Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Outer door fuzzies, installation???
EJP914
post Sep 13 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

I have removed the 3 screws that hold the old fuzzy strip on. I thought the aluminum track ( that holds the fuzzy strip) would come off the door and the new strips would slide into it. It didn't. What is holding these on? OR don't they come off and you have to slide the new fuzzys in from the front once the window post is removed. If the 3 screws don't hold the track to the door, I think they are pretty useless. I doubt the new fuzzy will will move once in place in the track. Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jk76.914
post Sep 14 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

I ran out of 4 letter words when I did mine.

Finally, I took the aluminum extrusion off, and installed the fuzzy into the channel off the car. You STILL need to be sure the extrusion is straight and clean. Sight down it, looking for kinks and nicks, and carefully straighten things out with your hands or maybe some flat pliers.

I then drilled holes in the fuzzy from the aluminum side, using the original holes for size and as guide holes. When I put it back on the door, I used an awl to line up the holes with those in the door, and then screwed #5 stainless flat head sheet metal screws home. That's US #5, NOT M5. I got them at McMaster-Carr for a few bucks for a bunch.

Anyway, before you purists blast me- when you tighten the screws, the cone on the bottom of the flat head causes the fuzzy to "part", and the screw ends up seating on the aluminum anyway. The fuzzy, being fuzzy and all, closes ranks, and you have to look pretty hard to see what was done. And besides, the screws are invisible after the glass, the inner fuzzy and the outer squeegee are in place.

Those #5 screws go in everywhere an M3.2 (or whatever those pesky things are) and give you just a bit more bite in your old worn holes anyway.

The other advantage of this approach- you can change your fuzzy WITHOUT removing your triangular "vent" window.

Worked for me.
Jim

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 05:49 AM