Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another damned project thread, 914-6 3.2 conversion in GT dress-up
ConeDodger
post Nov 20 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #301

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6thmeRVz2So
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 20 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #302

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Why is the CHECK ENGINE light on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 20 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #303

Apex killer!

Check Engine? We have to figure that out...

Here is Mark with his helmet on... Wait, that isn't a helmet is it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 20 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #304

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 20 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #305

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

I wonder if the check engine light is on because the coolant sensor (CHT) is out of range. The firmware may be set up to turn it on if the temp is above 210.

Dave
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 20 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #306

Apex killer!

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 20 2011, 07:52 AM) *

I wonder if the check engine light is on because the coolant sensor (CHT) is out of range. The firmware may be set up to turn it on if the temp is above 210.

Dave

That is a possibility. I noticed that although the A:F ratio was just slightly on the rich side of stoichiometric the temperatures were low. Oil temperature was low normal but CHT was a bit low. EGT was more 'reactive'. It only went up when I was hammering on it. Which was pretty much all the time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 20 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #307

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Looks like fun... The CEL can also illuninate if you have a sensor reading thats erratic, like the AIT sensor, CHT or MAP.
The idle sounds a little high, unless you were on the accelerator while staging... All that heavy decel and engine braking forces the rings to seat.. Looks pretty quick :-)
Imagine that same engine combo, but with a tad more CR in my 356..
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 20 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #308

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 20 2011, 09:41 AM) *

Looks like fun... The CEL can also illuninate if you have a sensor reading thats erratic, like the AIT sensor, CHT or MAP.
The idle sounds a little high, unless you were on the accelerator while staging... All that heavy decel and engine braking forces the rings to seat.. Looks pretty quick :-)
Imagine that same engine combo, but with a tad more CR in my 356..

We left the idle high on purpose for now. Mark will be dialing that down soon. I would guess the culprit to be MAP then. This thing is prettty potent without the added CR. I was at 38.411 for my fastest time. FTD was either a Stalker or a Super 7 at around 35.XX. Those are 1200# vehicles with 1/2 the HP or more... Pretty hard to beat that kind of weight to HP ratio and race tires. I was like a proud papa with McMark. He started the day in the 45 second range and dialed it down to 39.XX in steady .5 to 1 second improvements. He also knew enough not to beat me in my own car. That would be a borrowed car foul!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Once again, this engine will require a learning curve. I was going so fast at the end of the fast sections that I was busier than a two-peckered owl in mating season! I would either have to slow down or polish my skills up to keep going that fast... This will be a terrific track day engine for sure! I did not think that it was possible for my car to push as polished as the set up is. But I was going so fast into turns that she would push like a pig! Toward the end of the day, I had figured out how to set myself for the corner and throttle steer around the turns. Mark was driving much smoother than I was but he was also experiencing the push. I think he even looped it once but I was the course marshal so I had to flag people on to the course and couldn't pay him too much attention. Not quite sure what to do about the push. The weight of the engine hasn't changed appreciably so the corner balance can't be too far off. It was colder (and wetter in the morning) than a witches tittie so that is a bit of it. It started to warm up in my second set of six runs but we lost the sun again in the afternoon. Mark got the better part of the warm day for his runs but he was still on the steep part of the learning curve then. He dialed it down to 1 second behind me by the end of the day with a cold track. This tells me that he will eventually beat me with practice. So of course this means he will need to find a car to autocross (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I can't have him beating me in my own car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #309

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Got one of my morning runs on YouTube now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6Eeu9_w90

Oh, and I never looped it. I never hit a cone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) But that probably means I wasn't pushing it hard enough. So yeah, it's time to get my car finished up and get some AX action. I had a blast. Best time: 39.386. I really didn't think I had any more time to gain before I headed into the third session, but turned out that I pulled a second off my previous best time.

It was a great shakedown run for Rob's car. Now we know a few little things that popped up that can be sorted out and it's got enough time on it for another oil change and valve adjustment. Plus the necessary nut-n-bolt check to make sure everything is staying tight.

Okay, enough chit-chat. I'm gonna go hack Rob's car up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 20 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #310

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

No check engine light on that run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #311

914 Freak!

Yeah, I wasn't punching the throttle like Rob was. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 20 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #312

Apex killer!

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 20 2011, 02:28 PM) *

Got one of my morning runs on YouTube now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6Eeu9_w90

Oh, and I never looped it. I never hit a cone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) But that probably means I wasn't pushing it hard enough. So yeah, it's time to get my car finished up and get some AX action. I had a blast. Best time: 39.386. I really didn't think I had any more time to gain before I headed into the third session, but turned out that I pulled a second off my previous best time.

It was a great shakedown run for Rob's car. Now we know a few little things that popped up that can be sorted out and it's got enough time on it for another oil change and valve adjustment. Plus the necessary nut-n-bolt check to make sure everything is staying tight.

Okay, enough chit-chat. I'm gonna go hack Rob's car up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Ya'll notice the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) smileys? I couldn't stand to be there for this part... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) When you start with a car that has only 70XXX miles and was pretty original and well preserved, it's a little hard to watch it cut up for flares... Good thing I trust McMark right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 20 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #313

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

It didn't sound like you ever really hit WOT.. Did you?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2011, 07:15 PM
Post #314

914 Freak!

I might not have.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 20 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #315

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 20 2011, 05:14 PM) *

It didn't sound like you ever really hit WOT.. Did you?

Not enough room Jake... But with all that torque you can see me jumping around sideways through that last section of sweeper... I think Mark had the secret. He wasn't as tempted to use it all and was able to use all of the finesse built into that suspension. I normally beat people who beat me yesterday so like often happens with your engines, I slowed down. Last event, I hardly touched the brakes. Pretty much only to transfer weight. This time I'm locking them up and pushing through corners like a plow... NEED MORE TIRE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Note: With Jake's engines, you often slow down before you go faster due to the fact that all of that HP and torque takes a while to get used to... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Nov 21 2011, 01:12 AM
Post #316

Member No.: 12,594

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Nov 20 2011, 02:31 PM) *

No check engine light on that run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Maybe Mark had his seatbelt fastened and Rob didn't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Sounds like you guys had a great day, new motor seems to be everything you wanted. Next year will be like having a whole new car!

Glad all went well.
Jeff
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 21 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #317

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Wow, sounds like you guys had a great day. Wait till you get some race tires under that puppy. OK now is the time for Mark to start on Phase II, getting some weight off...he knows where to start!

What you'll find is that it takes about a year to begin to manage the loud pedal. Actually all the torque is pretty mesmerizing; you'll be going down a straight and just blown away by how well the car moves. You end up thinking about THAT and boom, here comes a corner and back to reality.

Anyway was thinking about the Infineon event when I started the early morning Thanksgiving Day work orders issued by the wifey. Man, so much work, but was done in time to watch the 49'er on Sunday afternoon.

Start planning on coming up to Medford for the Spring Enduro. I'm going for sure and will be saving a good pair of Canti's for the event. You can wear out a set of tires as they practice Friday and Saturday, then run Sunday, i.e. tons of seat time.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 21 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #318

Apex killer!

Randal, this car will always be a compromise. My vision for it doesn't include making it more race car... I want to street drive it, take it to the occasional concours and win, and do track days and autocross with it. I want my wife to get in and take a ride. Your car is immaculate but Yopu would never climb in for a ride... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I hope to build a purpose built 'race' car with a partner. Maybe Mark...

I agree completely though, that last sweeper that extends the full length of the lot had me hard on the hammer and trying to hold it together in that 'stupid' last section of the course at the finish... I have to get used to not using all of that power... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 21 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #319

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 21 2011, 08:06 AM) *

Randal, this car will always be a compromise. My vision for it doesn't include making it more race car... I want to street drive it, take it to the occasional concours and win, and do track days and autocross with it. I want my wife to get in and take a ride. Your car is immaculate but Yopu would never climb in for a ride... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I hope to build a purpose built 'race' car with a partner. Maybe Mark...

I agree completely though, that last sweeper that extends the full length of the lot had me hard on the hammer and trying to hold it together in that 'stupid' last section of the course at the finish... I have to get used to not using all of that power... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I agree with you Rob.

Having a nice car and keeping it that way is a great way to go. Getting to drive on the street is a joy, which you can't do with a race car.

And when you want to AutoX or track the car just throw on a set of 205 Hoosiers and you'll be blow away how well it handles. In fact I think the Hoosiers got up to operating temperature faster than anything else I've used. And when you get adhesive grip it's something.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 21 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #320

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looks like fun.

Congratulations guys.
+Quote Post

69 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 11:20 AM