Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nickies?, Are these the real deal or just a cheap knock off?
JPB
post Jul 22 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #1

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,107

Has anyone got these? Sounds to good to be true. I sure can use these shugaboogas! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-P...141224128QQrdZ1
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hydroliftin
post Jul 22 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,180
Region Association: Northern California

Well, they are not the LN Engineering ones. Maybe produced in China? Here is there web site, but no information on where they get these things.

http://qscusa.com/

+Quote Post
swl
post Jul 22 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

I know absolutely nothing about nickies but every now and then cynicism gets the better of me.

That website doesn't feel right.

A yahoo email address?

Is it just me or does that building look like the qsc sign has been photoshopped on?
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 22 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Acute and intuitive observation which is well noted. How's about that ebay deal? Are they looking for business by EVIL means? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jul 22 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

He has one negative feedback, the buyer says- junk made in china, the seller's response is- All parts Made in China, if U don't like, why no ask?return?r u competitor game?
So yeah, I think it's chinese stuff.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 22 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #6

I see what is going on, am I noticing some antichinatite attitudes here? Is everything from China crap or does not your Made in Taiwan BBQ thongs or flip flops or stainless cookware or Ginsu or electronis doohiky...... work as well as mine? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
brer
post Jul 22 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

I put a bore guage on a set of 98mm Nikasil chinese and it was dead dead nutz round. Cant say more than that, though I spied what looked like a little chip in the plating at the very top edge of the cylinder. very tiny though.

I would buy if I wanted to go big.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 22 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

domain lookup info has been hidden, the whois record is set to private ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy

PS: and yes, that logo *is* photoshopped ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 22 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

i just looked up the address on google earth and for what it's worth, the commercial building pictured on their website is in fact the building at the address listed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
brer
post Jul 22 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

I have the cast iron 96's for my car.
I'll let you know how they turn out.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jul 22 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #11

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

I am trying a set 0f 104's that I bought from Fat Performance with JE pistons that I am ready to install when I solve my throttle linkage problems, Jervery T/B and Raby DTM and his new linkage. they checked out with very close tolerances. they are cast and not billits like LNeng.

Bernie
+Quote Post
swl
post Jul 23 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 22 2007, 12:43 PM) *

am I noticing some antichinatite attitudes here?

We're not supposed to get political here so I will refrain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 23 2007, 07:57 AM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

"Nickies" is a registered trademark of LN Engineering.

There is only one set of "Nickies" and you won't find them at that price, for good reason.

everything else is a knockoff with little to no real development in it's composition.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 23 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #14

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

aren't the OEM six cylinders cast aluminum? I know the Nickies are awesome....
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 23 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #15

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

huh...no telling who the seller is. concealing a bunch of biz info is worrysome with the inventory show elsewhere in the ad. who lives in elmonte? go talk to the seller and look at the item being sold. if it's a tall, big, balding, rotund guy, run like crazy. you search expert guys should look for a biz license/tax # in that co's name.

k
+Quote Post
derekdenman
post Jul 23 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,852

These are not "Nickies." Nikasil is a plating that goes in the cylender. This is generally used for aluminum cylinders with aluminum pistons. The quiality of nikasil can very greatly. Nikasil shops in california have to deal with alot of government restrictions so the quailty is not as good. I am not sure what the restricitons are like in China so I havn't a clue if those paticular cylinders are any good or not.

What makes "Nickies" so special? I see people are saying they are awsome and well worth the $2000+.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 23 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #17

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Nickies are billet aluminum. The biggest difference is that LN Engineering has actually done product development, testing, and can tell you what pistons and rings to use as well as what ring gaps work. They know what works. And they come with a lifetime warranty.

So if you go the Chinese route with cylinders for $750. You then buy some JE pistons and rings for $500. You guess on the ring gap and expansion. You hope the quality of the plating and tolerances are good. At best you are saving $1300 over nickies. Is it worth the risk on a $6000 engine?

The quality of Chinese iron cylinders has been up and down. What will the quality of these be like? It would be a much better situation if a company in the US was supporting, testing, and doing development with the product. It would actually be nice if there was a middle ground between steel and nickies.

+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Jul 23 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #18

Cylinder Guru

Member No.: 49

These are the same ones that Steve Stromberg was pushing that long while ago. Basically, they can't get shops to sell them, so they are now selling them straight to customer, undercutting their dealers, for less money. That aside, sure it's nikasil, sure it's aluminum. What kind of aluminum? At least with Nickies you get a lifetime warranty on the plating right from the platers on Nickies. What if you have a problem, do you think you are going to get the support? You get what you pay for.

As far as the pricing, in the real world you have to give dealers incentive to sell the nickies, so you have to factor in a reasonable %. Without that, you don't have shops willing to try and use your product or to resell it. That said, 90% of my business is to dealers, so having a structured price tier between retail and wholesale is only fair.

And there have been problems with QSC that you don't hear of, i've supplied Nickies to replace broken chinese ones.
+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Jul 23 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #19

Cylinder Guru

Member No.: 49

If aluminum was aluminum, I wouldn't be replacing guy's mahle cylinders with Nickies on their 911s either. Metallurgy and manufacturing among other things make the difference.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 23 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #20

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Charles and I have tried on many occasions to come up with a solution for a middle ground between Nickies and cast iron cylinders.

Fact is anything we would develop that would be effective would end up costing similar to the price of Nickies.

I have used more Nickies than anyone in the world, including the second set of TIV cylinders ever made as well as the very first set of TI cylinders and the very first set of Pinzgauer Nickies. we have spent hours and days testing expansion rates, materials, ring gaps, running clearances and wear. Call the MFR of the Chinese cylinders and ask for ANY comparative data and see what they tell you.

Nickies allow us to do things that would be otherwise impossible and that is worth more to TIV engine development than anything else on planet earth to us.

Try running less than one thousandth of piston/cylinder clearance and as little as .003 ring end gap with any other cylinder successfully, furthermore try running an engine at 7,000 RPM off and on for hours at a time and never have it put a drop of oil into the breather box with any other cylinder. its not happening- period.

All my mega builds get Nickies, if the price doubled on them tomorrow you would still be getting your money's worth.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 06:01 AM