new hoses. The hoses in the enginebay have already been replaced with new SAE30R9 hoses but from there to the front I still have the plastic ones.

hope I can tackle this job biggrin.gif

bye
Dax
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.