Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I guess Iam cutting it...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I cant find a smaller Air intake,So I cant install my EG33 without cutting the Bulkhead,.I need about a 1.5" inboard and I then intend to use the Maddog -6 mount and bolt to the bulkhead,.Is this a reasonable path to take I've tried pounding in the bulkhead...its just not deep enoungh.Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I would try to move it back first. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif more photos would help.

If you have to move it forward here is what I did. I went back 2" first by relocating the transaxle mounts then rebuilt the forward bulkhead/firewall.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=7725&hl=
Superhawk996
I think I see the problem. . . . wrong engine in the car. happy11.gif
tygaboy
Couldn't you slice the snorkel off the side of that air box and modify it (or make something else) so it comes out the top then heads rearwards and lives under the engine lid grill? It'd put your intake in a better place to pick up cold air.

Just my $.02,but if you can cut up your bulkhead, I'm betting you'd be able to fab up something that solves this issue.

There are also these cobra head elbows that could maybe help?

https://www.intakehoses.com/cobra-head-elbows.html
76-914
Frank, I sent you a PM. Kent
mgp4591
QUOTE(flmont @ Feb 20 2021, 09:43 PM) *

I cant find a smaller Air intake,So I cant install my EG33 without cutting the Bulkhead,.I need about a 1.5" inboard and I then intend to use the Maddog -6 mount and bolt to the bulkhead,.Is this a reasonable path to take I've tried pounding in the bulkhead...its just not deep enoungh.

How far back does Chris H have his engine? I know he's using a cradle but there's gotta be a way that you can move things around. How are your axles lining up?
Chris914n6
2 180* mandrel bends or silicone hoses and relocate the box over the engine.

I'd move the engine back an inch or two before I'd cut firewall. The axles don't need to line up vertically. The CV angles just need to stay in spec during full susp travel.

V8 swaps move the trans back 1.5". My Nissan swap moved the trans forward 1.5". Not a problem.
Literati914
popcorn[1].gif
I have the same engine (though it needs some essential pieces to make complete/considering parting it).

The intake can be turned around, to put the snorkel on the other end, have you considered that?

mgp4591
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 21 2021, 01:58 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
I have the same engine (though it needs some essential pieces to make complete/considering parting it).

The intake can be turned around, to put the snorkel on the other end, have you considered that?

Then you end up cutting the rear bulkhead going into the trunk. That's why Frank turned around the upper manifold to begin with so there's no cutting involved.
914forme
If you have to cut it to make it work, flip it to the passenger side, cut it there, and put the filter over there where the battery traditionally goes.

Then if you need to add a bit of sheet metal to the area, you can, and it only gets into your passengers seating area. I need my seat all the way back in my 914s. My passengers are normally compact than I.

You could also cut the tube and use a silicone tube to fit and then make your transition to the Air tube.

Or fabricate an new TB opening duct, and make it fit a bit better.

Another option is cut a notch in the duct and plastic weld a notch in it. Or find a section of plastic tube from another intake that goes oolong to allow the same area of airflow to pass thru, and plastic weld it up and in.

This is after the MAF so it will need to be sealed.

For east=y no car cutting method you can do at home.

I thought about making one out of carbon or fiberglass fiber prepreg tape. make the piece out of foam, wrap it in plastic tape, wrap the prepreg around my now buck, and you can clean it up if you want or leave it. Pretty easy and comes in all sorts of neon colors or white if you want. Example skip past the intro but you get an idea of how you can use this to your advantage.

Use foam as it is easier than doing this in metal tubing and then doing like they did in the video. Foam you can jut bust it out in pieces to get it out of the tube.
ClayPerrine
You could always take the manifold off and machine off a little bit of the throttle body mounting flange. From the looks of it in that picture, that would give you the clearance you need.

Clay
flmont
Tygaboy..Iam trying to post a Pic of my inlet tube..for some reason It wont post,..Yet,.BUt I have about 4 hoses Iam susppose to connect to it and Iam not sure which ones I need or dont need ..Thats why I want to use stock parts for now if I can,.

MGP4591 ChrisH,..used a subaru transmisson Iam using the 901,.From Kent (Still thanking Kent for that generous sale).

Chris914N6,..I have heard that is ok to do and I may very well end up doung that,.Iam just very stubboran about that,.simply because I dont really know how to set that up,.I do have the Hyb.Renegades tranny blocks but seem's a little wonkie to install a tranny that way ( iam sure Iam wrong ) I may very well mis understand how Iam suppose to do it !

As soon as I figure out why I cant post pics..I will add them ASAP

Thanks Guy's really Appreciate the advise ! Frank
Chris H.
I'm running mine flipped the other way. It's a tight fit but works better on that side. You do have to move the battery somewhere else.

This guy made some pretty major mods to his intake:

SVX Samba 1

This guy shaved his down a bit and shortened the rubber tubes that connect to the throttle body (see page 2). I did this as well but not as much. Just remember you only have ONE shot if you do this so be conservative.

Shaved EG33 throttle body

BTW you do need to use all 4 hoses connected to the intake. 2 are connected to the heads for pressure balancing, the other two are for the IAC valve/warmup circuit.

Here's a pic of a really cool custom intake...if only I had the welding skills.

Click to view attachment
flmont
Thanks Chris H....I thought about doing that then fiber glassing the back, But, I always thought that the intake was built that way for the max air volume So I was afraid to cut into it incase the engine would not run correctly be cause it wasn't getting the correct amount of air flow at WOT,..if you guys think there's no problem with that then,.I'll wack the back off that intake..LOL
flmont
and yes Clay maybe I could get a little bit more if I get it machined..
flmont
Literati914...what parts are you missing ?
Chris H.
QUOTE(flmont @ Feb 22 2021, 05:05 PM) *

Thanks Chris H....I thought about doing that then fiber glassing the back, But, I always thought that the intake was built that way for the max air volume So I was afraid to cut into it incase the engine would not run correctly be cause it wasn't getting the correct amount of air flow at WOT,..if you guys think there's no problem with that then,.I'll wack the back off that intake..LOL

Either whack the back off or look at the second link in my post for the other method. Basically what Clay was saying, you trim the throttle body and the snorkel tubes rather than the back. Wouldn't worry about max air flow too much, the Vanagon guys alter their intakes or use smaller ones pretty regularly.
914forme
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 22 2021, 04:43 PM) *

Here's a pic of a really cool custom intake...if only I had the welding skills.

Click to view attachment

Turbo setup, flow will be a bit whack.

Get yourself a plastic welder and be done.

Easier to fix plastic than it is to machine an intake or throttle bodies for you at home.

But I guess you can do your first year of apprenticeship like my Father in-law did in Germany to become a machinist. Year One you did everything with a hand file, and learned how each metal reacted.
Chris H.
Yeah the main pipe would need to be fatter but the design is cool. Rocky Mountain Westy made a nice intake but it was $350. I don’t think they are making it any more.

RMW intake

Literati914
QUOTE(flmont @ Feb 22 2021, 05:48 PM) *

Literati914...what parts are you missing ?

Well, to start.. I need the Cam Sprocket for the RH side (passengers) and a Crank Pulley.

next, would be - most of the timing belt housings.

Anyone got this stuff?

Chris914n6
Happened to have the wheel off and thought of you....

It's double stacked for the intake manifold to clear the trunk wall.

IPB Image
flmont
Well,Thank You,!! How long has that been installed that way and what kind of axles are you using,.?
Chris914n6
^^ 20 years and stock axles. And 200hp smile.gif

If you think of the axles in 360* of motion they are always at an angle, that susp movement thing... which is good cause it keeps the grease working.
flmont
WOW..and never a issue with them .Thats Great to know ,..Thanks !!
flmont
Iam trying to load a pic of my new intake that I hope will work, is a 4.922 KB size file pic to big, the error message said its to large,.I tried to crop it but still to big..?? Thanks Frank
SirAndy
QUOTE(flmont @ Oct 9 2021, 10:30 AM) *

Iam trying to load a pic of my new intake that I hope will work, is a 4.922 KB size file pic to big, the error message said its to large,.I tried to crop it but still to big..?? Thanks Frank

The size limit is 4MB. Also, if you are using a newer iphone, make sure you set the image format to JPEG.

We can't handle the new proprietary apple image format.
dry.gif
flmont
ok.Thank You,.! Frank
flmont

Yeah the main pipe would need to be fatter but the design is cool. Rocky Mountain Westy made a nice intake but it was $350. I don’t think they are making it any more.

RMW intake

flmont
this is the new intake, smaller than stk but not by much,..will it perform the same ?? Thanks Click to view attachment
flmont
Click to view attachment

This solves a lot of issues if it works as intended
Chris H.
That’ll work great Frank. Is that from Rocky Mountain Westy or did you make that?
flmont
Yes,.. it is from Rocky Mtn westy,.I check that site every so often and even when I spoke with them a year back they said they were NOT making anymore,I for some reason went back to that site and they had it listed and I was very surprised,so I bought it to make sure I covered all my options,they have 3 left as of last Tuesday !!

Thanks,I'am very glad to hear you say it will work..! I was a bit nervous on buying it because I have to cut off a tab on one end and I didnt want to cut anything until I Hopefully heard from you..Thanks so much for checking in !! ..Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.