Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stock 76 914 2L, Hard starting when engine is warm/hot
John VS
post Sep 14 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,187

I have a 1976 914 2L that is stock. The engine runs great and starts right up when cold. After driving the car and the engine warms up, I shut it off and have a very difficult time restarting it. After it sits for a while and cools down, it starts up fine. Any ideas? Thanks, John VS
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 10)
ArtechnikA
post Sep 14 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

"they all do that"

starters have a hard life in the 914 - over the exhaust, behind the engine...

first, clean up all the grounds you can find, especially the transmission ground strap.

but probably, it's some combination of cooked grease in the solenoid and just wear. not too horrible to R&R the starter, thoroughly clean and re-grease the solenoid, and reassemble. that might work.

the ultimate fix is a genuine Bosch reman starter. and good electrical grounds everywhere...
+Quote Post
John VS
post Sep 14 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #3

The starter kicks over great, just the engine won't start. Almost like its flooded.
+Quote Post
opera guy
post Sep 14 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,268

i have a 911s 1974 that does the same exact thing, its still not fixed, due to no time. its just opposite of flooding, its dry. i bet you're getting sparks, and motor turning over... just no fuel. check fuel reserve, a 2.5x2.5x2.5 inch box on the passenger side (get under the car and look up) its one of the things to check.
+Quote Post
Stutgart46
post Sep 14 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Stutgart46

Member No.: 1,365

Sounds to me like a classic case of "Vapor Lock". Where is your fuel pump located? I'm the farhtest from an expert but I have dealt with this problem before. I moved my fuel pump to the front and replaced the hoses and the problem cleared up. I have also heard that if you wait minutes it will start right up. That seems to work, but who wants to wait aound for 30 minutes?
Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some great advice from some of the regulars here.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 14 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #6

rich herzog

QUOTE(opera guy @ Sep 14 2004, 05:33 PM)
i have a 911s 1974 that does the same exact thing...

check fuel reserve, a 2.5x2.5x2.5 inch box...

a CIS 911 is nothing like a D-JET 914, however...

"fuel reserve" ? i have no idea what you're referring to ...
filter? accumulator? (D-Jet cars have no accumulators ...)

but back to the 914...

so here's another place where and accurate problem description would have saved some time... okay - the engine cranks but won't fire...

sounds like classic vapor lock, although a '76 should already have the pump in the front... still - when trying to start, turn the key on until you hear the fuel pump stop running. switch off, then back on. 5-6 times maybe. what you are doing is running the fuel pump to cycle cool fuel through the fuel rail and pressurising the system to purge the vapor bubble. try that...

if that doesn't work, make SURE you have a good spark. coils have been known to weaken when hot... any modifications we should know about ?
+Quote Post
John VS
post Sep 14 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #7

No modifications. Fuel pump is in the front. My son's mechanic looked at it and suggested holding down the gas pedal to the floor and start cranking. It took a few spins of the starter, sputtered and started right up. Drove fine after that. Sorry for not being more precise in describing the problem. Appreciate the responses. John VS
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 14 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #8

rich herzog

QUOTE(John VS @ Sep 14 2004, 06:16 PM)
...suggested holding down the gas pedal to the floor and start cranking. It took a few spins of the starter, sputtered and started right up.

...Sorry for not being more precise in describing the problem.

sounds like it could have been vapor locked, or its close cousin - being flooded as excess pressure (from boiling fuel in the loop) leaked through injectors designed to hold back far less pressure...

holding down the pedal is the standard "flooded start" procedure. glad it's working for you !

don't worry much about the probpem description, it's just a hot-button of mine, because 914's are subject to both the "hot-won't crank" and the "hot-cranks won't start" problem - from different causes - and it always seems like the initial problem description send people trying to help chasing after the wrong set of symptoms...
+Quote Post
sobolewski
post Sep 14 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,607

Mine is a 72 with a 1.7 and I have the same problem. The only difference is my fuel pump is located in the engine bay. I am hoping that relocating the fuel pump to the front will solve the problem. Does anyone have an idea of what that would cost if done "professionally"?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
RustyWa
post Sep 14 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #10

Working Member

Member No.: 72

I've got a '75 2.0L. If I've been driving and go into a store for like 30 minutes, come out and try to start the car...I'll sometimes get that "flooded" like start. I just put the accelerator to the floor and crank it until it starts. It runs a little rough at first but it settles out.
+Quote Post
John VS
post Sep 14 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #11

Well thats what I'll do from now on. I have had this problem before (several years ago) but now it seems worse. I had the injectors replaced a month ago and a complete tune up. New fuel lines throughout. Got it smoged (no problem, except that the smog shop fried my clutch on the dyno). All oil leaks fixed. New paint. Rennshift installed. This just bothers me. Thanks again. John VS
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 03:19 PM