Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> British 75 Rustoration, Bringing my 75 back from the dead Progress 22-8-11
veltror
post Sep 17 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,978
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Well progress has slowed to a crawl. marek, is working on my car when he has time and sadly he has not had too much of that lately although I do hope to have some preogress soon. I have been busy trying to locate parts etc and clean up and restore the bits that are off the car. As soon as any more pictures are ready i will post them here, I have not given up....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Sep 17 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #102

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Of course, you can't give up, cause rust never sleeps. I understand why your guy has to step away from your car every once in a while. He probably has nightmares everynight that he works on it.

T.C.
+Quote Post
Archie
post Sep 23 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 10,844
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Didn't know there were any 914s in the UK! Impressive!

All the best, expat in Vancouver
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Sep 24 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #104

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

You are one brave and dedicated person! Those pictures make a grown man cry! I an surprized the car survived the trip across the pond without breaking in 2. That is why I searched for a California car and it still had rust in the battery tray area and both sides of the engine shelf. You deserve a medal!
+Quote Post
veltror
post Sep 24 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #105

The carws good when I shipped it over, I drove it everyday for 10 years in snow, rain whatever.
+Quote Post
BMiller
post Oct 10 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #106

Member No.: 10,904

WOW! This is an amazing salvage job! I look forward to more pics when the work picks back up..........bookmarked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Oct 10 2009, 07:41 AM
Post #107

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573

...greetings from across the pond.
I must say, that viewing your dedication [to this] is, as they say on this website, a disease. To others not acquainted to the 914, they may feel it is an affliction that is akin to stacking BBs; polishing turds; swimming upstream; pissing against the wind; and/or licking the shit off of a rusty razor blade.
After observing your struggle, I cannot, under any circumstances, bitch, moan or groan about anything I may come across, during my restoration.
You have shown that perseverance, through the direst of situations, will be rewarded. Your 914 will be more meaningful to you and to us as a group, than any other on the road, no matter how perfect.
Your struggle has become our struggle. You have given validation to those that question their choice, and hope to those sitting on the parapet of their restorations with fear of the task ahead.
You have accomplished much more than bringing a car back to life, and we all thank you for that intangible spark that renews us and pushes us forward.
Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post Nov 7 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #108

Hopefully work will now restart, which would be good, anyway the rear inner and outer firewalls are being done now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
veltror
post Nov 21 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #109

Now the other side, note the rotten front steering rack mount also. Still hoping to have a floor in soon.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Dec 8 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #110

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

Veltror, how is your front trunk? I was looking at mine and the front control arm pad is just sitting there with some rusted metal around it. If your's is the same could you show how Marek addresses this as well. There doesn't seem to be any threads that shows how this is repaired. Jeff Hail touches on it, but he has something to weld to. Al.
+Quote Post
veltror
post Dec 8 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #111

It's not so bad minor hole on one side, not sure when he is going to get round to it but i will let you know.

Roman
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Dec 8 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980

Great project to follow and good luck with its completion. Curious what you have planned for rust prevention ?
+Quote Post
veltror
post Dec 8 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #113

Rust prevention, well POR-15 where I can and then all the box sections will be sprayed with Dinitrol

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?cat...SubCat=Dinitrol

unless anyone can suggest anything else...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 8 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #114

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

Don't do the POR-15, it doesn't work as advertised, i'm afraid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Their Metal Ready or Ospho will work OK in converting any surface rust.

The wax for sealing the hollow spaces is a good idea.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
veltror
post Mar 31 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #115

Right, I expect that there will be some more updates soon. In the meantime I have started cleaning and putting together some of the parts I have been collecting over the last year or so. Firstly I got these A arms cheaply which have been cleaned and zinced, I plan to powder coat these, I assume they are all the same? I plan to put in my Koni 911 struts into these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Secondly I started cleaning my headlight motors and assorted gubbins I noticed that one operating arm is steel the other white plastic which one is correct?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 31 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #116

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 31 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Secondly I started cleaning my headlight motors and assorted gubbins I noticed that one operating arm is steel the other white plastic which one is correct?

Steel = Early model car (up to '74)
Plastic = Late model car ('75/'76)

As for the A-Arms, make sure they are not bend. Post a pic of the underside of the hole where the strut will mount ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
veltror
post Mar 31 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #117

Right thanks for that Andy i'll go take a picture in a moment.

I also derusted the A trims, everything on this car is rotten. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Mar 31 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #118

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Paint is good. Zinc chromate is nice, it has zinc in the paint to act as a sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion. Use aircraft grade. Be careful welding over it, the zinc fumes can be dangerous.

My other paint favorite is a self etching primer paint called Dupont Variprime (516S or 615S ???) . It's a 2 part catalyzed paint, sticks great (acid etch), is waterproof so it can sit in the rain, and catalyzes into a nice hard scratch resistant surface.

On top of the Variprime, add regular auto paint on areas that can be sprayed, and add the Dinitrol cavity wax to inside panels that can't receive a color coat, or Dinitrol over the auto paint. One of the Brit car magazines did a test on paints and coatings, and that Dinitrol yellow cavity wax was best. Even stopped rust on the other side of the test panel. I need to find that magazine and the Dinotrol number.

The nice thing with the cavity wax is it forms a hard surface film with a soft underlayer. Scratch the surface film, and the underlayer oozes to heal the scratch.

Right now I'm using the Variprime, and want to get some Dinitrol to put over it.
+Quote Post
veltror
post Mar 31 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #119

The A arms do not look bent, what do you think Andy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
veltror
post May 5 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #120

I am getting pissed off now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) . Progress has been very slow on the body side of things although I am being promised some good work shortly. Hopefully that will mean floors and replaced throttle tube (don't ask). So despite not being able to walk very much due to ankle problems I thought I had better start doing something with all of the other parts.

So I am currently redoing the dashboard since it is rusty what a surprise, I thought I would start on the suspension. I have some nice sandblasted Koni struts and got some 8641-1039 inserts like Richard has but Jason at Paragon tells me that they won't fit since there were two types. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) So it looks like I am going to have to get rid of these to fund some others.

Now I also find that using 914-6 rear discs on my 5-stud conversion requires some lathe work to turn down the discs a few mm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) this si getting me mad, one of the ideas of this project is to have as much bolt in stuff as possible so in the future my son will be able to have my car and not have to remember that there are lots of special bits. All we need now is the Labour party to win the election tomorrow and remain in power.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

You can see where the insert necks down two low, what struts will these bloody inserts fit ? So I can describe them to somebody who wants them.

I feel as if (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
24 User(s) are reading this topic (24 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 03:57 AM