Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What’s the Latest on LED Headlight Conversion?
FRUNKenstein
post Dec 13 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,308
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I’ve spent the past couple of hours searching here and surfing the web on LED headlight replacement/conversion. I see the GE Nighthawk 69821 was used by several folks, but they are expensive and no one seems to have them in stock. I think they’ve been on the market for 5+ years, so assume there are competitors. I read on a Mustang forum that the Truck-Lite 27270C is a good alternative for 7” sealed beams. I looked on Spoke’s website, but he doesn’t offer headlights, so I assume there is a good, readily-available product on the market already, or else he would have something.

So, can anybody give me an update on the latest and greatest in LED headlights? Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Cairo94507
post Dec 13 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I know 914 Rubber offers them. Just not sure which brand or model they offer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 13 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

There are a thousand LED options for Jeeps, which use the same 7" bulb (it was mandated in the USA until the mid-70s-ish).

I bought a pair off Amazon for $70 shipped. Bolt in, plug in, work great. Looks like they're $80 now.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 13 2020, 03:23 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Dec 13 2020, 01:55 PM) *

I’ve spent the past couple of hours searching here and surfing the web on LED headlight replacement/conversion. I see the GE Nighthawk 69821 was used by several folks, but they are expensive and no one seems to have them in stock. I think they’ve been on the market for 5+ years, so assume there are competitors. I read on a Mustang forum that the Truck-Lite 27270C is a good alternative for 7” sealed beams. I looked on Spoke’s website, but he doesn’t offer headlights, so I assume there is a good, readily-available product on the market already, or else he would have something.

So, can anybody give me an update on the latest and greatest in LED headlights? Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure the GE Nighthawk was just a rebranded Truck-lite. It did a lot of research before choosing lights and from what I found, Truck-lite is the lowest cost among good quality DOT-approved units. There are better lights that are also much more expensive. There are also less expensive lights but you usually get what you pay for. My problem with installing just bulbs in halogen housings is that the combos don't always project light the same as the halogen bulbs the housings were designed for and you can wind up with a unit that throws light inefficiently or worse, blinds oncoming drivers. That doesn't mean LED bulbs in halogen housings can't be good, but it can be tricky knowing the combo you buy will be safe.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Dec 13 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #5

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

You want the GE / Trucklite split style for excellent beam patterns.

Everything I've seen under $100 has been a bad chinese copy with a spotty pattern.

The LED bulb in a H4 housing hasn't been good either, too much glare, specially for the 914 in front of you. Specially if it's a DOT H4, which by law puts 20% of the light upward to light overhead signs.

If you just want a decent step up from stock sealed beam the Hella H4 E-code works. Add relays, which you should do anyways, and you can go up to a 80/100w bulb.
+Quote Post
FRUNKenstein
post Dec 14 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #6

Thanks to everyone who replied for all of the great info!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 16 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #7

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i got my lens/reflector from 914rubber, but the early LED bulbs they had i didnt like , i tested 5-6 different sets and found a set off Amazon that are perfect and they wera bout $50 i can look it up and see the brand/make etc for you.

Nighthawks are super expensive and there are others like mark says that are the full sealed LED 7" lights for jeeps that work very well too.

+Quote Post
FRUNKenstein
post Dec 16 2020, 07:58 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 16 2020, 07:56 AM) *

i got my lens/reflector from 914rubber, but the early LED bulbs they had i didnt like , i tested 5-6 different sets and found a set off Amazon that are perfect and they wera bout $50 i can look it up and see the brand/make etc for you.

Nighthawks are super expensive and there are others like mark says that are the full sealed LED 7" lights for jeeps that work very well too.

That would be great if you could post the brand and make of those lights. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 16 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Would really like to move to LED headlights for the safety and efficiency, but don't love the look of modern headlights in vintage cars.

Have been trying to figure out if any of these with "period" lenses are viable. Concerned that the fluting that makes them look nearly stock may be incompatible with LED, and yet here they are for sale—and I definitely prefer their appearance over some of the truck lights.

https://vintagecarleds.com

Curious for others' thoughts…

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 16 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 16 2020, 12:14 PM) *

Would really like to move to LED headlights for the safety and efficiency, but don't love the look of modern headlights in vintage cars.

Have been trying to figure out if any of these with "period" lenses are viable. Concerned that the fluting that makes them look nearly stock may be incompatible with LED, and yet here they are for sale—and I definitely prefer their appearance over some of the truck lights.

https://vintagecarleds.com

Curious for others' thoughts…

I think you already know the answer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But 914 lights are hidden unless you are using them.
+Quote Post
drem914
post Dec 16 2020, 11:43 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

For my car I already had Cibie H4 lenses (updated them back in the early 80's), so I updated them with the the 914Rubber bulbs.
To date it has worked well. Spoke LED front turn signals are also seen in the photo. I have a set of the 914 lenses if you are interested in them.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Dec 16 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #12

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Retrofitting FED bulbs within existing lenses is not a proper solution since the LED is not in exactly the same location as the filaments were before. Thus the lense will not focus the beam properly. You lose beam effectiveness, and people coming at you can be blinded. The correct solution is a bolt in headlight assembly that is correctly designed.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 16 2020, 01:15 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 16 2020, 12:14 PM) *
...but don't love the look of modern headlights in vintage cars.

You drivin' around during the day with your headlights up where others can see them...?

Or you don't like the pattern of light that others can see at night...?

Or it just bothers you knowing it's there even though no one can see it...?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Honestly, if it's the vintage-look thing, then we should all be driving around with the original seamed-beam incandescent lights. Because that's all they came with originally here in the USA.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 16 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #14

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(davep @ Dec 16 2020, 10:49 AM) *

Retrofitting FED bulbs within existing lenses is not a proper solution since the LED is not in exactly the same location as the filaments were before. Thus the lense will not focus the beam properly. You lose beam effectiveness, and people coming at you can be blinded. The correct solution is a bolt in headlight assembly that is correctly designed.

OEM was sealed bulb There are housings designed for LED application
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 16 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #15

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We have sourced a new vendor for the LED bulbs that is looking to be a higher quality product and pricing will be able to remain the same. More to follow, but we will be testing in the next few days.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 16 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #16

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I have the VintageCar LEDs in my own car.
Night and day difference over sealed beams or H4 lights. I wish I had made the jump to LED headlights years ago. When the lights are up, they look like 70s sealed beams except MUCH MUCH BRIGTER.

If I was doing it again I WOULD NOT buy them.
I would go with any of the cheaper LED headlights made for jeeps.

The Vintage LEDs look really good when the headlights are up. But, as Mark said, ours are mostly down.
Also - and this is big for me - the Vintage LED bulbs stick out of the housing. They push against the headlight covers and were kind of a pain to adjust because of it. Also, due to the light vibrating off the headlight cover, I am concerned about them failing. Concerned enough that I have a set of Jeep LEDs sitting in my garage waiting for the more expensive ones to break.

On a Bug or a 911, I would say get the Vintage Car setup. for a 914, get something cheaper, its going to work better.

Zach
+Quote Post
drem914
post Dec 16 2020, 02:14 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 16 2020, 11:20 AM) *

We have sourced a new vendor for the LED bulbs that is looking to be a higher quality product and pricing will be able to remain the same. More to follow, but we will be testing in the next few days.

@Mikey914 the image you see are the 914Rrubber LEDs in the my older Cibie lens housings on Lo with the oem fog lights. I did not wind up using the lenses you provided as part of your GB from 2019.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 16 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428

One of my winter items is to install LED lights in place of my old sealed beams.

These are a little pricier than other options, but I like the look.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZYAP0M/ref=au...Type=automotive

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 16 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #19

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Hi Pete, @horizontally-opposed , Zach, @VaccaRabite , is hitting an issue not previously discussed which we had to deal with on my GE Nighthawks. They protrude further out of the housing then a stock sealed beam or H4 lens. That is why when you look at my car or see it in pictures it looks like the gap for the eyebrows and the headlight cover is just off a bit. Kent & Jim had to adjust the eyebrows to allow the headlights to open/close without hitting the eyebrows. The headlight sticks out maybe 3/16" to 1/4" further than stock.

But considering the GE's are 100% plug and play with no alterations or extra wiring, etc., I decided that was the way to go. Now, if someone makes an LED headlight that looks period correct and does not protrude and is plug and play....I would likely swap to that. Then we could re-adjust the eyebrows to fit 100% correctly. Not high on my list, but on the list.

I like the look of the Vintage lights a lot - I would go with the Hella H4 lens in the 5000 series and run them with the bright white color. Price wise they seem to be about the same as the GE's at today prices.

That leaves the truck light options- and there has got to be tons, like Zach said.

Keep us informed of how you proceed. I do love, love, love the light my Nighthawks put out. It's like the factory headlights were candles. The older I get the more light I need to see anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
FRUNKenstein
post Dec 16 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 16 2020, 03:24 PM) *

Hi Pete, @horizontally-opposed , Zach, @VaccaRabite , is hitting an issue not previously discussed which we had to deal with on my GE Nighthawks. They protrude further out of the housing then a stock sealed beam or H4 lens. That is why when you look at my car or see it in pictures it looks like the gap for the eyebrows and the headlight cover is just off a bit. Kent & Jim had to adjust the eyebrows to allow the headlights to open/close without hitting the eyebrows. The headlight sticks out maybe 3/16" to 1/4" further than stock.

But considering the GE's are 100% plug and play with no alterations or extra wiring, etc., I decided that was the way to go. Now, if someone makes an LED headlight that looks period correct and does not protrude and is plug and play....I would likely swap to that. Then we could re-adjust the eyebrows to fit 100% correctly. Not high on my list, but on the list.

I like the look of the Vintage lights a lot - I would go with the Hella H4 lens in the 5000 series and run them with the bright white color. Price wise they seem to be about the same as the GE's at today prices.

That leaves the truck light options- and there has got to be tons, like Zach said.

Keep us informed of how you proceed. I do love, love, love the light my Nighthawks put out. It's like the factory headlights were candles. The older I get the more light I need to see anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have an X1/9 that will have all of the exact same issues you discuss. I'm starting with the 914 since there is a stronger community supporting that vehicle. Once I get the 914 headlights sorted out, I'll take the lessons learned and apply to the X1/9.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
25 User(s) are reading this topic (25 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 08:28 AM