Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 944 tire explosion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey guys,

Thought I would share this "fun" moment.

Old lady and I were heading up to Summit Point, WV last Saturday to spectate the PCA track day. I enjoy watching if I have a free day. Always cool cars/people.
We decided to take our 944, just did fresh calipers, and was a beautiful day for a cruise.

(the car:)

IPB Image

Stopped for coffee, and got on 695. Once I get up to speed (65-70mph) (one exit down the road) I feel a rear end shimmy, and a loud pop.
Front end immediately swings out behind, we spin 540* across 3 lanes, and end up nose out in the slow lane, at a dead stop.

Luckily/miraculously we did not hit anyone or anything. One guy just slowed down and layed on the horn. rolleyes.gif

I backed it up on an exit, we used the inflatable spare (to my surprise, it actually worked) and got the car home. My girlfriend insisted she changed the wheel out. Maybe it was the adrenaline smile.gif

Neither of us spilled a drop of coffee, haha! first.gif

Pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Moral of the story? I'm not sure, I would say, check your tires, but I did when I replaced the calipers the day before.... not sure what caused this.

Be safe!

Side note:

We still wanted to go to WV, so we took the TDI. Here are some pics, from the track, for those interested (so it's somewhat 914 related):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

mepstein
Glad you are ok. I have some new but a couple year old 16” tires you should take back with you next time you come up.
Steve
Glad your ok!! How old were those tires?
bretth
Yikes glad you are OK. Nice looking 944.
Root_Werks
Yikes and yes, glad you two are okay. Spinning out on a freeway usually ends in disaster.
Mueller
Scary, glad no injuries.

We had the a blow out on our old '91 964, we hit a big rig trailer on the freeway during the spin. Luckily we too walked away from it.
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2021, 12:37 PM) *

I have some new but a couple year old 16” tires you should take back with you next time you come up.

Thank you, these are 17". We replaced the rear tires on Monday. This is a good excuse to get a more period set of wheels. sunglasses.gif

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 6 2021, 01:45 PM) *

Glad your ok!! How old were those tires?

Thank you! The P.O put these tires on the wheels 3.5 years ago. Not old enough to think a blow out would occur.

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 6 2021, 02:12 PM) *

Scary, glad no injuries.

We had the a blow out on our old '91 964, we hit a big rig trailer on the freeway during the spin. Luckily we too walked away from it.

Wow, that is very frightening. Moments like that stick with you.
Andyrew
Curious the date code and model of that tire.. It doesnt look old enough for a blowout like that...

Glad to hear everything is OK!
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 6 2021, 01:47 PM) *

Yikes glad you are OK. Nice looking 944.

Thank you, it's an '88 Celebration Edition, grey plaid. We practically stole it. It's been good to us, but every once in a while they bite back.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 6 2021, 02:20 PM) *

Curious the date code and model of that tire..

If I recall the model was RIKEN 215/40 Date was 2/4/17

We replaced and upsized to 225/45/17.
BillC
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Apr 6 2021, 11:32 AM) *

IPB Image

That kind of damage is typical of a tire that was run partially-deflated for a long time. The extra sidewall flexing from the low pressure ends up breaking the cords in the sidewall, causing it to eventually blow out. The damage was probably caused long before you got the car, and can't be seen from the outside of the tire -- you have to pop the bead and look inside the tire to see if the sidewalls are okay.

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Apr 6 2021, 11:32 AM) *

IPB Image

She's a keeper!
targa72e
What BillC said.
more common on rear. Run over something in road and front tire lifts it up to get stuck in the rear. Slow leak not noticed immediately, worse with short sidewalls. Side wall heats up until in blows. Worked in tire industry many years ago and saw it daily. Once had a tire that was damaged but did not blow but sidewall was shot. When tire was removed there was a 2' piece of metal rod inside. It was wrapped around the wheel and only a small slit in tread of tire were it entered

john.
wonkipop
blink.gif

i'd need replacement underpants if that happened to me.
well done staying in one piece.

interesting about under-inflation/flick up scenario.

never driven a 944, but have driven a 924 many moons ago.
it was so balanced. maligned like 914s.
nothing wrong with them in the chassis department.

i've got a secret soft spot for them.
its that big back glass hatch. smilie_pokal.gif
if you close your eyes and squint, you can see the 914 targa bar in the window section behind the drivers door. then imagine the 914 boot with a bubble of glass on it.
there is continuity. at least i think so.
bkrantz
I really enjoyed and admired my 944. Not much power in the base model, but incredible chassis dynamics, especially on the open road. And the most practical Porsche I have ever owned. I sometimes had 2 small kids in the back seats (including one in a car seat) and tons of luggage or other stuff under the back hatch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.