Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

37 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003, Alien Resurection is underway. Boxster Transaxle Update for 914 Day
rick 918-S
post Apr 23 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #181

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

We had an exciting night tonight. I started to sort out the flat connector from the relay board to the engine. There is still a bunch of work to do before we can test drive this thing but I tickled the key and the motor cranked over! The thumping low tone of the pistons coming up on compression and wooshing the air out the open exhaust was exhilerating!

I had to order a custom fitting today to relocate the oil pressure sender. It won't be in until next week. So no oil in the engine yet. So if things go well I will be able to fire it up with in the next 7 days.

I'm cutting this real close. But that's all part of it. In the last two weeks before the classic it will be 24-7.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Apr 23 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #182

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rich,
I feel I need to note something out in the open. I have been following this discussion for some time. I have to say you are the most industrious person I know of. Everytime I turn around you have completed something major on this car. Talk about rapid milestones! Anyways keep up the good and hard work. I hope the alien project sets a pivot of achievement for others to emulate. Maybe not in the same way, but in the way that nothing is impossible to do with a little imagination, time and a strong determination. It is certainly one of a kind. You have more guts than I, to tackle such a seemly endless vertical challenge. Motivates me to read each post you make on the status of this car. I hope to see this car in person one day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 23 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #183

Hey nice rack! -Celette

<!-- QuoteBegin-Steve Thacker+Apr 23 2004, 04:05 AM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Apr 23 2004, 04:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> Rich,
I feel I need to note something out in the open. I have been following this discussion for some time. I have to say you are the most industrious person I know of. Everytime I turn around you have completed something major on this car. Talk about rapid milestones! Anyways keep up the good and hard work. I hope the alien project sets a pivot of achievement for others to emulate. Maybe not in the same way, but in the way that nothing is impossible to do with a little imagination, time and a strong determination. It is certainly one of a kind. You have more guts than I, to tackle such a seemly endless vertical challenge. Motivates me to read each post you make on the status of this car. I hope to see this car in person one day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) <!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
Thanks for the support! I need it. It's hard to go out there every night til midnight. I try not to work past 2:30 am.

If I didn't need money I would do this full time. I can't tell you all how much I enjoy working on cars. Not the greasy stuff. I hate getting dirty. I'm not into the basic bolt up stuff. I really like doing things that are a stretch. To give you an idea, my next conquest is going the be an E30 BMW. To the non BMW guys that's like a 1990 3 series car. I located a complete 1989 BMW 750IL donor. Picture the little 2 door slammed, tucked, and tweeky with that big 12 cylinder stuffed under the hood! Biggest part of that conversion will be the wiring. OBC, duel drive by wire throttle motors (high side of $800.00 ea,), twin AFM, etc.

Ya, I'm car crazzzy!

BTW, I'm going to try to make the MWC this year as well. Maybe we can meet there!
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Apr 23 2004, 06:51 AM
Post #184

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 110

my next conquest is going the be an E30 BMW. To the non BMW guys that's like a 1990 3 series car. I located a complete 1989 BMW 750IL donor.  

That is going to be sweet too.

There is a guy who has stuffed a V-8 into an E21 that is pretty killer if he ever got it running.

Check it out http://www.sterling-carcare.com/YeloCar/

750 engine uses 2 completely seprate motronic systems, it is basically 2 m-30 6 cylinders mmerged and runs a fuel injection system for each bank (at least the early ones do.)

A 750 is fast and its a barge, imagine what it would do in an E30 body! I chased one around road atlanta in my 2.9 litre 323i. Never could pass the bastard.............

(IMG:http://home.att.net/~duckryder/323finalengine1.jpg)

Can't wait to see the alien finished. Maybe we need a new saying "You can't put a 928 motor in a 914" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Apr 23 2004, 08:23 AM
Post #185

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rich,
I'm pushing to complete also for the MWC this year. I have to build some quick speaker boxes to replace the factory ones on the kick panel. Ya I know, I'm too cheap to spring for the ones on ebay. I have close to $15,000 now in my car and I have to call the dog off the tracks somewhere. Good thing I do everything except body and paint work. My apologies to the person on this board for not purchasing the new speaker panels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) They are well worth it no doubt, but I'm a DIY fella. The last thing is have the paint touched up and the engine fine tuned. then off to the show!!!!
+Quote Post
cha914
post Apr 23 2004, 09:09 AM
Post #186

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Rich,

Great to see you are finally reaching your goal...and fast...I remember when I first got started in the 914's seeing the beginning of your project, and always thinking...will he ever get done with that thing?...but after spending almost 4 years getting my car to where it is I have alot of respect for all your work, and can't wait to see the finished product.

OH and I am sure you have seen this already, but in case you hadn't - e30 w/ v12 goodness:

(IMG:http://www.bmw-power.de/Fahrzeuge/E30_350i_stelze/350_v12_8.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.bmw-power.de/Fahrzeuge/E30_350i_stelze/350_v12_10.jpg)

from this site:
http://www.bmw-power.de/Fahrzeuge/E30_350i..._uebersicht.htm

Yours,

Tony - also an e30 nut -
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Apr 23 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #187

Oh man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

5 lugs and M5 wheels (less vanes) too. Schweettttttttt

Robert < General BMW nut with E21 soft spot.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Apr 23 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #188

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yea, I got an e21.....1979 320i.....I was also thinking about a v-8...I just happen to have a ford 302...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Apr 23 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #189

I've had those same thoughts, very preliminary measurments indicate it would fit nicely.

If you aren't already you should sign up on the digest.

List instructions:
Post message: BMW_E21_Digest@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: BMW_E21_Digest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: BMW_E21_Digest-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: BMW_E21_Digest-owner@yahoogroups.com

BMW E21 Digest FAQ:
http://www.e21bmw.net/faq

Pre-YahooGroups Digest Archives:
http://silkpresence.com/BMW/search.html

URL to this page:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BMW_E21_Digest

Now that we pulled this one completely off topic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 23 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #190

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(cha914 @ Apr 23 2004, 07:09 AM)
Rich,

Great to see you are finally reaching your goal...and fast...I remember when I first got started in the 914's seeing the beginning of your project, and always thinking...will he ever get done with that thing?...but after spending almost 4 years getting my car to where it is I have alot of respect for all your work, and can't wait to see the finished product.

OH and I am sure you have seen this already, but in case you hadn't - e30 w/ v12 goodness:

(IMG:http://www.bmw-power.de/Fahrzeuge/E30_350i_stelze/350_v12_8.jpg)

from this site:
http://www.bmw-power.de/Fahrzeuge/E30_350i..._uebersicht.htm

Yours,

Tony - also an e30 nut -

Yes I have seen it! It's coool! There is very little info on line about the workings of the V12. The guys that have them don't work on them. The V12 looks like a nice fit in the E30 chassis. The E36 front suspension bolts in as well. (5 bolt and big brakes) I guess the Z3 rear trailing arms fit as well for the rear 5 bolt conversion.

Man did we De-rail this one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 26 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #191

Hey nice rack! -Celette

All electrical connections to the engine are finished. Thermo time, cold start, alternator, starter, MSD, Blaster 2 coil, all mounted and done.

I have one more minor setback. I need the harness side of the distributor connector. The 928 has a duel sheilded wire. I have a friend that works at the salvage yard where I purchased the engine clipping one for me. I won't have it until Thursday!

Waiting for my gauges to show. I purchased two VDO temp gauges. One for the engine and one for the radiator.

Also ordered an electric VDO 150 lb. oil pressure gauge. Waiting for a reducer fitting for the oil pressure sensor to arrive.

Still need to wire my VDO volt meter.

I have every thing for the fuel system. I'm starting to connect it all up after work this week. I also need to finish the cooling system this week. including the temp sensor switch for the fan control.

I finished the shift linkage today. installed and adjusted.

Axles ready to go in. Need flange gaskets.

I'm traveling out of town for work next sunday evening, monday, tuesday, returning home wednesday night! I hope to here the engine at least fire before I leave. I couldn't be cutting it closer.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 3 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #192

Hey nice rack! -Celette

First chance I had to post since last weekend. It turns out I needed a spark box between the distributor and the MDS 6AL. Not simply a Bosch connector. So I couldn't finish the ignition system on Friday night.

I worked on the water connections from the block to the radiator. That's about 70% done now.

I made some calls to a few import car guy's I know on Saturday night. I managed to scrounge a complete Bosch spark box and harnesss from a Volvo. A friend of mine had one and told me he would bring it over on Sunday morning. I worked on the plumbing for the cooling system until 4:00 am on Sunday.

I knew this friend of mine was coming over and didn't want to miss him so I woke up at 6:30 am. I made coffee an went back out to work. About 9:30 am the parts arrived. After about 10 minutes of studying the wire diagram with my reading glasses I made the connections. I twisted the key and we had a huge, FAT, blue lightning bolt flash off the coil wire!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I finished the perminent wiring for the spark box. I had to stop working at 3:30pm to get ready for a trip. I spent the rest of the day (arrived at 11:00pm dragging tail!)driving to Des Moine for a mandatory company training.

So I'm currently in Des Moine. if anyone in the club lives here and wants to hang out tomorrow leave a message for me at the down town Marriot. I'm stuck here until Wednesday.

I'm done at noon on Wednesday and will be home by about 7:00pm. I will finish the fuel system and test fire the motor this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 3 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #193

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yah! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Go Rich! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) I want a sound clip when you get it goin.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post May 3 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #194

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sweet, can't wait to see pics of exhaust coming out the pipes.

BTW did Des Moines change it name to Des Moine w/o me knowing it, hehe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post May 3 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #195

I break stuff...

Member No.: 737
Region Association: None

the man never sleeps....amazing work and determination....I hope I can have half your passion for my projects in coming years.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 3 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #196

Hey nice rack! -Celette

There is 24 hours in a day. I'll sleep when I'm dead! I'm going crazy here because I can't work on the car. I gave the kids about 5 big jobs to complete while I'm out of town. I hope they get things done.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
ablose58
post May 4 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #197

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

Keep on keep in on rich! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Many hurdles done with more to go! But I see light at the end of the tunnel or is that a pot'o' gold at the end of the rainbow? You rock man, A man after my own heart! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) AL
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 4 2004, 06:55 AM
Post #198

Hey nice rack! -Celette

BTW: I spoke with my upholstry guy last night. I think he will be done with my seats. He lives 150 miles away from me but I go right by his place on my trip home from Des Moine! cross your fingers for me!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 5 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #199

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I'm back home from my trip. No work done on the car since sunday, no shop cleaning done. The kids had a school project they needed to complete. My oil pressure gauge didn't show, and the seats weren't done. I did get to see them in progress. They are going to be outragious! I'm back at it tomorrow after work. I will test fire the motor this weekend. I'll see if I can have the kids do a video clip with sound!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 5 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #200

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Hey Geoff! Did you send me these? COOOOL! These were waiting for me in my mail!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

37 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 09:14 AM