Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Epoxy Resin cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Me and the kids decided to start playing with Epoxy Resin. Avi made little tea cups, I made Porsches!
Mikey914
Silicone works much better. It's how we started making parts. Very time consuming but fun.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 14 2021, 06:06 PM) *

Silicone works much better. It's how we started making parts. Very time consuming but fun.

I made the mold with silicone, man was it stinky!
73-914
Dow RTV gr8 stuff
Tdskip
Very cool
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 14 2021, 06:05 PM) *

Me and the kids decided to start playing with Epoxy Resin. Avi made little tea cups, I made Porsches!

What no 914??
Mikey914
Undercut on the windshield with top off was to much beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Jan 15 2021, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 14 2021, 06:05 PM) *

What no 914??

Next round, it's so easy I'll be doing a bunch.
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, so after polishing and clear coating, this is where we are. I'm trying some more refinements, but overall it's fun!
VaccaRabite
You need to rig up a vacuum chamber or a pressure pot to out gas all those bubbles.

Zach
Unobtanium-inc
Tried to do black resin, worked out ok, but I kind of like the clear better. Might experiment with lite tinting, rather than solid colors.
Also, ran out of resin, so ordered 2 gallons, it's gonna be a long winter.
Spoke
Looks good. I like both the clear and the black. I'll take a 930 in clear if you're selling any... beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, made a new mold tonight and yes there is a 914 in there!

Hoping to do all these this weekend, check back for updates.
infraredcalvin
Can you make some ice cube trays out of those? That would be slick!
flat4guy
Looks like fun - how heavy are they? I wish we had winter in Calif - I was doing yard work in a T shirt today.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Jan 20 2021, 07:33 PM) *

Looks like fun - how heavy are they? I wish we had winter in Calif - I was doing yard work in a T shirt today.

They are lighter then they look.

And mold making is harder then I thought, I must have gotten lucky with my first one because I've failed on the last two. Shooting for number 3 this weekend.
Unobtanium-inc
So after three tries to make a larger mold for more cars, and three failures I went back to the drawing board. More research showed me an alternative method to making the mold that looked very promising, and a lot less work and mess. It involved DAWN soap and water, pretty simple, right? I tried and it was much easier. I poured resin in the new molds so tomorrow we shall see if the finished result is better. But I now have 11 car molds, so everything from a 917, to a Speedster, to a RSR. One drawback, the new method take all the paint off the little cars in the mold making process. Strange byproduct.
Stay tuned.
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, so lots of trial and error later, more error actually. I've upgraded the mold making twice and am much happier with the latest results, shiny and crisp, without any buffing or sanding. I'll keep working but the process is improving, and I'm still having fun!
burton73
If your mold and material is very cold and the pouring area is cold you can have problems. Pre-warm up the molds and material to a nice 80 or 90 degrees or more and it will help. Also, if you have a vacuum chamber for some reason, mix, and then deair the mix for a couple of minutes and pour slowly in the mold. The very small bubbles will come out in the chamber Part of that combo is used for A/C system but the pot can be a modified 3 paint pot.

You can also use a paint pot and set it up for 30lb PSI. The bubbles will get so small that you will not see them but you have to leave the pressure on for a long time to make sure the plastic is hard. If not hard the bubbles will show.

I just put my pressure on the compressor line and leave it overnight and open it up in the AM

Been casting this way for 46 years.

Bob B

3 Gallon Vacuum Chamber and 3 CFM 1 Stage Pump to Degassing Stainless Steel

Set up is like $100.

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 3 2021, 09:17 PM) *

If your mold and material is very cold and the pouring area is cold you can have problems. Pre-warm up the molds and material to a nice 80 or 90 degrees or more and it will help. Also, if you have a vacuum chamber for some reason, mix, and then deair the mix for a couple of minutes and pour slowly in the mold. The very small bubbles will come out in the chamber Part of that combo is used for A/C system but the pot can be a modified 3 paint pot.

You can also use a paint pot and set it up for 30lb PSI. The bubbles will get so small that you will not see them but you have to leave the pressure on for a long time to make sure the plastic is hard. If not hard the bubbles will show.

I just put my pressure on the compressor line and leave it overnight and open it up in the AM

Been casting this way for 46 years.

Bob B

3 Gallon Vacuum Chamber and 3 CFM 1 Stage Pump to Degassing Stainless Steel

Set up is like $100.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the tip!
burton73
This is a mixing paint pot I use for pressure casting. I think I got it on Amazon

Most I deair but sometimes I just go with the pressure casting

Bob BClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
burton73
Sorry for my mess
Unobtanium-inc
Latest batch, new mold, some came out better then others. I'm redoing the mold on 2 of them. Still having fun.

Oh, and a one off batch, my niece Lark wanted blue with purple glitter, I couldn't refuse!
Unobtanium-inc
I've started experimenting with color, I got a tip that lite color will help to cover imperfections. This was a little too much color, the batch currently cooking has a lighter coloring. Fun!
Unobtanium-inc
So after the mint green batch I had an idea. What would happen if I added one drop of black to the whole batch? Would it be just enough to mask any imperfections. I like the result. And I ordered better resin now that I'm getting my technique down. I've been using industrial grade marine resin, it's cheap! But I ordered some diamond sparkling clear artists resin, so it should only get better from here!
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, so it's not clear yet, since the mold is curing, but eagle eyed folks will see a green 914 in the mold. These will be free, so the line forms now.
dakotaewing
Would love to have one! Please put me on the list -
BananaTroll
Count me down for one please!
poorsche914
Joined the line smile.gif

driving.gif
Mikey914
Looking good so far.
Betty
Consider me standing in line too! cheer.gif

We can all chat about 914's together while waiting in queue. biggrin.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Not very happy with how the 914 came out, I think the paint is messed up from earlier tries, I think I'm going to try with another car and a new mold.
Unobtanium-inc
I cleaned up the mold a little bit but can't decide if I'm going to redo it, they are coming out ok, not perfect. What do you guys think?
Unobtanium-inc
After much trial and error I think these are ready to be freebies at the next swap meet!
Mark Henry
They would make a cool night light. thumb3d.gif
Mikey914
They look like candy
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 22 2021, 04:32 PM) *

They would make a cool night light. thumb3d.gif

Yup!
Tbrown4x4
Now melt some Jolly Ranchers!
Unobtanium-inc
The latest, the 904, and this one hurt. Try buying a 904 miniature, people are very serious about them!
Unobtanium-inc
My wife says I'm getting a little obsessed. But with all the swap meets opening back up, I've got work to do!
Unobtanium-inc
The Unobtanium cars, they will make their debut at the Hershey swap meet in May, FREE, first come, first served. Collect them all!
bretth
Nice. They look like Jolly Ranchers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.