Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How I put new speakers in the original grills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
This is a very easy and fast job to do.

My car didn't have the original speakers. I think they are no longuer available.

I bought new 4"x6" speakers. You can now find some very cheap with tweeters included. They are smaller than the original one, so you have to make an adapter.

I made a shape that you can download and print from here :

Download the shape

You must print it with "NO RESIZE" option checked ...

Here we go ...

Download and print the shape. cut it out (the red paper)

The shape works for both left and right speaker ... you just have to reverse it.

IPB Image

Trace, drill and cut a thick paperboard

IPB Image

Screw the loudspeaker over the paperboard.
I know !!! this red loudspeaker is gonna look ugly in my teener ... but wait and see wink.gif

IPB Image
johannes
I still had the original sound fabric grill. I washed it but it keeped grey.
I finally painted it with black mat paint. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

I reshaped it so it fits this way.

IPB Image

Then screw the adapter to the plastic grill. You will need some metric screws ... Easy to find here ... Don't know if it's easy to find in the USA ... sad.gif

IPB Image
johannes
He he ! see , the red loudspeaker is almost unvisible ... wub.gif

IPB Image

Once in the car, you won't notice beerchug.gif

IPB Image

That's all folks !
BigDBass
Nice job and thanks for the write-up!
markb
clap56.gif
Eric_Shea
Simply Classic (again).

You do good work. smilie_pokal.gif
AZ914
Very Nice!!

This thread and Johannes' door panel thread should go to the classic threads section at some point.
r_towle
Now,
did you have to crush the heater tube running up behind that speaker???

Rich
Air_Cooled_Nut
Metric fasteners are easy to find, even in The Middle of No-Where bootyshake.gif The local Ace Hardware store is my supplier. If they're out of stock I simply tell Randy and I have 'em in a couple days smile.gif

What gets my goat: The Dellorto carbs on my Squareback are Italian made but use non-metric fasteners headbang.gif Everything on my car is metric except the carbs. Metric is sooooooooooooooooo much easier!
johannes
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 23 2006, 07:51 AM) *

Now,
did you have to crush the heater tube running up behind that speaker???

Rich

Good question. I didn't notice any problem ... Wait ... I'm gonna unscrew it and take a pic...

It seems there is enough room smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
Searching through old posts, I found this gem.

Has anyone tried this with 5x7s? Will they fit?!?!

And, how is the sound compared to door-mounted speakers?

Have a very nice 4-speaker Boston Acoustics setup now, but thinking about returning the interior to period-correct.

pete
horizontally-opposed
Oh yeah, and I second the nomination to put this one into the Classics thread

A great post! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

pete
johannes
Searching through old posts, I found this gem.

Has anyone tried this with 5x7s? Will they fit?!?!

And, how is the sound compared to door-mounted speakers?

Have a very nice 4-speaker Boston Acoustics setup now, but thinking about returning the interior to period-correct.

pete

I didn't test with 5X7 ... but I think they wont fit because of depth issues. Original speakers had inverted magnets (magnet on the font and not in the rear)...

Sound is crappy because of no volume behind the speaker so don't expect any bass ... sound with door speakers is better but I hate holes in the doors.

For bass you can build or buy a center console with speakers http://stores.ebay.com/Appearance-and-Performance
or fit a subwoofer under the passenger feet http://www.autoatlanta.com/tech/subwoofer.html

The thread is already in the classics ... smile.gif
DBCooper
The color shouldn't be a problem. If you don't like the red showing through (some people like it) you can put a light coat of flat black on the speaker itself without hurting it or affecting the sound. I said a LIGHT coat.
jrmole

I love the idea, but your template link is broken! Can you e-mail me the file? I can post it somewhere for others to pick it up.

Thanks.
johannes
Link is fixed ...
jim_hoyland
biggrin.gif Thanks. This should be a classic
PinetreePorsche
Q. for J. the speakerman: Loved the post, but all the 4x6's I've seen are junk. Yours look pretty good, but I can't read the print on them. What brand are they, where did you buy them? -Chris "PinetreePorsche"
johannes
They are kind of chineese junk too ... But you can find 4X6 from Pioneer or Alpine that are better. Only take a look at the magnet. This shouldn't be too large.

If you want to spend more $, you better buy Speakers with adapter plates ($45) from Appearence and Performance
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=58394
They have it also on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Appearance-and-Performance
Gint
Moved to the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum.
horizontally-opposed
So I am thinking about moving my tweeters and a pair of small midrange speakers to this location, and then replacing the 6.5s in my doors (hate the look, but that's for another day, and I do like tunes).

Any audio experts have some thoughts on what kind of MDF (or?) I should use for the board? I may add one more pair of tweeters where the current ones are in the doors dry.gif or get more creative in hiding them. We'll see...
914forme
@Horizontally-opposed Pete ABS or cellular PVC, think PVC trim, HPDE, or Acrylic.

But the choice really comes down to what you are doing. Cellular PVC does not hold threads well with out an insert.

Acrylic can be tapped and has a good solvent. = $$$. But this is the best choice for speaker adapters, just costs more.

ABS - Drill and Tap, heatable to bend, and has good solvents to weld it. your stuck with black, and a textured on one side.

HDPE - Cutting boards - cheap and easy to find. Threads well, but galls if doing it often. Does not glue well.

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 4 2021, 09:04 AM) *

@Horizontally-opposed Pete ABS or cellular PVC, think PVC trim, HPDE, or Acrylic.

But the choice really comes down to what you are doing. Cellular PVC does not hold threads well with out an insert.

Acrylic can be tapped and has a good solvent. = $$$. But this is the best choice for speaker adapters, just costs more.

ABS - Drill and Tap, heatable to bend, and has good solvents to weld it. your stuck with black, and a textured on one side.

HDPE - Cutting boards - cheap and easy to find. Threads well, but galls if doing it often. Does not glue well.

^ agree.gif

I went with ABS as I want to get away from materials that are easily compromised by moisture—whether leaking rain water or humidity over time. Not a huge issue where I live, but when you've got the choice…

So far, so good. A thick ABS board from TAP Plastics seemed like overkill, and heavier than it needed to be, felt just right once the large hole was cut out. Super stable, and very light. I've made a small tweak to Johannes' excellent template based on my other thread, and will share some pics when I have the boards completed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.