Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bolt on power enhancements, what would be your first choice?
Bolt on power enhancements
What would be most important / first choice?
Exhaust (headpipes) [ 10 ] ** [4.88%]
Exhaust (muffler) [ 15 ] ** [7.32%]
complete exhaust [ 90 ] ** [43.90%]
new design cooling fan [ 5 ] ** [2.44%]
electrical engine cooling in addition to stock [ 3 ] ** [1.46%]
Tuned intake plenums [ 3 ] ** [1.46%]
tuned intake assemblies (complete replacement) [ 13 ] ** [6.34%]
Turbo charger system for fuel injection [ 43 ] ** [20.98%]
Turbo charger system for carburetion [ 23 ] ** [11.22%]
Total Votes: 205
Guests cannot vote 
Jake Raby
post Nov 7 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #41

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Yep and his system didn't even incorporate cooling or EFI....
I threw away about 8K bucks in time on the 914 Turbo kit, but I tossed it and took the write off and called it done..

Lesson learned.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Nov 7 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #42

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

So Jake, you did not have ANY biters on your kits???
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 7 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #43

Engine Surgeon

Yeah a couple.. But not nearly enough to warrant any sort of production.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Nov 8 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

I don't understand what the problem with 914 owners are. There are 18-21 year old kids that are turbocharging their Hondas from junkyard parts. Yes they already have water cooling and nice fuel injection, but that can be taken into the equation. It is not that hard, but you will learn a thing or two the hard way if you are not careful.

There are enough T4s in this world that blowing a few to smithereens will not cause a problem. If you want to go fast with a T4, put a turbo on it and learn the lessons the rest of us have learned.

check out www.homemadeturbo.com, yeah I know some of the stuff they do is hacked together. If you take your time and hunt for good parts you can do it without hacking.
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 8 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #45

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 7 2006, 10:26 PM) *

I don't understand what the problem with 914 owners are. There are 18-21 year old kids that are turbocharging their Hondas from junkyard parts. Yes they already have water cooling and nice fuel injection, but that can be taken into the equation. It is not that hard, but you will learn a thing or two the hard way if you are not careful.

There are enough T4s in this world that blowing a few to smithereens will not cause a problem. If you want to go fast with a T4, put a turbo on it and learn the lessons the rest of us have learned.

check out www.homemadeturbo.com, yeah I know some of the stuff they do is hacked together. If you take your time and hunt for good parts you can do it without hacking.
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/

914 turbos "have" been done...there are a handful around...the reason you don't see a bunch of them is that it's easier for many to do an engine conversion...for a /6 or even V6/V8 conversion 99% of all the parts needed can be bought...not so with a homemade turbo for a 914...only the talanted or stubborn will go thru the trouble of making a turbo 914.....as well as Jakes kit might be, if I had $5500 laying around just for the kit (and knowing that I don't have a decent long block to use it on) , I'd find a way to scrounge up a few more grand a do a mid-to-big /6 conversion...

the Honda turbos are very well documented, tons of support, much cheaper and easier to access parts and they don't have as many engine options as the 914 guys do....

also, in at least our PCA region (auto-x and DE), even adding a 2psi boost capable system to a dead and dying 1.7 would throw you right in the same class as mega dollar 911s that spend $30K just on the engine....point based system as of last year so the "penalities" of a boosted engine in a 914 not as bad....

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 8 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #46

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Yup. I believe all 4 cylander cars should be boosted.

I also belive all cars period should be boosted... Much better fuel economy and performance.. (no need for gas guzzling v8's in sports cars and the like)

Someone give me a turbo, a car, and 2k for parts and labor and they'll be running 4psi.(I would say 1k... but I dont want people to take me up on the offer... LOL)

Andrew
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 8 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #47

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 7 2006, 11:24 PM) *

I also belive all cars period should be boosted... Much better fuel economy and performance.. (no need for gas guzzling v8's in sports cars and the like)

Someone give me a turbo, a car, and 2k for parts and labor and they'll be running 4psi.(I would say 1k... but I dont want people to take me up on the offer... LOL)

Andrew

for $2K, I'd want more than 25hp for my car...if you are going to turbo, go for some "real" numbers that'll move the car along....(180hp +)

i'd be embarrased to say I had a Turbo 914 and it barely put out 130 to 140 HP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) ...might as well have stock turbo Colt.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Brett W
post Nov 8 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

That's the thing, if we had more people out building turbo engines and blowing them up or making good power, you would have a similar level of knowledge for others to build upon.

Now I have to agree for 5K I would start looking at other engines, but a turbocharged 4 should make a decent 180-200hp. It will not be a setup you can sit on the highway and run 150+ for hours on end. It would be something you have to use with control. To bad the T4 isn't as strong as other engines.

Look at the Type 1 engines, there are many options out their for turbo charging. Those guys are making decent power with boosted engines.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Nov 8 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #49

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 8 2006, 11:18 AM) *

That's the thing, if we had more people out building turbo engines and blowing them up or making good power, you would have a similar level of knowledge for others to build upon.

Now I have to agree for 5K I would start looking at other engines, but a turbocharged 4 should make a decent 180-200hp. It will not be a setup you can sit on the highway and run 150+ for hours on end. It would be something you have to use with control. To bad the T4 isn't as strong as other engines.

Look at the Type 1 engines, there are many options out their for turbo charging. Those guys are making decent power with boosted engines.

Good thought - to add, the advances made by bringing out all aluminum alloy cases has all but cured the most vulnerable weakness of T1 engines. Yes, they are heavier, but are no longer as brittle or flex-prone. Many T1 guys get enormous power (N/A & Turbo) with fairly good longevity.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 8 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #50

Engine Surgeon

The tally here at Aircooled Heaven stands at four engines killed purposely in 2006 with Boost...

when I start releasing information from these learnings as well as some components a lot of things will change. (again)

Yes, they are heavier, but are no longer as brittle or flex-prone. Many T1 guys get enormous power (N/A & Turbo) with fairly good longevity.

In a car 3-500 pounds lighter than a 914 and all they care about is the Qtr mile... Boost for longer periods of time with more load on the engine is where things get critical.

development with Boosted TIVs will continue clear through 2007 here, I put aside a new cooling system that I have planed for the past 3 years to create in 2007 to give the time to boost..

I have a customer on the hook who is begging for a his project car to be equipped with a 2.7L, twin plugged,m roller cammed, Motec injected, Intercooled Turbo beast... He is willing to be the guinea pig...

But its not a 914 :-)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 8 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #51

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 7 2006, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 7 2006, 11:24 PM) *

Andrew

The problem is that People throwing on turbo kits for cheap will be tempted to push a lot of boost.. and many people would be substituting a turbo for a bottom end build up.. I remember Jake saying something about the rings doing crazy things at 7psi.

IF the turbo kit were to produce more hp it would have to be a complete system, Like Jakes setup he had going...

Andrew

for $2K, I'd want more than 25hp for my car...if you are going to turbo, go for some "real" numbers that'll move the car along....(180hp +)

i'd be embarrased to say I had a Turbo 914 and it barely put out 130 to 140 HP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) ...might as well have stock turbo Colt.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 8 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 178

content removed
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Nov 8 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #53

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

The expense and work involved in properly turbocharging a Type IV probably compares well with doing a WRX conversion. I'm guessing thats why there isn't a ton of interest in a proper turbo kit. Not to mention that its not hard to get 300 RWHP from a WRX motor in a 914. I suspect that getting the same power from a Type IV would be either waaaay more epensive or much less reliable.

-Tony
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 8 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #54

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Nov 8 2006, 04:03 PM) *

The expense and work involved in properly turbocharging a Type IV probably compares well with doing a WRX conversion. I'm guessing thats why there isn't a ton of interest in a proper turbo kit. Not to mention that its not hard to get 300 RWHP from a WRX motor in a 914. I suspect that getting the same power from a Type IV would be either waaaay more epensive or much less reliable.

-Tony

I was a Subaru conversion doubter until I saw a nice Renegade turnkey job. Wow 250+ horsepower and the install looks like stock. Anyone wanting a 250+ HP car with modern day reliability needs to take a look at this as an option.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 8 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #55

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 6 2006, 10:17 PM) *

You can't turbo a type 4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yeppir! Sure can!
See Excellence, June 2002.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 8 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #56

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 8 2006, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 6 2006, 10:17 PM) *

You can't turbo a type 4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yeppir! Sure can!
See Excellence, June 2002.

But of course . . . 'tis a joke (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 8 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #57

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

917 flat 12?

Yeah, could have chosen the 16, but that would be overboard!
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 9 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 178

content removed
+Quote Post
nein14
post Nov 9 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 262

6 years and still running perfect! 2.0 4cyl. Bosch CIS KKK 26 turbo. 9lbs. of boost on the street 200 HP, 14lbs. on 100 octane race fuel on the track (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Nov 9 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #60

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

There's a KKK 26 turbo on eBay right now for about $25 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 10:47 PM