Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 Incompatable With Chassis Dyno?, I can't find a chassis dyno for my 914-6
RogerPihlaja
post Jul 11 2024, 02:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi All,

For the past 4+ years, I've been doing a restomod on my 1970 914-6.  The stock engine has been swapped out for a 3.0 liter 911 SC engine with a cam, Billy Boat SS headers with heat, SS sport muffler, and a modern engine management system from Clewett Engineering.  Naturally, I'd like to know how much bhp this beast makes.  I was recently informed the car could not be hooked up to a chassis dynomometer.  There is supposedly no safe way to anchor the car on the dyno?  The car has not been lowered and it's running on factory optional Mahle 5-1/2 X 15 gas burner wheels with Pirelli P6000 195 VR65 X 15 tires.  Have you ever heard of this issue?  Are you aware of any dyno shops in the midwest that could do a few dyno pulls on my car?

Roger Pihlaja
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jul 11 2024, 03:06 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

QUOTE(RogerPihlaja @ Jul 11 2024, 04:44 PM) *

Hi All,

For the past 4+ years, I've been doing a restomod on my 1970 914-6.  The stock engine has been swapped out for a 3.0 liter 911 SC engine with a cam, Billy Boat SS headers with heat, SS sport muffler, and a modern engine management system from Clewett Engineering.  Naturally, I'd like to know how much bhp this beast makes.  I was recently informed the car could not be hooked up to a chassis dynomometer.  There is supposedly no safe way to anchor the car on the dyno?  The car has not been lowered and it's running on factory optional Mahle 5-1/2 X 15 gas burner wheels with Pirelli P6000 195 VR65 X 15 tires.  Have you ever heard of this issue?  Are you aware of any dyno shops in the midwest that could do a few dyno pulls on my car?

Roger Pihlaja

Yeah that sounds like an excuse based on lack of knowledge to me. Not sure of dynos out your way but they can anchor the front wheels or the control arms in the front, and depending on type they either remove the rear wheels and mount to machine via the hubs or find a way to.anchor in the rear. Here is mine on a dyno

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jul 11 2024, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Another angle

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 11 2024, 03:44 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've dyno'd both of my -6 motors over the years in a lowered 914/6
and have been on the dyno about 8-10 times....

you probably just need a better shop.
mine could do it but in colorado... so must be another shop where you are.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 11 2024, 04:21 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Bill,
Those are both at the same angle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 11 2024, 04:25 PM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

If your dyno operator can't figure out how to strap your car down and run it on the rollers, you need to find another shop. One having experience with air cooled cars would be preferable.
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Jul 11 2024, 10:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,392

I have dynoed mine multiple times on a DynoJet. Hub dyno like mustang or others should be a option as well. As others have said I would look at other dyno facilities.

john
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jul 11 2024, 10:39 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jul 11 2024, 06:21 PM) *

Bill,
Those are both at the same angle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 11 2024, 10:47 PM
Post #9

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jul 11 2024, 03:25 PM) *

If your dyno operator can't figure out how to strap your car down and run it on the rollers, you need to find another shop. One having experience with air cooled cars would be preferable.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Call up your local PCA race group or POC race group, this was mine at the track one weekend, they had a portable dynojet there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PrC6wHvt3Y?feature=shared
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jul 12 2024, 05:21 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,770

Roger, next state over Wisconsin. Kelly-Moss racing does air cooled Porsche every day. Best, mark
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 12 2024, 05:40 PM
Post #11

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 12 2024, 04:21 AM) *

Roger, next state over Wisconsin. Kelly-Moss racing does air cooled Porsche every day. Best, mark

You can take the ferry if my memory serves. I was going to say that maybe I could add my six. But then remembered it is parked in Washington.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 12 2024, 09:07 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Whoever told you that, is, um, a struggling nitwit.

Plenty of dynes run 914s. I had mine on a Mustang AWD 150.
+Quote Post
RogerPihlaja
post Jul 13 2024, 09:33 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 12 2024, 07:21 AM) *

Mark,

Thanks for the tip. I will check out Kelly Moss Racing. Actually, my son lives near Madison, WI and we go there quite often.
Roger
+Quote Post
Detroit
post Jul 14 2024, 06:28 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 20,709

@RogerPihlaja , you're a stone's throw from the motor city! There are a half dozen or more shops in the metro Detroit area advertising dyno services.
+Quote Post
RogerPihlaja
post Jul 15 2024, 09:04 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(RogerPihlaja @ Jul 11 2024, 04:44 PM) *

Hi All,

Roger Pihlaja

Hi All,

My dyno shop is Baker Engineering in Nunica, MI (Near Muskegon). I showed TJ, the owner, some of your pictures of 914's running on the dyno. He still swears there is no safe way to secure a 914-6 to his dyno. Could one of you send 914-6 specific instructions on how to secure the car? This doesn't pass the smell test. Is there something about the halfshafts &/or the exhaust that would interfere with the tie-down straps?

Also, some of you think there are some dyno shops in the Detroit. MI area that could do a 914-6. Do you have a specific shop you recommend?

Roger Pihlaja
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 15 2024, 09:16 AM
Post #16

I am Tangerine Racing

My 914 rear tie down brackets might provide the safe attachment points your dyno operator is seeking.

Tangerine Racing Rear Tie Downs
+Quote Post
Detroit
post Jul 15 2024, 09:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 20,709

Roger, I unfortunately can't recommend a specific shop. In fact, I was going to ask you for a review of whomever you go with!...
I just did a quick google search, and half a dozen places popped up. If you've ever been to the dream cruise (or any sunny summer evening along Woodward Ave) you'll know that there are THOUSANDS of hot rods/performace cars in this area.
There simple must be some competent dyno operators around here.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 15 2024, 09:36 AM
Post #18

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(RogerPihlaja @ Jul 15 2024, 10:04 AM) *

My dyno shop is Baker Engineering in Nunica, MI (Near Muskegon). I showed TJ, the owner, some of your pictures of 914's running on the dyno. He still swears there is no safe way to secure a 914-6 to his dyno. Could one of you send 914-6 specific instructions on how to secure the car? This doesn't pass the smell test. Is there something about the halfshafts &/or the exhaust that would interfere with the tie-down straps?

Baker looks legit from their website. I bet they are extra safety/tiedown conscious due to the types of cars the look to work on. Not a terrible way to be; it's certainly not good to be the shop that looses a car (I've seen it before).

My guess is that they like to tie cars down by suspension so they are solidly attached to the rollers and do not have any possible suspension bounce in the middle. It's an extremely conservative approach. The Tangerine Racing tie downs Chris put above should satisfy this requirement. I'd ask. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2024 - 10:12 PM