Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My cut-less conversion, My new rotary build attempt but with NO body cutting.
Mike Bellis
post Oct 24 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #21

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Just remember, when a rotary overheats... It's over... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 24 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #22

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I was just thinking that a rotary probably wouldnt be the best to test this with. A subaru might though..

+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 24 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I hope it works for you Robert. I worry about it being able to cool a rotary but you know a hell of alot more about the motor than me. I do want to see a radiator work in the engine compartment. I still think running dual boxter radiators on the sides in front of the wheels. With an intake on the side is worth trying. I will be doing it at some point. I think it is best suited for a normally aspirated suby motor though. I wish you the best with it & hope it works.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 24 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #24

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 24 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #25

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

My $.01 opinion is the natural airflow debate is pointless because it is not a high velocity flow like the front of the car. The factory fan was able to pull plenty of air downward. Without tin, even if the natural flow is upward, it's not high speed / high pressure. It is the fans that are going to need to force the air through the radiators at sufficient speed. Good fans and good shrouding will be critical. If they pull it upwards from the bottom, they are pulling hot air. If the pull it downward from the top, it's cool air. I doubt the natural free flow direction is enough to affect temps as much as the temperature of the air being pulled by the fans.

The cool thing here is Rotary'14 is taking this on for real. It's fun speculating, but I'm anxious to hear the actual results. I'm just worried about the engine during testing, since rotaries make TONS of heat and don't take kindly to overheating. Careful! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 24 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #26

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Jeff's tuft testing photo there matches the pics I've seen or 914 race car tuft testing. The air actually goes forward along the rear deck lid and into the engine bay.

--DD
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Oct 24 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,977

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 24 2011, 04:22 PM) *

Jeff's tuft testing photo there matches the pics I've seen or 914 race car tuft testing. The air actually goes forward along the rear deck lid and into the engine bay.

--DD

OK,, I can rig the fan to blow in. I like that better anyways. Thanks everyone for the discussion.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

-Robert
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 24 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #28

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Oct 24 2011, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 24 2011, 04:22 PM) *

--DD

OK,, I can rig the fan to blow in. I like that better anyways. Thanks everyone for the discussion.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

-Robert

Those fans will work best pulling air not pushing. It's like trying to push a rope; don't work to well. Put the fans on the bottom if you intend to pull air down. In fact, if you have room to lower the rad, you can fit the engine cover back on. Even if it is just pinned on.

Wishing you the best of luck! Keep posting pictures! I love this thread!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 24 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #29

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
flip the fans and put a GT lid over the radiator. Adds a little protection to the radiator, and since the GT is double grill material it will not block airflow.

Helps keep your 914 looking like a 914 too.

Zach
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Oct 24 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 11,663

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 24 2011, 08:01 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
flip the fans and put a GT lid over the radiator. Adds a little protection to the radiator, and since the GT is double grill material it will not block airflow.

Helps keep your 914 looking like a 914 too.

Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) on the GT lid.

+1 for the puller fans with a good shroud as well. I'll bet it ends up working just fine. The conversion sounds awesome and I am now subscribed.

Good to have a 914 brother in LA. What part of the city are you in?
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Oct 25 2011, 06:46 AM
Post #31

A GT style lid has always been in the plans, weather I can build one or not is another story. I will be following "kg6dxn" suggestion, and will be moving the fans to the bottom of the radiator. Then actually I might fit the stock lid modified like a GT. I am trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.

-Robert
+Quote Post
Rod
post Oct 25 2011, 06:56 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

I think you need to look underneath the car to get enough cooling power... Have the fans blowing down as there is deffo a low pressure zone above teh engine lid, but I think you'll have most success by putting a plastic strip along the bottom of the car in front of the engine bay cutout - This will create a high pressure area under the car (Like the original two small flaps) and with teh low pressure above and the high pressure below you'll create a suck through.

If you can I'd arrange the fans to blow up when stationary and at low crawling speeds and then reverse to blow down when you're going over say 30kph..

But I really do think that most engine bay cooling solutions have failed because of the lack of a high pressure point below the engine bay - and it's easy to achieve..
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Oct 1 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #33

Here's a long overdue update on the cut-less conversion. I have mounted and wired pretty much 90%. Fuel injectors are mounted and my engine bay fuel lines ran.
My fuel lines are mounted and my fuel tank is POR-15ed and ready to go,,,,, but Dirk Write has a hold of me and I want to fix my fresh air blower "since I'm there". I have sat on this long enough for my foosball addiction (from a previous life) to side track me and derail me getting my car drive able to the great G&R this year,,,, BUMMER!!

I some how plan to wire up an "external" fuel source and try to fire up the ole girl. There's water in my coolant hoses,, and a mysterious loss of water to go with it,,,,, but nothing external that I can see,, and it's really slow so It might be thru my engine (because it's been sitting sooo long). I hope to fire her up and heat cycle it a bit and see if the leak goes away.

I need to find a machinist who can make a throttle arm for me,, I need a .25" X 2.5" 1/8"thick piece of steal shaped into a throttle arm with a "D" shaped hole on one end,,any suggestions in So. Cal.?

I will post some pics soon as they are on my phone,,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Oct 1 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #34

Engine bay fuel lines,,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Oct 1 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #35

Engine side,,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Oct 1 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #36

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Oct 25 2011, 05:46 AM) *

A GT style lid has always been in the plans, weather I can build one or not is another story. I will be following "kg6dxn" suggestion, and will be moving the fans to the bottom of the radiator. Then actually I might fit the stock lid modified like a GT. I am trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.

-Robert

I have a stack of lids if you need one close to make a GT lid from. When I had a life, previous to going back to grad school, I made about 25 of them. I'll be glad to help you if you want.
Mark
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Oct 1 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #37

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

If you are loosing water make sure you pull the plugs and turn the motor over before you try to start it! Just in case it is leaking from the head into the cylinders!!
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post May 18 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #38

I have made my own GT style lid from two chrome grills. It's held down with quick-latches. I think it looks OK for now. until I clean up my cooling system a bit, speaking of which,,,
I've driven her on 100 degree days now, still no overheats. I was a bit low on water too. On normal days my car is a cool running cat. I want to sort my suspension, but I don't know where to begin. I had a fellow teener hop behind the wheel of my car for an evaluation run. John was pretty impressed, despite the fact that he wasn't used to my gear box and couldn't find 1st. When the test drive was over,, I suggested that he pull on the ebrake lever with some force,,, only one side is currently working. Pop! went the cable inside the cabin. bummer,, oh well I have a wtb add up.

anybody local want a ride? I have the FI 95% done and she feels pretty good! I'm thinking about adding heat now,,,,

-Robert

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Jun 3 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 15,718

Nice work!!
Thanks for updating.
+Quote Post
mikesmith
post Jun 3 2014, 04:35 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 16,354

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ May 18 2014, 05:52 PM) *

I have made my own GT style lid from two chrome grills. It's held down with quick-latches. I think it looks OK for now.

I'd love to see more details of your latch setup...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 09:07 PM