Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do you know where my father's car ended up?, The tale of a lost 914/6 GT
samuelpena22
post Aug 8 2023, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,513
Region Association: South America

Hey there, everyone. Hope you're doing well.
I literally just registered to be able to post this, so I hope something good comes out of it.

The following are the only pictures I have of my father's 914/6, of which I don't have a VIN number or any information regarding its whereabouts since he sold it in the late 70s (around Houston).

I'm not particularly close to my dad anymore, and I don't intend to ask him about it, but I do remember him telling me that his 914/6 had probably been the rarest car he'd come to own, because, according to him, it was an original GT.

He raced it regularly on a number of tracks around the US, specially in Laguna Seca (seen in photo no. 1), and sold it after some short years of ownership seeking funds to cover new business opportunities.

I don't know what happened to the car, who bought it, if it remains covered in dust in a farm somewhere or if it really was a museum-worthy piece.

I'd appreciate any info on where it ended up or if there is any certainty that it was, in fact, an original GT. Happy to hear your thoughts on this one!

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 8 2023, 09:58 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

The VIN number will be important to try and track it down.
Or, his racing buddies
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Aug 8 2023, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

Did you have a sister? And was your dad into judo?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Aug 9 2023, 07:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image

Hi, just a couple things I can see are no fuel cap access thru the hood, no hood pins, I do not see a role bar and the interiors were spartan on the GTs. I can see high back seats and standard seatbelts, something I would not expect to see in a GT. Maybe it was an m471 equipped 914-6.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Aug 9 2023, 08:35 AM
Post #5

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I hope you can find your car... but a word of advice: manage expectations.

I searched and found my very first 914 after about 25 years. It had been neglected and was in terrible shape. The pictures were kind of heartbreaking for me because I had lots of cool memories in that car. I regret selling it to buy a 944. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 9 2023, 08:46 AM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 9 2023, 06:56 AM) *
Hi, just a couple things I can see are no fuel cap access thru the hood, no hood pins, I do not see a role bar and the interiors were spartan on the GTs. I can see high back seats and standard seatbelts, something I would not expect to see in a GT. Maybe it was an m471 equipped 914-6.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
At first glance, it doesn't look like a real GT. The 916 front bumper also doesn't look like the real deal, although it looks much better than most newer reproductions.

Anyways, i hope you get some more info on the car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Aug 9 2023, 09:10 AM
Post #7

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875
Region Association: South East States

Good luck with your search, although you could simplify the task by just asking your dad.

It's clearly not a GT, and from the two pics you provide, was more likely tracked at DE's, not raced. Looks like a nice street car sporting a repop 916 front bumper. BTW, that first image is most definitely NOT Laguna Seca... betting it's Texas Speedway.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 9 2023, 10:10 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

it is certainly not a GT and has aftermarket front bumper and rocker panels on it and may even have fiberglass flares.

Will be impossible to track down without the original id number, I would suggest calling your Dad and having a heart to heart with him and go from there

QUOTE(samuelpena22 @ Aug 8 2023, 08:56 PM) *

I literally just registered to be able to post this, so I hope something good comes out of it.

The following are the only pictures I have of my father's 914/6, of which I don't have a VIN number or any information regarding its whereabouts since he sold it in the late 70s (around Houston).

I'm not particularly close to my dad anymore, and I don't intend to ask him about it, but I do remember him telling me that his 914/6 had probably been the rarest car he'd come to own, because, according to him, it was an original GT.

He raced it regularly on a number of tracks around the US, specially in Laguna Seca (seen in photo no. 1), and sold it after some short years of ownership seeking funds to cover new business opportunities.

I don't know what happened to the car, who bought it, if it remains covered in dust in a farm somewhere or if it really was a museum-worthy piece.

I'd appreciate any info on where it ended up or if there is any certainty that it was, in fact, an original GT. Happy to hear your thoughts on this one!
+Quote Post
mate914
post Aug 9 2023, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

Agreed.
Matt.
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 9 2023, 12:10 PM) *

it is certainly not a GT and has aftermarket front bumper and rocker panels on it and may even have fiberglass flares.

Will be impossible to track down without the original id number, I would suggest calling your Dad and having a heart to heart with him and go from there

QUOTE(samuelpena22 @ Aug 8 2023, 08:56 PM) *

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 9 2023, 10:23 AM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

This is one resource, perhaps of limited value to you.

http://www.stazak.com/914/gt/car/car.html
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Aug 9 2023, 11:09 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Don't know anything about your situation and they are all different. However, after ghosting my dad for years and then him passing away, and now me having children, I would be crushed if they did that to me. Be brave, take take the high road and at least ask for a VIN.. Good luck.
+Quote Post
tpines
post Aug 9 2023, 07:38 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,745
Region Association: Southern California

I don't know your situation with your Dad but my hope is you'll ask him and you guys can grow closer. We never know how much time left we have with our parents and we should show them all our love while we can.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Aug 9 2023, 11:24 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 26,011

QUOTE(samuelpena22 @ Aug 8 2023, 11:56 PM) *

Attached Image

That photo is Texas World Speedway in College Station, TX… north of Houston. I know that track like I know my living room. But it too is gone. Turned into a housing development.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th October 2024 - 05:19 AM