Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College budget restoration, Trudging forward
carr914
post Mar 11 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #221

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

George at work on the underside

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
chads74
post Mar 11 2013, 12:45 PM
Post #222

Member No.: 14,252

... for the front windshield, what is the black piece sealing the gap of the glass to frame, it doesnt look like the stock chrome piece just painted black....?

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
[/quote]

Looks like the chrome replacement from 914rubber. I have it on my car and love it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 11 2013, 01:12 PM
Post #223

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

QUOTE(chads74 @ Mar 11 2013, 02:45 PM) *

... for the front windshield, what is the black piece sealing the gap of the glass to frame, it doesnt look like the stock chrome piece just painted black....?

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Looks like the chrome replacement from 914rubber. I have it on my car and love it.

...Yes that is. Sorry I missed that post before. It is very nice, like everything Mark produces, but it was a bitch to install. And of course I screwed it up. I would suggest ordering it from Mark, but allowing a professional to install it. You know how there are some things that you learn how to do while working on a car that you like and/or are good at? Glass is not mine. Neither is wiring. Or upholstery. Or transmissions.

BTW, thanks to T.C. for giving me some lift time this weekend! And for the picture of my ugly mug, I guess.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 11 2013, 08:51 PM
Post #224

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 11 2013, 08:10 AM) *
George at work on the underside
Attached Image
Nice taco plate and tuna can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 11 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #225

Advanced Member

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 11 2013, 10:51 PM) *

Nice taco plate and tuna can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yep! I bought mine long before the group buy. I'm sure you guys will enjoy them as much as I do!

What about the gaping hole in the tunnel? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 12 2013, 01:58 AM
Post #226

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 11 2013, 07:21 PM) *
What about the gaping hole in the tunnel? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I like it, George. I cut the s#it out of my hand trying to get at stuff in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Are you going to weld it back up, or fab a screw-in/removable plate for future access?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 12 2013, 05:30 AM
Post #227

Advanced Member

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 12 2013, 03:58 AM) *

I like it, George. I cut the s#it out of my hand trying to get at stuff in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Are you going to weld it back up, or fab a screw-in/removable plate for future access?

Yeah, the metal there was completely gone. I had left a little bit there to keep the cables and everything from falling out after I did the rest of the metal work (and mostly I was not willing to weld directly overhead while on my back on jackstands).
What you describe is is precisely what I did on T.C.'s lift though. I cut out the remaining crappy metal and welded in "flanges" around the sides of the center tunnel. Then T.C. and I affixed a 7 inch aluminum strip that runs the length of the tunnel. However it was pretty late when we got that done so I didn't get pics. Will be nice to have access though if I ever need it.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Mar 12 2013, 11:14 AM
Post #228

beach bum

Member No.: 14,538

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 12 2013, 04:30 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 12 2013, 03:58 AM) *

Yeah, the metal there was completely gone. I had left a little bit there to keep the cables and everything from falling out after I did the rest of the metal work (and mostly I was not willing to weld directly overhead while on my back on jackstands).
What you describe is is precisely what I did on T.C.'s lift though. I cut out the remaining crappy metal and welded in "flanges" around the sides of the center tunnel. Then T.C. and I affixed a 7 inch aluminum strip that runs the length of the tunnel. However it was pretty late when we got that done so I didn't get pics. Will be nice to have access though if I ever need it.

When you do get a chance, would love to see pictures of the finished tunnel project, I have always thought this would be helpful if you needed full access in there.

Thanks again for the bushing, it came in the mail last week! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

For the windshield rubber, i did finally find that on marks website, what was hard about the install, any tips.... since i will probably be doing it myself... also, are those 16 little black clips around the window railing only needed for holding the chrome pieces on? or are they also there to center the windshield?

Thanks, keep up the good work!

David
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Apr 19 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #229

Member No.: 14,795

Could you tell me where you got the rubber replacement for the chrome trim on the back rollbar? I dont see it on 914Rubber. Did you fabricate your own?

Thanks

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 19 2013, 11:21 AM
Post #230

Advanced Member

Hey Eric,
The aluminum trim was painted black. I used a product called SEM Trim Black. It can be found at most automotive paint supply stores, and NAPA Paint sometimes carries it. It's a little expensive, but well worth it. It is designed to be painted directly onto aluminum trim (I'd recommend scuffing the aluminum first though), and holds up much better to chips and scratches than the other rattle can varieties.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Apr 19 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #231

Thanks. I was hoping to get out without needing to buy the trim. I am missing mine.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 19 2013, 01:21 PM) *

Hey Eric,
The aluminum trim was painted black. I used a product called SEM Trim Black. It can be found at most automotive paint supply stores, and NAPA Paint sometimes carries it. It's a little expensive, but well worth it. It is designed to be painted directly onto aluminum trim (I'd recommend scuffing the aluminum first though), and holds up much better to chips and scratches than the other rattle can varieties.

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 19 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #232

Advanced Member

There is a parts car down the street from me that I believe still has the rear trim. I will be out of town this weekend with FourBlades at a PCA DE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) , but when I get back I'll check for you. Please remind me as I have a million things going on right now.

I'll see what I can talk the guy who owns it down to. Shouldn't be much.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Apr 19 2013, 12:51 PM
Post #233

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 19 2013, 01:55 PM) *

There is a parts car down the street from me that I believe still has the rear trim. I will be out of town this weekend with FourBlades at a PCA DE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) , but when I get back I'll check for you. Please remind me as I have a million things going on right now.

I'll see what I can talk the guy who owns it down to. Shouldn't be much.

+Quote Post
AZ914
post Apr 19 2013, 01:50 PM
Post #234

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

George,
Love the color! What is it called? Great job BTW.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 19 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #235

Advanced Member

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Apr 19 2013, 03:50 PM) *

George,
Love the color! What is it called? Great job BTW.

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) 2011 Mustang "Grabber" Blue.... it was what I had on hand when I started. I suppose I'm pretty happy with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Apr 19 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #236

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I dig it. A good looking blue, and since you've raced a Mustang it's OK. For now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Apr 19 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #237

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

George is having Problems getting the Car through Tech @ Sebring. I put a call into my friend who is the Tech Chief who is going to help George in the Morning. It's a Tie-Rod/Balljoint Issue

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 21 2013, 05:49 PM
Post #238

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) Yeah, we didn't make it through tech, sadly. I feel like at this point either John or I have replaced or at least inspected just about every component on the car. Unfortunately the only thing I never thought to check was the front suspension. The car always tracked dead straight and never wore out tires, so I just thought I could wait to R&R the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings and steering coupler.

Long story short, John had a hell of a time the past two weeks getting the car ready for our first DE, which included new Corbeau Forza seats, Schroth Belts, a partial cage, rebuilt rear brakes and fixing a pinhole in the gas tank - only to get to Sebring and not pass tech. Essentially, the watchful eye of Carlos, our region's Porsche master mechanic caught some extra play in the front tire while he was checking lug torque. Sure enough, the inner tie rods are shot. A lesser mechanic (like me) would not have picked up on something like that. The funny thing is it had to be pre-teched at an authorized Porsche dealership, and they never even mentioned anything in the front end.

Oh well, we'll try again in May. The best part of my weekend though is I got to work on a couple 911s and do some troubleshooting alongside Carlos (the mechanic). I learned a lot and it was nice to know that I could actually keep up with a master mechanic. T.C., if you ever hang out with him again, I'd like to tag along. He's a cool guy and I enjoyed sponging some of his knowledge!
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 21 2013, 07:16 PM
Post #239

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Will they give you a refund?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Apr 21 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #240

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 21 2013, 07:49 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) Yeah, we didn't make it through tech, sadly. I feel like at this point either John or I have replaced or at least inspected just about every component on the car. Unfortunately the only thing I never thought to check was the front suspension. The car always tracked dead straight and never wore out tires, so I just thought I could wait to R&R the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings and steering coupler.

Long story short, John had a hell of a time the past two weeks getting the car ready for our first DE, which included new Corbeau Forza seats, Schroth Belts, a partial cage, rebuilt rear brakes and fixing a pinhole in the gas tank - only to get to Sebring and not pass tech. Essentially, the watchful eye of Carlos, our region's Porsche master mechanic caught some extra play in the front tire while he was checking lug torque. Sure enough, the inner tie rods are shot. A lesser mechanic (like me) would not have picked up on something like that. The funny thing is it had to be pre-teched at an authorized Porsche dealership, and they never even mentioned anything in the front end.

Oh well, we'll try again in May. The best part of my weekend though is I got to work on a couple 911s and do some troubleshooting alongside Carlos (the mechanic). I learned a lot and it was nice to know that I could actually keep up with a master mechanic. T.C., if you ever hang out with him again, I'd like to tag along. He's a cool guy and I enjoyed sponging some of his knowledge!

Carlos is Super Cool & knows his Porsches (even 914s - he actually grew up wrenching on Bugs). I told you what we can do in the Future. Hopefully I can make it down there in May ( I think it is only 2 or 3 Weeks)
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 05:25 AM