Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dynamat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
Dynamat: What thickness should you use? should you put over the tar on the floor should you throw away the rubber pad behind the backpad on the firewall?

I need some adivce: I want to add sound barrier under my backpad and possibly floor. I currently have the black tar floor, nothing in doors and rubber pad behind backpad which honestly has seen better days and looks pretty nasty.

Should I add any sound proofing to the floor before I carpet? If so, what thickness?

Also, should I throw out the old cracked and dirty rubber pad and put sound proofing on top of the firewall behind the backpad or leave it as is?

Thanks in advance for advice
914sgofast2
I used a bunch of Noico brand sound deadening pads. They worked well. However, I would not buy them again since they are mad in the Russia war criminal nation.
914sgofast2
sad.gif
r_towle
Sound is both vibration and sound waves.
It’s best to use two types of material to stop most of the sound waves.

Lizard skin is a ceramic paint, good for step one.
Ice and water shield type self sticking rubber is the second layer.

We have real estate issues, so you really can’t use anything thick like wool padding still found on high end luxury cars, it’s too thick.

If you go google about this topic, google dynamat and lizard skin along with sound waves….some good learning out there
Mark Henry
Coco mats is the best sound deadening floor mat I've used. Seriously, after I installed them my interior noise level went way down. They're a thick mat with a rubber backing, perfect material for sound deadening and they look good too!
Tdskip
Selective application of sound deadening mat will help the doors sound more solid/less tinny.

I’m debating how much of the interior metal firewall to cover with sound mat, leaning towards all of it.

Trying typing “914world.com sound deadening” into good and look at the image results, lots of ideas there as noted above.
porschetub
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 23 2022, 12:21 AM) *

Selective application of sound deadening mat will help the doors sound more solid/less tinny.

I’m debating how much of the interior metal firewall to cover with sound mat, leaning towards all of it.

Trying typing “914world.com sound deadening” into good and look at the image results, lots of ideas there as noted above.

Biggest difference for me was adding several 75mm wide strips inside the doors,added thin material over the floors and that made little difference,I also put under hood sound deadener on to the rear of the backpad of which a small improvement was noticed.
Real hard to tame the noise from a "6" ,going back to stock air cleaner from K&N's made a huge difference however.
mb911
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ May 20 2022, 05:15 PM) *

I used a bunch of Noico brand sound deadening pads. They worked well. However, I would not buy them again since they are mad in the Russia war criminal nation.

Interesting to know. That is good to know.
Medtner3
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 22 2022, 03:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 23 2022, 12:21 AM) *

Biggest difference for me was adding several 75mm wide strips inside the doors,added thin material over the floors and that made little difference,I also put under hood sound deadener on to the rear of the backpad of which a small improvement was noticed.
Real hard to tame the noise from a "6" ,going back to stock air cleaner from K&N's made a huge difference however.

I will definitely put some oi the doors, but do you have any thoughts on my question about 1) thickness and 2) should I put over the tar matt and the existing rubber back pad on the firewall or not?

Any thoughts on this subject? I
Superhawk996
Dynamat must be applied to sheet metal.

Putting it over OEM tar on floor or the existing back pad will have no effect.

There are two thickness of Dynamat. If you look at the test specs on line - you’ll see that the effectiveness is proportional to the mass and thickness of the mat. I’d recommend the thicker Dynamat unless you’re really trying to save weight.
Olympic 914
I already had put X-Mat (same as Dynamat) on the interior rear firewall.

I am guessing not much further improvement would be made by also placing it on the engine side of the firewall.

I have considered an engine mat similar to the original thick mat in the engine compartment.

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Maybe something like this - cheaper and lighter than the original...
https://www.rix914parts.com/store/p29/914_F...uction_Mat.html

no affiliation.
bdstone914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 23 2022, 01:27 PM) *

Maybe something like this - cheaper and lighter than the original...
https://www.rix914parts.com/store/p29/914_F...uction_Mat.html

no affiliation.

I have one of those pads and it is made of a very pourous material like is used under modern hoods to reduce heat transfer. I doubt it will do little to reduce sound.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 914s are quite quiet when in stock dress so by restoring the original sound deadening to the floor, the back wall and the engine compartment and making sure that the rear window is well sealed you will be all set. Don't waste time on snake oil solutions like lizard what ever or what ever

QUOTE(Medtner3 @ May 20 2022, 05:30 PM) *

Dynamat: What thickness should you use? should you put over the tar on the floor should you throw away the rubber pad behind the backpad on the firewall?

I need some adivce: I want to add sound barrier under my backpad and possibly floor. I currently have the black tar floor, nothing in doors and rubber pad behind backpad which honestly has seen better days and looks pretty nasty.

Should I add any sound proofing to the floor before I carpet? If so, what thickness?

Also, should I throw out the old cracked and dirty rubber pad and put sound proofing on top of the firewall behind the backpad or leave it as is?

Thanks in advance for advice

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.