Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College budget restoration, Trudging forward
Dr Evil
post Jan 28 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #201

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

1- Rebuilt for $300? I doubt that. I have some ocean front property in AZ for sale, too. Save your $300 and spend it on a rebuild of what you have. Better economy. Does the guy have any proof? All are cores without proof, most are cores after.

2- Grinding in all gears is usually an external issue. Does revers grind? This would indicate that your clutch is dragging and you need to tighten it up. It is rare that a tranz with good lube grinds in multiple gears.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 28 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #202

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2013, 04:05 PM) *

1- Rebuilt for $300? I doubt that. I have some ocean front property in AZ for sale, too. Save your $300 and spend it on a rebuild of what you have. Better economy. Does the guy have any proof? All are cores without proof, most are cores after.

2- Grinding in all gears is usually an external issue. Does revers grind? This would indicate that your clutch is dragging and you need to tighten it up. It is rare that a tranz with good lube grinds in multiple gears.

1 - This is by no means proof, but:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/pts/3530223889.html
I believe he did some SCCA club racing in the past, as he had a bunch of other stuff listed some time back. I have not called him to see if he's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) but I will do so.

2 - T.C., Paul and Steve also suspected the same thing. Reverse does not grind. Clutch is adjusted per your recommendations/diagram, in the "green" zone.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jan 28 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #203

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Wow George! You did a tremendous job on your teen!!! God Bless you more not only with car but also with your studies and with the support of your girlfriend and friends!

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 28 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #204

In what reality is 20K mi a rebuilt tranz??? Its a core. $300 might be nice for a great core, but who can say without pulling the stack.

No grind in revers = probably internal. Pull the stack and see.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 28 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #205

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2013, 05:58 PM) *

In what reality is 20K mi a rebuilt tranz??? Its a core. $300 might be nice for a great core, but who can say without pulling the stack.

No grind in revers = probably internal. Pull the stack and see.

Heehee, sorry. 20k is a lot better than whatever this one has on it. You're right though, pulling the stack is the only way to go. Trust me, its on my list of things to do. When I get around to it then, its going straight to you, fair warning! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 28 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #206

If you think 20Kmi is better than what you have you are missing the point that it takes far fewer neglected and abused miles to ruin a box.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 28 2013, 05:46 PM
Post #207

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2013, 06:39 PM) *

If you think 20Kmi is better than what you have you are missing the point that it takes far fewer neglected and abused miles to ruin a box.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Didn't mean to sound like I didn't. Like I said, eventually I'll suck it up and send you the guts. I promise.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 28 2013, 06:32 PM
Post #208

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

George, I've got Evil's Tranny Rebuild DVD & some of the Tools when you want to tackle it!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 28 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #209

Advanced Member

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 28 2013, 07:32 PM) *

George, I've got Evil's Tranny Rebuild DVD & some of the Tools when you want to tackle it!

No friggin way. Scares the hell out of me. But I'll patiently sit by and watch you show me! I'll get my hands dirty if you instruct me and keep me entertained with stories. And yes I'll bring beer. Is Bud Light Platinum the new favorite now that Southpaw is out?

Forgot. Any chance I could rent some time on the lift? I have a little bit of welding that still needs finished.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 30 2013, 10:30 AM
Post #210

Advanced Member

So, absolutely phenomenal news. After talking with John and Kevin on the phone, I think I've finally figured out what the big stumble was between the idle and main circuit transition! Kevin asked me what the exhaust looked and smelled like. Of course I said sooty and rich. Both he and John had hinted before that it sounded like the car was running way rich. As I always heard it was better to run rich than lean on AC engines, I never tried to really turn the mixture screws down until yesterday. Moral of the story, trust your senses, young padawan. The car transitions very well now, but I believe its still a bit rich as it really pops out the exhaust on decel. I'm trying to find a set of 45 idles to help lean things out and give me a little more room to adjust with the mixture screws... they're almost all the way in now.

While I'm at it though, can anyone take a look at these pics and tell me what you see? The first two are of the transmission mounts, first just hanging and the next with me pushing up on the tail. I see a large gap at the top and obvious movement. I'm really just trying to determine if the mounts are bad or whether I have them installed wrong somehow.

The last pic is of the passenger side trailing arm bushing. I have been getting some real clunks from the right rear of the car when going over bumps, and I think this is a dead giveaway that the bushings are bad - I'm assuming the pivot shaft is moving up and down in the console. Can you confirm this from the picture?

Thanks again everyone!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 30 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #211

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

George, I have the fix for that as well - I have a couple of pairs of WEVO Tranny Mounts in my Tool Box

T.C.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 30 2013, 11:24 AM
Post #212

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

nice TC. i fear an epic failure with the mounts you're running with george. when one of them goes south it won't be in the garage.

btw..."backfiring and snapping out the exhaust pipes during deceleration, follow procedures: 6, 13, and 14". focus on #14. bob is your friend.

k
+Quote Post
914outlaw
post Jan 30 2013, 11:41 AM
Post #213

Dave

Member No.: 11,800
Region Association: North East States

Nice looking car. You did a great job.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jan 30 2013, 12:21 PM
Post #214

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

A bit late but I wanted to add my congrats to the paint job ... sure makes a huge difference, even if there are defects/issues that can't be seen unless close up. I, too, really dig the chrome-less look. Keep it up George! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 30 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #215

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

Great progress, George!

You know you are relevant when you have haters!

I included a set of 45 idles with the 55s I mailed on monday.

I included some 135 main jets as well but they may be too big.

Finding the right combination for your car may come down to choosing the compromise you want. Rich idle but good off the line, or lean idle but harder to get going in first, etc.

John

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 7 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #216

Advanced Member

Small update, but an important one for me. John (FourBlades) sent me some loaner jets which I promptly put to good use this past weekend. First, I switched out the 50 idles for 45s, which initially was not a big help, but I'll explain why in a second. I had both a problem off idle before and when going between gears, full throttle to full throttle. Basically, the car would fall flat on its face. Just to eliminate variables, I replaced my fuel pressure gauge and regulator with good quality units. Drove the car, expecting the stumble to be gone. While the transition was better, I still had big problems going back to heavy/full throttle after shifting. This, to me, indicated that either the carbs were flooding and far too rich when I let off the gas to shift, or way too lean. It ended up being the latter. Going by Bob Tomlinson's Weber Tech Book recommendations for jet size as well as discussions with Paul (URY914), John and Kevin, I began so suspect that the mains were too small. Put in the 135s that John sent me, and I was speechless. The car runs better than my Mustang, which is fuel injected.

The car will run all the way up to 4,500 with plenty of power and transitions off idle much better. The only hesitation I have now I attribute to the crappy 009 dizzy I have on there for the time being while I rebuild my SVDA and what I think is a bent/twisted throttle shaft which is making it hard to get the butterflies to close completely on one carb.

The lesson is, listen to the car and advice from others and think through the problem. The hard part is not getting frustrated, but once you understand how carbs work, especially how each model is designed, the solution will eventually present itself!
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Feb 7 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #217

Member No.: 5,568
Region Association: None

Oh man, just wait until you replace that 009.
You're gonna have serious permagrin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 7 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #218

Racer from Birth

MSD makes a Billit Dizzy that is Great!
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 7 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #219

Advanced Member

Yeah I had the SVDA on there for awhile, but prior to figuring out the carbs. I did like it, but I'm not getting full use out of it yet, as I'm not getting the proper vacuum from the carbs since the butterflies don't close quite right yet. The reason I really switched back to the 009 is when I washed the engine off one day, I must have somehow either got water in the condenser or the centrifugal advance became stuck somehow. It ran like crap and fouled a set of plugs till I switched the dizzy back out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Not sure what happened.

T.C., you sure do know how to feed people's imaginations. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've seen that MSD and the Mallory that Chris carries, but way too rich for my blood for now. Plus its just an old tired 1.7 - no sense in shining up a turd too much! But thanks for keeping my eyes wandering.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Feb 14 2013, 11:22 PM
Post #220

beach bum

Member No.: 14,538
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 24 2013, 05:04 AM) *

I like the chrome-less look! Nice job! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Me too!! thats what i want to do. I have looked through your thread before, you did a great job. Today went to check out that side mirror (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Question for you though regarding the chrome-less look. for the front windshield, what is the black piece sealing the gap of the glass to frame, it doesnt look like the stock chrome piece just painted black....?

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2024 - 07:19 AM