Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can you polish a windshield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
My windshield has some wear from the wipers. but no cracks

Can this be polished? or is there some coating that would be ruined (more) by trying.

When I did the car I left the windshield in, and really have no reason to change it out now. But I would like to eliminate some of the fine scratches from years of wear.

Sea Rooster
Following, not just for my 914 but my other toys.
914werke
Ive heard of a process to polish windshield glass but have never seen the result or tried it myself.
Quite honestly by the time this option is being considered you are probably better off replacing it.
Aside from the wiper wear, there is probably also a thousand micro chips that make visibility at night maddening!
StarBear
I’ve heard of it through Paterak in Chatham, NJ about 20 years ago. Very tedious, time consuming and prone to error but can be done I was told. Similar situation with my original windshield but I’m probably too impatient to do it myself successfully.
Dion
I’ve had good results with the Eastwood glass polish kit. Took out some wiper wear scratches. Wow the price went up!
I think I paid around $50 something about 4 years ago.

https://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html
Front yard mechanic
Water spots can be removed but small sand blast chips will never polish out. I used black car wax and that helps hide small imperfection but doesn’t last very long
g911
Anything for lexan windshields showing scratches?
Amphicar770
The windshield on my beater Malibu was very scratched up..I used a glass polishing pad with my random orbital polisher and had great results.

https://youtu.be/LE6Tl0uuths

iankarr
Griots glass polish kit and a DA did an awesome job getting minor scratches out of my glass. Anything you can feel with your fingernail is probably beyond polishing….
Olympic 914
Ordered the Eastwood kit.

Will report back on how it works.

this will be my winter project.
rgalla9146

Just as an aside.
What works on windshields does not work on the door or rear glass.
0 results with hours spent using the kit that works on windshields.
StarBear
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Dec 2 2022, 08:56 AM) *

Ordered the Eastwood kit.

Will report back on how it works.

this will be my winter project.

Yes, please do report!
popcorn[1].gif
Might encourage me……
Mikey914
Yes yiu can, just not deep scratches. We have a kit.
930cabman
New windscreen is the only way. I have been in the glass/glazing biz for many years. There is no polish we have found and we have tried many. My local guy charges me $350. new windscreen installed, why fool around with snake oil
Mikey914
Not necessarily snake oil. The pads do work, but they can't be too aggressive or they require more stages and even more time. The general rule is if you can catch it with your fingernail replace. Now if it's an original and you have 10-12 hours to work on it, polishing may be the way to go, but it is a slow process.
rhodyguy
Jewelers rouge.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 2 2022, 08:50 AM) *

New windscreen is the only way. I have been in the glass/glazing biz for many years. There is no polish we have found and we have tried many. My local guy charges me $350. new windscreen installed, why fool around with snake oil

Agree new windshied is what you need, its good fun to install and you will feel like a king when its done
StarBear
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 2 2022, 11:47 AM) *

Yes yiu can, just not deep scratches. We have a kit.

Good to know! 1 hour maybe twice a week and it’s done in 5-6 weeks and able to keep original windshield and markings. Maybe not 100% perfect as new, but can live with 80-90% for sure! beer3.gif
troth
I had a buddy start doing mine before I could stop him (I was inside taking a piss at the time) during a garage session. It didn’t hurt anything. Secondhand anecdotally I have a glass guy that has said it can work.

To the others saying just replace the glass, I think there is something to be said for having original glass in the car with oem stamps. There is also risk involved if you break it while replacing which is not a likely possibility if you take your time, but it’s a risk nonetheless.
Aerostatwv
There seems to be a lot of YouTube videos that may show you what's out there and how it's done. Looks like the key thing is to go slow and keep it cool.
930cabman
QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Dec 2 2022, 02:57 PM) *

There seems to be a lot of YouTube videos that may show you what's out there and how it's done. Looks like the key thing is to go slow and keep it cool.

Sure, there are several different polishes and/or methods, but there is nothing like a new windscreen. I am very open to a process for polishing but in my 50+ years in the biz, I still have yet to find an acceptable means. What is your time worth?
fixer34
Following this, been asking myself the same question for years. Original windshield on my -6 seems to be smooth, but when the sunlight hits it just right, it almost goes translucent. So begs the discussion about replace with aftermarket new (and clean/clear) or try to revive original equipment on a numbers matching car.
Ishley
Ian Karr uses something on one of his YouTube videos and it looked great. You should be able to make it better.
Mikey914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Dec 2 2022, 05:21 PM) *

Following this, been asking myself the same question for years. Original windshield on my -6 seems to be smooth, but when the sunlight hits it just right, it almost goes translucent. So begs the discussion about replace with aftermarket new (and clean/clear) or try to revive original equipment on a numbers matching car.

The question here is, why? The windshields are laminated together, if the center layer is why, then no amount of polishing will help. If it's a fine pitting from the glass being abraded over time you have a shot.
dhuckabay
QUOTE(g911 @ Dec 1 2022, 06:24 PM) *

Anything for lexan windshields showing scratches?

Have a cleaner polish for my planes window, bought it from Spruce Supply. Works well on Lexan.
Mikey914
Lexan is just a trade name for acrylic. You can polish acrylic using wet sand paper and the 3M perfect-it system.

Start with the least grit needed (600 hopefully, or higher), then wipe clean, go to 1200, then 2000.
After you can use the perfect it system. I've done this on the WAS tops and on aircraft I've owned.
930cabman
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 3 2022, 03:41 PM) *

Lexan is just a trade name for acrylic. You can polish acrylic using wet sand paper and the 3M perfect-it system.

Start with the least grit needed (600 hopefully, or higher), then wipe clean, go to 1200, then 2000.
After you can use the perfect it system. I've done this on the WAS tops and on aircraft I've owned.

Lexan is a product of GE and is a polycarbonate NOT an acrylic.

Many of us with ageing vision have a difficult time with night vision, rain, depth. Why would anyone cheap out with their windscreen.

One answer: new windscreen
Mikey914
Then the windows were not Lexan. Polycarb is definitely a different animal.
burton73
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 3 2022, 12:41 PM) *

Sheet grade polycarbonate (aka Lexan or Makrolon) and acrylic sheet (aka Lucite) are two of the most frequently used see-through plastics. Each of the two have benefits and drawbacks. Acrylic is shinier and polycarb is stronger. Acrylic is less expensive but easier to crack.Oct 12, 2022

Lexan is more flexible is used on motorcycle windshields. I use it around the deck of my jacuzzi as Acrylic is much easier to crack. As far as polishing goes pretty similar you got to go through the sanding grits and then you got to buff it with a wheel or a non-directional sander. Different grits of compound so you get the desired effect. New compounds from people like the Chemical Guys really help with this job.

Bob B

relentless
There is nothing like a clean, fresh windshield. Especially after 50 years of sand blasting! Back in the day we used Cerium Oxide, but polish too long and you ended up with distortions in vision. Not good. Don't cheap out, these cars are becoming too valuable to cut corners. Evaluate whether your windshield can have water spots removed (doable) or whether the damage is permanent.
930cabman
QUOTE(relentless @ Dec 3 2022, 06:48 PM) *

There is nothing like a clean, fresh windshield. Especially after 50 years of sand blasting!

Exactly, I like a fresh windscreen in my DD and have changed them 4-5 years just because, seeing clearly is good
Olympic 914
Decided to work on this yesterday,
Promised report.

Here’s what’s in the Eastwood package

Click to view attachment

First I laid some plastic drop cloths over the car to protect from compound getting everywhere

Click to view attachment

You can see the wiper marks here reflected in the light.

Click to view attachment

I only used two teaspoons of compound mixed with a sprits of water to mix it up (they recommend a toothpaste like thickness, mine was thinner)

Started out with their pad mounted in a cordless drill, they recommend a speed of 600-1500 rpm max
Well my dual range drill goes 0-450 or 0-1800. So I put it on the lower range to start.

Click to view attachment

Very hard keeping the 3” pad they supplied flat on the surface, It would start to oscillate violently at 450 and you had to stop and start again. In the top range anywhere near the 1500 it was slinging compound all over everything, So I stayed with the lower range.

When the instructions say “Labor intensive” They are not kidding.

I worked the windshield for 3 hours doing ¼ at a time, spritzing with water to keep the surface wet (but not running) wiping off every 15-20 min to check progress.

And change batteries, (Had two on charge all the time)

After around 3 hours I stopped for lunch and thought about this for a while.

Then I decided to get out my Porter Cable Orbital buffer and try that out.

Click to view attachment

I had originally not used it because the min speed was 2400 OPM and I thought it would be too fast.

Found that a Meguires 6” cutting pad seemed to be similar to the 3” wool or felt pad supplied by Eastwood.

Click to view attachment

So I hooked up the 6” pad and started again.

MUCH much easier to control, and I could do ½ the windshield at a time. The larger pad didn’t want to lift an edge like the smaller pad, Kept it moving to avoid heating up one spot.

Click to view attachment

So I worked this for about another 3 ½ hours and I am quite happy with the results.
If I get the light Just right I can still see where the wiper marks were, BUT they are almost invisible.

Click to view attachment

A drive at night with lights coming towards me will be the real test.
Hoping for the best.

I only used two teaspoons of compound mixed with water out of the ½ lb supplied in the kit.
You could do this many times with this much compound.

With this compound you don't have to worry about cutting too much, It takes a long time so it must be pretty fine.

I struggled with the 3" pad on a drill, Maybe on orbital buffer it would have been OK but the 6" pad was much easier to control

Hope this helps someone who wants to tackle this project.
StarBear
Soooo helpful. Encourages me to initiate effort after New Years. Great idea with the plastic; wouldn’t have thought of that. Maybe more like 90 minute sessions for me, though.
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
bbrock
Just seeing this thread. I've polished (actually ground) out some pretty serious scratches and on side glass to boot. Everybody says it can't be done until somebody does it. Then they still say it can't be done. av-943.gif

It was not easy, but I was able to salvage a set of tinted side glass. Here's how I did it:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2790699
Dion
Looks great Tom! Yes, I remember now how messy a process it was and quite the time consumer. Well done.
rgalla9146
My experience was with a basic kit that provider no results after a few hours effort.
I have scratched tinted side glass too......
Brents results give me hope.
Excellent job.
Rory
StarBear
Whew! Taking winter weather episode to do this in the garage. Both in-progress and done pics below.
Thanks to @olympic 914 for encouragement, advice, and just the right amount of little white powder!
No dramatic wow results as was in fairly good shape before, but got rid of little divots, light scratches, and wiper wear area on a 48-year old face. I should be so lucky!
About 6-7 hours of polishing. Do use the 6” pad and sufficient orbital polisher; can’t imagine doing it with a 3” one.

@rgalla9146 Do it! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.