Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 72 914 Corvair Conversion Rust(me)oration- Work begins on page 4, Pulled drivetrain today. Tranny swap coming soon
JRust
post Jul 8 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 8 2013, 11:11 AM) *

Or the fuel pump is from a 911-914-6, pressure just right.

Didn't think of that. I assumed they had a different fuel pump (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Of course I've never had a real 6 to gage it against
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 8 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #62

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

look at the end of it--0580960009
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 8 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #63

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Did you get a spare set of rubber main bearings with it?***

There are a few here who might remember that classic thread.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 8 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Drove it around for a good hour tonight around town. Man was getting some looks. Car kind of looks like crap. Then the occasional backfire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) . MY daughter was even with me. She's a keeper she just laughed along with me. Didn't even try to slink down in her seat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 8 2013, 11:40 PM
Post #65

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 8 2013, 06:55 PM) *

Did you get a spare set of rubber main bearings with it?***

There are a few here who might remember that classic thread.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jul 9 2013, 12:31 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 4,741

It looks to have a remote oil cooler. Where did they put the cooler?

When you get a chance, can you get some pics of the engine mount setup? Or, you know, maybe take some measurements?

-m.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 9 2013, 10:21 AM
Post #67

914 Guru

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jul 8 2013, 11:31 PM) *

It looks to have a remote oil cooler. Where did they put the cooler?

When you get a chance, can you get some pics of the engine mount setup? Or, you know, maybe take some measurements?

-m.

I'll get measurments. They just used the stock early motor mount bar. Looks like they just retrofitted the side bolts a little wider than stock. Then welded on the tab for the front of the motor. It's effective enough but I'll be doing something a little nicer.

I also am going to swap out the tailshifter. I've got a nice sideshift with a cable shift setup (Thanks to Mike Bellis). I was going to put that on my LS1 but think I'll use it on this instead. Was planning to do a Boxter tranny at some point for my LS1 anyway.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 9 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #68

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 9 2013, 09:21 AM) *

I'll get measurements. They just used the stock early motor mount bar. Looks like they just retrofitted the side bolts a little wider than stock. Then welded on the tab for the front of the motor. It's effective enough but I'll be doing something a little nicer.

I also am going to swap out the tailshifter. I've got a nice sideshift with a cable shift setup (Thanks to Mike Bellis). I was going to put that on my LS1 but think I'll use it on this instead. Was planning to do a Boxter tranny at some point for my LS1 anyway.

I'll give you a great deal on an Audi 5 speed too!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 10 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #69

914 Guru

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 9 2013, 05:44 PM) *

Yeah those short gears would work great for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . I'll be keeping my eye's open for a nice 6 speed. I'm in no rush though. I'm going to concentrate on this 914 for a while. Then work on painting my LS1 car. Not going to do anything more on the LS1 conversion until I finish this car.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 13 2013, 01:52 AM
Post #70

914 Guru

Excited to start work on my 914 later today. My push for RRC is officially on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 13 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #71

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 10 2013, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 9 2013, 05:44 PM) *

Yeah those short gears would work great for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . I'll be keeping my eye's open for a nice 6 speed. I'm in no rush though. I'm going to concentrate on this 914 for a while. Then work on painting my LS1 car. Not going to do anything more on the LS1 conversion until I finish this car.

It's a matter of HP & Torque... The gearing is too low for my 350hp turbo engine. It would be great for a 100-150 hp engine. It would not work well for your LS1 conversion. Here are the specs, not sure how this compares to a 901...

EZG- Final/ 3.7
ratio/ overall
1/ 3.778/ 13.98
2/ 2.16/ 7.99
3/ 1.429/ 5.29
4/ 1.029/ 3.81
5/ 0.838/ 3.10
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 13 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #72

914 Guru

I managed to get some work done today. Started by making room in the shop for my cars. That took about 2 hours as it was a mess from my move. Just threw alot in there as I was pressed for time.

Next I brought in the black 75 that has the nice 5-lug setup on it. Got it up on the lift & pulled the complete suspension front & back. Yes it is on 4 jackstands that are sitting on harbor freight dollies. I would never crawl under it like it is. It is solid but space is tight & I needed to push it over to make room for the blue 914. Plus it made it easier to slide my scissor lift out from under it. Added a few pics of the reason the black car is a Donor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Next the Blue car went up on the lift. Pulls the rear suspension. Managed to screw up one shock int he trunk. Couldn't break that nut free & made the mistake of using vise grips on the very top to hold it in place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Oh well they were well used shocks anyway. Ended up cutting the sucker off. Got the rear trailing arms on & realized I didn't have new CV joint Gaskets. So I've got a couple things to get order from Pelican.

Overall a solid day but I am tired & called it quits. Absolutely great to spend a day working on my car. Been months since I have done any wrenching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 13 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #73

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A stock 901 will do nice for your engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 13 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #74

914 Guru

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 13 2013, 08:04 PM) *

A stock 901 will do nice for your engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'm putting in Mike's Cable shift 901. Basically stock besides a nice "H" gear for 5th (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 14 2013, 02:08 AM
Post #75

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Are you saying you trashed a perfectly good KYB? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

For shame!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 19 2013, 10:12 AM
Post #76

914 Guru

Got both rear trailing arms with the 5lug setup installed now. I'll be installing SS Brake lines tomorrow. I also plan to get the front suspension installed. Just got my new front Rotors from PMB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) . Just waiting on the pads but nothing that will keep me front getting it on my car.

I also just picked up some Metal GT flares from Brett. Not sure if I am going to rush & get those on. Once the suspension is complete & it rolls again. I'll be pulling the drivetrain. I'm missing most the engine tin. I'm looking for a complete set of tin. I know I'll be customizing all of it for the engine bay. Not a huge deal there but be easier to do right with a stock set there.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 23 2013, 02:24 PM
Post #77

914 Guru

I installed the front suspension. Replaced the passenger side rotor & repacked the bearings. Just need to change out the brake pads which weren't even that worn. Good to have it all fresh though. Was hoping to get to the drivers side tonight. Not gonna happen though. Oh well looks like saturday I'll finish it up. Bleed the brakes & take it for a spin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 3 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #78

914 Guru

Okay so the while I was in there bug is kicking in. During the 5lug swap I decided to get some new front rotors. Which had me order new pads. After installing the rotors & going to do the pads. My calipers looked like they needed a rebuild. So they are packed & will be on there way to PMB on monday. Luckily he has some cores allready so mine will also shipping to me on monday. Along with some speed bleeders for all 4 corners ( i love those things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) ). My original plan was to get the supension done & on the road. Then tackle a few other things. That has changed too

Pulling my CV's to repack both ends. Next is the tranny coming out for it's replacement 901 with a cableshift & an "h" gear for 5th (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . My headers are coming off for some work. Had an exhaust leak causing a backfire. Which they are so tight to my engine bar I can't just pull them off. I'll need to actually drop the motor to get them off. Well I may as well. I could just pop the motor off the mount an inch to get them. At that point it's easier to just drop the whole thing. Which leads me to cleaning up the motor & checking for leaks. along with customizing some engine tin. With only a month to go until RRC I am pushing things a bit. What else is new. Wouldn't be to bad if I didn't just have saturdays to get things done.

I also want to add some type of remote oil cooler. I'm a little worried about the heat on the trip. I'd feel a little better with a bigger oil cooler.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 13 2013, 08:01 AM
Post #79

914 Guru

Okay made a little progress. Well sort of. Took a few steps back to do it. Ordered turbo tie rods from PMB along with getting my front calipers rebuilt. Got both of those in the mail before the weekend. I took my son up to Seattle for a much needed father son trip. So the teener didn't get any work done over the weekend. Got into it last night a bit though.

Pulled the front suspension off again. My old tie rods didn't want to come off. To tight of space in there with the suspension on. Since I hadn't hooked up the brakes yet. Easy enough to just drop it. So I did just that. Swapped out the Tie rods. Then pulled my Master Cylinder. I'll be replacing it with a 19mm one. As soon as I find the damn thing in my stash (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Hopefully that will be tonight. Then the suspension will go back on. After that my beautiful rebuilt PMB calipers will go on. Then I can bleed the brakes & call the suspension good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 17 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #80

914 Guru

Made some progress today. Huge thanks to Marcus for coming down today & helping. I owe you bud (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . We swapped out my Master cylinder for a 19mm one. Reinstalled the front suspension. Installed my newly restored PMB brake calipers. I'd already replaced my front rotors. So my front end had a nice upgrade. Not only with the nice 5lug SC front end. But the new rotor's, Porterfield pads, Turbo tie rods & the restored calipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . I also put on my new speed bleeders. Then spent a while bleeding the brake system.

With that done I am on to pulling the drivetrain. I've got a few gaskets to replace. Then swapping the old tailshift for a newer sideshift converted to cableshift. The drivetrain will be coming out this week sometime.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 07:31 AM