Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making STAINLESS exhaust- now in stock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Since Ben is no longer making stainless exhaust, we decided to step in and make some of our own.

Now working on stock 2.0, 1.7/1.8 units.
Should have the 1st batch ready in about 10 days.

Also working on a "quiet" version and a sport as well.

Should have pricing worked out in a few days, Should be close to what they had been selling for.

More soon!
NARP74
Wow, what a company. The hits just keep on coming!
mb911
Don't count me out just yet.. anyhow carry on.
Cairo94507
I love 914 Rubber . . . but for me, if Ben makes an exhaust, that's my full stop. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
Wow ! This is great news….I’m getting to a point I’m gonna need to replace. Been running Bursch extractors for a long time. I’d rather have a simpler set up.
914werke
Vintage Speed?
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ May 20 2022, 03:12 PM) *

Vintage Speed?

I think they’re being made by the guy who stole all of Ben’s designs and went off on his own. I’m just guessing but having sold a couple dozen of them, they do look familiar…
Mikey914
Actually not too hard to make. Simple design to emulate. Your options are stamped or rolled. For the money rolled offers the best value.

Nothing really new here but planning to add some bells and whistles as we progress.

I just want to use our purchase power to do these in large enough quantities to keep costs reasonable.

It’s a significant investment in materials and effort.
pbanders
Very nice. I have a Dansk, it's in good shape, but this would make a super replacement.
Shackleford
I'll take one since I missed out on one from Ben by like 1 muffler!

Put me on the list!
Shackleford
delete
bkrantz
Mark, one suggestion: offer an optional O2 sensor port in a workable location.
Mikey914
I'm sure we could do something.
Mikey914
OCD got the best of me..... had some time this afternoon and the wife was out of town. So I went into the shop, and fired up the polishing lathe.
913B
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 21 2022, 06:56 PM) *

Yes please that would be great!
VaccaRabite
What are you going to do for exhaust hangers?

Zach
rjames
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 21 2022, 07:56 PM) *

agree.gif
Van B
Passivation aka pickling is huge for corrosion resistance on stainless, especially around the welds.

I use a home made method of a lawn mover battery for current, a phosphoric acid based rust converter, and a polyester pad slipped over a strip of stainless.

This method quickly removes discoloration and oxidation from the weld area.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Why is Ben no longer making them? He does absolutely beautiful work. Before we had our 75 76 Stainless muffler assembly made, we asked Ben if he could make it, but gave us the go ahead, having too much to do already. Ben maybe you could tell us why you discontinued the mufflers?
Mikey914
Yes, we have done passivation on many stainless railings in Hawaii, so no big deal.
For those that don't know, when you heat stainless by welding you release free iron. It's simply removing it using acid.
Van B
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 31 2022, 01:26 PM) *

Why is Ben no longer making them? He does absolutely beautiful work. Before we had our 75 76 Stainless muffler assembly made, we asked Ben if he could make it, but gave us the go ahead, having too much to do already. Ben maybe you could tell us why you discontinued the mufflers?

Price of stainless became too much for the quantity he was moving.
Mikey914
We have some sound (video) for you to enjoy. I've already sold 4 of these and haven't even got them listed yet. I do like the sound. I did notice that until the back pressure is built up (and the car was cold) that it sounds like a race cam.

You can get a better idea of the idle 6.00-6.05 mark, sorry it's not longer, but is smoother as the car is warm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ku4erdh03shaaeh/1.7%20exh.mp4?dl=0
Shackleford
Is the exhaust bracket missing or just the angle means we can't see it?

Its sounds fine. My old, kinda krusty, Bursch sounds a little deeper but i bet it weighs allot more. Will this muffler cause any noticeable gain or loss of power?

Looks cool!
jim_hoyland
Are we able to use the original muffler hangers ? I’m interested……
rhodyguy
For Jim, 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers fitment. Are you making a version for both earlier style HEs?
Mikey914
QUOTE(Shackleford @ Jul 7 2022, 02:07 PM) *

Is the exhaust bracket missing or just the angle means we can't see it?

Its sounds fine. My old, kinda krusty, Bursch sounds a little deeper but i bet it weighs allot more. Will this muffler cause any noticeable gain or loss of power?

Looks cool!

Yes I didn’t install the bracket, it will fit just fine with a bracket.it has less back pressure so technically it could give a few extra hp, but we haven’t done an after dyno. I started with 67 at the wheels, so anything helps. biggrin.gif

Shackleford

[/quote]
Yes I didn’t install the bracket, it will fit just fine with a bracket.it has less back pressure so technically it could give a few extra hp, but we haven’t done an after dyno. I started with 67 at the wheels, so anything helps. biggrin.gif
[/quote]

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.