Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front Caliper clearance question 3.5" spacing 5 Lug, Wilwood Superlite's
Andyrew
post Jul 15 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 15 2015, 07:02 PM) *

OK, Here's my Wilwood conversion & I love it.

Initial installation was with Stoptech rotors & I used washers to center the caliper, worked fine.

Check out the difference in the pad sizes vs. "A" calipers--massive!

However, with those rotors I found that the Wilwoods pads don't sweep the entire disc, leaving about 1/2 inch around the inside next to the hub. They developed radial cracks immediately from the uneven thermal stress leaving me a bit uncomfortable about staying with those stock dimension rotors.

So...Installed Wilwood's rotors using the hat sold by Rebel Racing & fabricated a 3/8 inch aluminum bracket to center the pads on the rotor disc radially and axially. Saved a bit more weight and better yet, the replacement rotors are like $30 from Summit Racing--can't beat that.
BTW, Here's my Porterfield R4 pads after 3 DE events totalling about 700 miles on track and maybe another 300 miles street driving. The outers have worn more than the inners and when they're pulled there's a noticeable fromt to back taper. Doesn't affect the braking at all--frankly, I'm still overbraking nearly everywhere--just breathing on these monsters takes a lot of momentum out of a 2000 pound car!

Be careful about jumping on 6 piston units that you size everything properly front to rear and to suit the ratio with the M/C....My setup is using Wilwood 120-11131 with 1.62 inch pistons to go with "M" calipers on the rear and 23mm M/C. High hard pedal & could probably work better with 19mm M/C....ymmv.

Impressive! Did you have the adapters CNC'ed or how exactly did you make the rotor adapters? Very very trick setup!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 16 2015, 04:25 AM
Post #22

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I will now agree with Mike, started as a small idea, thanks to Scott, grew with the beginning of the thread, and now has been driven deep into center field by John's impressive installation.

Sometimes I wonder why I get onto this forum, time to earmark funds in the budget!
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 16 2015, 05:58 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I made the caliper adapters by old school measuring twice, cutting once & drilling with my lame old bench top drill press. Should really do a slicker job some day.
The rotor "hats" that mount the rotors to the hubs came from Rebel Racing & hardened bolts & stamped lock nuts from McmasterCarr. Bought a box of 100 each since they are single use in my book.
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Jul 16 2015, 07:15 AM
Post #24

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Wndsrfr,

Beautiful set-up those Wilwood's look extremely serious!!

Nice work with the rotors!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2024 - 03:42 PM