Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tear down of 1974 2.0L, going to be rebuilt into a 2056.
renaultc
post Apr 2 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,548
Region Association: Canada

Good Morning World,

My name is Chuck and I've been lurking on here for some time. I have a 1974 2.0L that I purchased a couple years ago from Craig at Camp 914. Very solid car but did leak a bit of oil (what 914 doesn't lol). Well the oil leak did start to become an issue with the significant other and the time has come to pull the engine and begin the teardown/rebuild process. More on this below.

The car does appear to be stock with the exception of EMPI carbs that were added a few years back, along with an EMPI distributor MSD ignition, coil and tach control unit have been added to facilitate the Carbs. I do have most of the D-jet components and considering re-using. The previous owner said he was chasing a leak some where and couldn't cure the high idle and made swapped to carbs.

Other Mods that have been done were the addition of J-West shift kit, conversion to 5lug, knock off Fuchs(wish I could afford the real ones), Knock off's will have to do for now.

From the pics you will see that the oil leak is primarily around the cylinders on the underside and at the cylinder heads. Not sure if the sealant used or was applied properly during a previous rebuild.

As you will note in the pics the heads do appear to be in really good shape along with the cylinders. My plan is to re-use the heads and if these cylinders are stock I'd like to bore to 96mm and install KB pistons/hastings rings. Change the cam to a suitable cam once I decide on which Fuel delivery system I want to use. If not stock d-jet then I'd like to get my hands on a set of Italian webers. if the crank and rods are good and no line bore is required then all these components will be re-used in my build.

I know questions and comments will be forthcoming and appreciate all comments from everyone and any advice you'd like to provide
Attached Image
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=495
323]Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid
=495327]Attached ImageAttached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 10:50 PM