Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to find MSD wiring diagram
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
where do i find a wiring diagram for an msd box...?
Mugs914
Right here:

http://www.msdignition.com/1download.htm

That page has the instructions for the various MSD boxes. There is more info on the site if you don't see what you need on that particular page.

Have fun!
pete-stevers
i am looking for specific info on a msd 6200
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ May 4 2006, 02:24 PM) *

is that not just a 6A/L box?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 4 2006, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ May 4 2006, 02:24 PM) *

is that not just a 6A/L box?

this is how ive hooked them up....

ThePaintedMan
Ohh buddy am I going to get flamed for this one (digging up an old thread, but hey, at least I didn't start a new one!). I searched but unfortunately since MSD is 3 letters, I didn't have much luck.

I've read through the MSD manual here:
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/M...upport/WDTN.PDF

But I have a more unique setup. I want to wire an MSD 6AL with tach adapter AND to a distributor with a Pertronix/Compufire unit installed. Can anyone point me to the correct diagram in the directions, or even better, clarify what wires should go where?

I am a wiring dummy - it's probably the one thing I hate the most with cars. Bodywork, metal work, greasy nasty stuff, no problem. Wiring... I hate.

Thank you! pray.gif
ThePaintedMan
Bueller? biggrin.gif
LotusJoe
I'm pretty certain you cannot use the MSD with the Compu-Fire ignition module. Assuming that is what your using. Petronix / Compu-Fire are two different types of units.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

With the Compu-Fire you do not need any additional units. It is self contained.
I was running the Crane Fireball XR700 with the petronix ingition module. On the advise from Fat Performance I replaced both with the compu-fire unit and have no regrets. Timing is spot on with no issues what so ever.

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Jun 26 2013, 07:42 PM) *

I'm pretty certain you cannot use the MSD with the Compu-Fire ignition module. Assuming that is what your using. Petronix / Compu-Fire are two different types of

With the Compu-Fire you do not need any additional units. It is self contained.
I was running the Crane Fireball XR700 with the petronix ingition module. On the advise from Fat Performance I replaced both with the compu-fire unit and have no regrets. Timing is spot on with no issues what so ever.

Thanks Joe. Hmm. That I was unaware of. This is a Compufire, but I was under the impression that it worked the same way as a Pertronix, i.e. Hall effect.

They're both wired the same way, with two wires (red and black) which correspond to the + and - sides of the coil.

Perhaps someone else can verify this though.
Mark Henry
Page 38
"MSD 6 series to Mallory Unilite",
OR if you are handy with wiring you can do "MSD 6 series to Other magnetic Pick-up Distributors" you can buy the connector part from MSD and make you own connector.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8824

I realize you are talking about a pertonix...wire it the same.

BTW with MSD really points would be good enough, you no longer have all that volts going through the points.
Think about it.... the points are now just a trigger, they will no longer burn out.
ThePaintedMan
Thanks Mark.

A quick item I noticed in the MSD instructions - it says for the 12V power and ground, which both connect directly to the battery via 12 gauge wires, to NOT use a fuse. Anyone recommend otherwise?
Mark Henry
I should have kept going to page 39, "MSD 6 series to Pertonix Kit" smile.gif

The heavy red wire and heavy black go to the battery and are internally fused.
The small red wire goes to ignition.
jasons
I made this diagram a long time ago...

IPB Image

You might find more info in this thread....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93631
jcd914
QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 27 2013, 04:44 PM) *

I made this diagram a long time ago...

IPB Image

You might find more info in this thread....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93631

When Rob and I did his car, we wired it like this except the tach a would not work.
Ended up getting rid of the tach adapter and running the tach right off the MSD "Tach Out", worked perfect.

Jim
ThePaintedMan
Thanks Jason and Jim!

I guess I could try running it off of the tach out first, since this would obviously be the easiest.

I should have mentioned that this is a '73, with silver dot gauges. I read that silver dots need the tach adapter, but the 75-75 black dots do not. Either way, my tach adapter is #8910, which is triggered by the white wire an only has two wires (red and white). The #8920 is the one with 4, which Jason posted. Guess I'll find out when I hook it all up this weekend.
jcd914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 28 2013, 07:49 AM) *

I read that silver dots need the tach adapter, but the 75-75 black dots do not.

I had never heard this.
Rob's car is a 75, so maybe that is why it worked for us and hasn't for others.

Jim
ThePaintedMan
Yeah, unfortunately I am an electrical idiot. Bodywork, metalwork, and suspension stuff is more up my alley, but apparently the later tachs use a different signal than the earlier ones. Do the late tachs get their signal from the coil positive, or negative? I know the early ones are hooked to the coil negative, and apparently that's why the #8910 is required to make them work.
michael7810
I had to use the tach adapter on my 72 with Pertronix and MSD 6AL. I can poSt a wiring diagram on Sunday when I get home if you need it. I remember using the diagram that came with the MSD but it was confusing.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 28 2013, 11:39 AM) *

I had to use the tach adapter on my 72 with Pertronix and MSD 6AL. I can poSt a wiring diagram on Sunday when I get home if you need it. I remember using the diagram that came with the MSD but it was confusing.

That would be a huge help Michael! I would really appreciate it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.