Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with a body number (please)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
This is for a 1974 car missing it’s door sticker. the body number on the plate and rear trunk is 0439512. I believe that translates to;

4th week of the Year, so January
3 day of the week, so Wednesday?
9 is factory
512 car build that year?

Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks!
infraredcalvin
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=261779
infraredcalvin
If I’m reading correctly it would be the 512th car built on that day….
Tdskip
Hey! Good morning.

Thanks for the link, I saw that as well but 500 cars in a day seems like a ton of production, doesn’t it?
Montreal914
I have a similar situation and have been wondering the same thing. ~500 cars/day at 5 days a week (?) confused24.gif that's well over 100k cars per year. blink.gif

But on the other hand ~500th car in that year at the late January point seems low knowing the MY cars production starts a lot earlier than January.

Looking forward to the expert's input on this topic. popcorn[1].gif
Superhawk996
Batch builds?
JeffBowlsby
12th car built that day.
Tdskip
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

So what does the 5 denote then?

Do I have this bit right?

Thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 19 2021, 10:09 AM) *

12th car that day.

See my reply in the other thread you started ...
rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=355771
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 19 2021, 08:43 AM) *

Hey! Good morning.

Thanks for the link, I saw that as well but 500 cars in a day seems like a ton of production, doesn’t it?

I was thinking that too confused24.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 19 2021, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 19 2021, 10:09 AM) *

12th car that day.

See my reply in the other thread you started ...
rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=355771

Sorry Jeff and Andy, didn't see much traffic on the other forum but should have just been more patient.

Tdskip
Based on this;

QUOTE(buz914 @ Feb 19 2018, 08:08 PM) *

I spoke to George H at AA and he said he had a source that confirmed 100% that week 1 starts with the week that contains Jan 1st.

it appears that;

3 day of the week, so Wednesday

is correct.
davep
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 19 2021, 11:18 AM) *

wow, hard to believe it was 45 years ago that I figured that out. It can be refined a little from that statement.
But do not take the idea that the body date can be translated into a completion date for the decal.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 19 2021, 09:34 PM) *

wow, hard to believe it was 45 years ago that I figured that out. It can be refined a little from that statement.
But do not take the idea that the body date can be translated into a completion date for the decal.

I removed my door jamb sticker when I had my car painted and neglected to record the information that was on it. I search for pictures of stickers that were close to my vin (before and after) and was able to determine the completion date before having a new sticker punched. Is my logic sound?
Tdskip
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 19 2021, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Sep 19 2021, 09:34 PM) *

I removed my door jamb sticker when I had my car painted and neglected to record the information that was on it. I search for pictures of stickers that were close to my vin (before and after) and was able to determine the completion date before having a new sticker punched. Is my logic sound?

I would think that would get you pretty close, of course the less distance between the Vin numbers the better but you could probably get it down to the build month.
davep
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 19 2021, 09:52 PM) *

I search for pictures of stickers that were close to my vin (before and after) and was able to determine the completion date before having a new sticker punched. Is my logic sound?

Ben, that is the best way. I have collected a lot of data, so people can ask for my experienced advice.
rick 918-S
Speaking of stickers who is the source these days. I tried Andy but never got a sound response. I would like to get one for Juergen's car.
MCShack
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 19 2021, 09:15 AM) *

This is for a 1974 car missing it’s door sticker. the body number on the plate and rear trunk is 0439512. I believe that translates to;

9 is factory
512 car build that year?

Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks!

Chassis Number 0439512 translates to the 12th car made on Wednesday, January 23, 1974 at the Karmann Plant in Osnabrück, Germany.

If over 100 cars were made in the same day the '95' in the Chassis No. changes to '96' to indicate such. For example on this day if over 100 cars were made, the Karmann Chassis numbers would go up to 0439599 then switch to 0439601 and so on until the last car was made that day. I think it is rare but I have seen a couple of 914s with a 96 rather than a 95.
Tdskip
Thanks for the follow up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.