Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College budget restoration, Trudging forward
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 24 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #181

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I like the chrome-less look! Nice job! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 24 2013, 07:05 AM
Post #182

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Quite a transformation! You have every reason to be proud!
+Quote Post
KENNY
post Jan 24 2013, 07:15 AM
Post #183

Member No.: 243
Region Association: None

Awesome work!
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jan 24 2013, 07:17 AM
Post #184

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Holy Crap George, It's awesome!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 24 2013, 07:19 AM
Post #185

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Looking good. Sorry I never saw your post about those gouges in the primer coats. di that turn out o.k. once you got the color on ?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 24 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #186

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

I'm not inspired...I'm exhausted! I'm too old for this stuff but am glad to see some of you out there have a vision and tenacity to save cars like this! Your car looks great and you should be very proud!

Cracker
+Quote Post
stuttgart46
post Jan 24 2013, 07:41 AM
Post #187

Member No.: 8,474

Good looking car you got there. Well done.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 24 2013, 08:36 AM
Post #188

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

As always, thanks for the support fellas. The paint on the car didn't turn out quite like I had hoped, even though it looks decent in crappy pictures. Up close, there are a couple dimples I missed here and there and I should have spent more time with the 600 grit since I can detect some sanding lines in some areas. However, given the gouges that Scotty pointed out and the amount of crappy work done previously, I'm fairly happy with it. It was my first time spraying single stage, and I learned a few things. Either way, eventually it will hit the track and look better than 99% of the Chumpcars out there (well until the first corner at least.) For now I'm just having fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) and receiving thumbs ups!

Next to do:
Finish the bolt in cage
Wire up cutoff switch
Install remaining gauges (this will be a cool project - going to rework the dash in fiberglass)
Hopefully test it out at a DE soon
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 24 2013, 09:35 AM
Post #189

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

nice work george.
+Quote Post
Millerwelds
post Jan 24 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #190

Pleepleus

Member No.: 9,206
Region Association: Northern California

Looks great! I would paint the mirror(s) black so the body line flows better. I also like the all blacked out trim and black mirror(s) would add to that. Congratulations - great work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jdlmodelt
post Jan 28 2013, 09:11 AM
Post #191

James D. Lane

Member No.: 15,210
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 23 2012, 10:22 PM) *

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get any flack from anyone else for this....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

Are you unemployed or just living off of your parents? You must be to find time to go around telling people how they should live their lives.

FYI - I'm at the end of my coursework in my Masters Thesis, holding a 3.76 GPA while teaching several labs and busting my ass at my day job out in the sun. I'll be happy to provide a copy of my transcript as well as letters of reference if it pleases you. Otherwise, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) .

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jan 24 2012, 12:05 AM) *

Are you getting A's in school? If not, why the hell are you waisting your time with a beat up old car? It's an old piece of shit. Face it, you'd be better off studying & preparing for your future.

WOW! I can't believe someone would rip into you like that?! I am inspired and impressed with what you are working on and what you are accomplishing.
Keep up the amazing work!
James
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 28 2013, 09:28 AM
Post #192

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 28 2013, 10:11 AM) *

Are you unemployed or just living off of your parents? You must be to find time to go around telling people how they should live their lives.

FYI - I'm at the end of my coursework in my Masters Thesis, holding a 3.76 GPA while teaching several labs and busting my ass at my day job out in the sun. I'll be happy to provide a copy of my transcript as well as letters of reference if it pleases you. Otherwise, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) .

Are you getting A's in school? If not, why the hell are you waisting your time with a beat up old car? It's an old piece of shit. Face it, you'd be better off studying & preparing for your future.

WOW! I can't believe someone would rip into you like that?! I am inspired and impressed with what you are working on and what you are accomplishing.
James

Wow, the lack of civility is palpable. What is the point in posting such harsh words and criticizing?

I guess I have a dog in this fight:
BA Psychology with a 3.9 while working on my 914 and others transmissions.
MD - while working on my 914 and other transmissions.
MPH - third verse same as the first.

Oh, and I have many other projects as well. I put myself through school. I managed to fund my hobbies by providing services to members here like transmission clinics, DVDs, parts, interiors, CV bolts, special rear view mirrors.

How someone managed to maintain their hobby is none of your business unless they decide to share it. The distraction this hobby offers from school work is priceless.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jan 28 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #193

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2013, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 28 2013, 10:11 AM) *

James

Wow, the lack of civility is palpable. What is the point in posting such harsh words and criticizing?

Oh, and I have many other projects as well. I put myself through school. I managed to fund my hobbies by providing services to members here like transmission clinics, DVDs, parts, interiors, CV bolts, special rear view mirrors.

How someone managed to maintain their hobby is none of your business unless they decide to share it. The distraction this hobby offers from school work is priceless.

George is like the Board's adopted, little brother, most everyone tries to help him!

Some people forget their manners... "If you don't have something nice to say, than don't say anything!"
+Quote Post
bembry
post Jan 28 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #194

Member No.: 4,499

Man--great job with the car! Mine sat for 14 years before I got it going again. This was fast!
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Jan 28 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #195

Member No.: 14,464

Ignore the haters, George, and keep inspiring us with your work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 28 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #196

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2013, 10:28 AM) *

3.9 in psychology?... Why not a 4.0? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

My GPA was 3.925/4.0 for my BSEE...now that was a lot of work.

Only got a 3.75 for my MSEE. Of course, I had two small kids and was flying back and forth to England for a year. I guess I got lazy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 28 2013, 01:22 PM
Post #197

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Thanks again fellas. That guy posted a long time ago, and have not heard from him since. Either way, my coursework is done and now I'm just finishing up my thesis.

I always thought of myself as the red-headed stepchild of the forum, but I'll take younger brother any day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Full disclaimer though, I never intended this car to turn out as nice as it has, which is still a long way from most of your restorations. If quality isn't a main concern, it definitely speeds up the process. I envy those of you who are doing it "right." Hopefully I'll have some cool stuff to show in the next two months as the rest of the stuff gets done. Right now its wiring the kill switch ignition switch and starter button, which confuses the hell out of me. I'll need all the help I can get!
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Jan 28 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 5,568

Keep up the good work at school and on the teener, both will be well earned accomplishments when you're finished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Mike
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 28 2013, 02:07 PM
Post #199

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

My comment was not aimed at George, it was kind of hard to tell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 28 2013, 02:38 PM
Post #200

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2013, 03:07 PM) *

My comment was not aimed at George, it was kind of hard to tell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No offense taken Dr. Mike. Question for you though - as we all sat around imbibing watching the Rolex 24, I was asking some of the guys about my transmission. I noted that I usually can produce a grind in every gear but fifth if I don't give plenty of time between throws, and of course the 1st synchros are definitely shot. I haven't really ever driven a teener with a new transmission quickly, so I'm not sure - with a freshly rebuilt gear stack, is it possible to shift any quicker than a... one Mississippi, two Mississipi without them grinding? I'm assuming this transmission its the original box and never been serviced, though it does have brand new fluid in it which helps.

On a similar note, there is a guy about 50 miles away selling a recently rebuilt side shifter for $300, which I've considered. While I'd like to send this one off to you to work your magic on, I think this is a decent deal to swap out to get me around in the meantime. Your thoughts?
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2024 - 08:09 AM