Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Basic Maintenance Threads?, do they exist??
rwilner
post Apr 8 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #21

No Ghosts in the Machine

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

I'm about to purchase my first 914 and am wondering if there are any basic routine maintenance threads available, for example:
  • Changing Oil and Filter (and what's the right oil type and interval)
  • Changing other fluids (trans, brake, etc) and what the preferred fluids are
  • Changing spark plugs and proper torque settings
  • Changing Headlamps and other lamps
  • Changing cabin filter (is there one??)
  • etc.

Normally I'd just go in and muck about...but breaking clips, lenses, and screws on a 36 year old car may make for expensive and lengthy replacements.

I've done some searching for this stuff and come up empty so I apologize in advance if I missed it. It could be because there's a book or two that all you guys have that I need to buy that covers all this stuff.

Thanks and looking forward to joining the madness! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Rich

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 8 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #22

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

In moderate weather, 20w50, a Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filter, NEVER anything else. I consider it important to drop and clean the sump screen at each oil change. The valves should be adjusted when you change the oil, about every 3000 miles. Be careful when you reinstall the screen and cover, the torque on the nut is not more than 11 ft/lbs! The valve adjustment procedure is found in the classic forum, here at the World. Cabin air filters first appeared in cars about 20 years after the 914 was built, so I would guess you don't have to spend a lot of time worrying about that. Bosch or NGK plugs (W7CC, B6ES), Bosch points (01 011) and cap and rotor. Points and plugs every other oil change/valve adjustment, cap and rotor as needed, condenser (again, Bosch only!) only when the points show pretty severe pitting. There are 914s out there running the original condenser. Brake fluid (DOT 4) every 2 years, tranny oil when you feel you just HAVE to do it (it doesn't wear out and get fulla crap like motor oil) and it's 89-90, 90, or 80/90-140 GL5 ONLY. No one-size-fits-all, and no MoSO2! No GL4! Headlight bulbs are held in place by 3 rusted in screws per bulb, accessible after the plastic cover is removed (2 screws). Other bulbs just twist in, like any other bayonet base bulb. Be SURE you get the right bulb. Match what you have, don't listen to the Bozo behind the parts counter. While we're on it, it's best to stick with genuine Bosch electrical components wherever they're used in the car. FLAPS guys will nearly always try to sell you cheap junk that doesn't fit. I recommend GPR, active participants on this site. Oh, torques, etc. Plugs get tightened until the crush ring crushes, points get sea ta .016" (dwell is 47 degrees +/- 2), timing for a D-jet car is 28 degrees BTDC at 2800 RPM, vacuum lines off and plugged. Plug gap is .028". Always remove the tranny filler plug (17mm inhex) BEFORE you drain it. If it's stuck, you can't refill the tranny. Synthetic gear oil is fine, but it costs a TON, and isn't really any better. Clutch adjustment is 19-22mm of free play when you PULL the pedal. Valve adjustment is .006" for all, unless you have a 2.0 with sodium filled exhaust valves, which are set at .008".

Oh, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
rjames
post Apr 8 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #23

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2010, 10:47 AM) *

In moderate weather, 20w50, a Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filter, NEVER anything else. I consider it important to drop and clean the sump screen at each oil change. The valves should be adjusted when you change the oil, about every 3000 miles. Be careful when you reinstall the screen and cover, the torque on the nut is not more than 11 ft/lbs! The valve adjustment procedure is found in the classic forum, here at the World. Cabin air filters first appeared in cars about 20 years after the 914 was built, so I would guess you don't have to spend a lot of time worrying about that. Bosch or NGK plugs (W7CC, B6ES), Bosch points (01 011) and cap and rotor. Points and plugs every other oil change/valve adjustment, cap and rotor as needed, condenser (again, Bosch only!) only when the points show pretty severe pitting. There are 914s out there running the original condenser. Brake fluid (DOT 4) every 2 years, tranny oil when you feel you just HAVE to do it (it doesn't wear out and get fulla crap like motor oil) and it's 89-90, 90, or 80/90-140 GL5 ONLY. No one-size-fits-all, and no MoSO2! No GL4! Headlight bulbs are held in place by 3 rusted in screws per bulb, accessible after the plastic cover is removed (2 screws). Other bulbs just twist in, like any other bayonet base bulb. Be SURE you get the right bulb. Match what you have, don't listen to the Bozo behind the parts counter. While we're on it, it's best to stick with genuine Bosch electrical components wherever they're used in the car. FLAPS guys will nearly always try to sell you cheap junk that doesn't fit. I recommend GPR, active participants on this site. Oh, torques, etc. Plugs get tightened until the crush ring crushes, points get sea ta .016" (dwell is 47 degrees +/- 2), timing for a D-jet car is 28 degrees BTDC at 2800 RPM, vacuum lines off and plugged. Plug gap is .028". Always remove the tranny filler plug (17mm inhex) BEFORE you drain it. If it's stuck, you can't refill the tranny. Synthetic gear oil is fine, but it costs a TON, and isn't really any better. Clutch adjustment is 19-22mm of free play when you PULL the pedal. Valve adjustment is .006" for all, unless you have a 2.0 with sodium filled exhaust valves, which are set at .008".

Oh, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The Cap'n

That's a kick-ass welcome!

Don't forget:
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Apr 8 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #24

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

I haven't bought a car yet but if all goes well it will be in my garage on monday! That's assuming I can source a 7-pin trailer wiring harness for my truck either today or tomorrow...
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
rwilner   Basic Maintenance Threads?   Apr 8 2010, 09:40 AM
TROJANMAN   Haynes is your friend Or you could try the search...   Apr 8 2010, 09:42 AM
Cap'n Krusty   In moderate weather, 20w50, a Mann, Mahle, or Heng...   Apr 8 2010, 11:47 AM
rjames   In moderate weather, 20w50, a Mann, Mahle, or Hen...   Apr 8 2010, 12:09 PM
rwilner   I haven't bought a car yet but if all goes w...   Apr 8 2010, 01:10 PM
KELTY360   In moderate weather, 20w50, a Mann, Mahle, or Hen...   Apr 8 2010, 12:14 PM
rwilner   Bosch or NGK plugs (W7CC, B6ES), Bosch points (0...   Apr 8 2010, 01:09 PM
Cap'n Krusty   Bosch or NGK plugs (W7CC, B6ES), Bosch points (...   Apr 8 2010, 01:47 PM
rwilner   Even better!   Apr 8 2010, 05:08 PM
Porcharu   Always remove the tranny filler plug (17mm inhex...   Apr 8 2010, 05:25 PM
flipb   :clap: Instant Classic!   Apr 8 2010, 12:09 PM
jaxdream   I'm sure someone here can get those rusty scre...   Apr 8 2010, 12:55 PM
jaxdream   Very nice indeed, Capt'. BTW :wttc: Jack / ...   Apr 8 2010, 12:57 PM
tat2dphreak   :wttc: epic post, Capt'n!   Apr 8 2010, 01:10 PM
ellisor3   Copy straight to Wikipedia :worship:   Apr 8 2010, 01:13 PM
MDG   who needs a Haynes covered in greasy fingerprints...   Apr 8 2010, 01:25 PM
markb   :wttc: This may be one of the most frustrating c...   Apr 8 2010, 01:44 PM
jimkelly   http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.h...   Apr 8 2010, 01:45 PM
Cap'n Krusty   http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles....   Apr 8 2010, 01:56 PM
rwilner   Hey! I just followed that link, and it lead...   Apr 8 2010, 05:10 PM
Cap'n Krusty   [quote name='Cap'n Krusty' post='1300035' dat...   Apr 8 2010, 05:34 PM
rwilner   Here's a link so you don't have to work a...   Apr 8 2010, 05:42 PM
oz371   :type: I printed it, framed it, and hung it on ev...   Apr 8 2010, 02:36 PM
kwales   Nobody maintains their cars because they are all u...   Apr 8 2010, 05:35 PM
r_towle   What car? The white one? I have all sorts of stuf...   Apr 8 2010, 05:52 PM
rwilner   What car? The white one? I have all sorts of stu...   Apr 8 2010, 07:46 PM
Geezer914   What about K&N oil filters???   Apr 8 2010, 06:16 PM
messix   What about K&N oil filters??? :stir:   Apr 8 2010, 06:31 PM
Cap'n Krusty   What about K&N oil filters??? What about th...   Apr 8 2010, 06:40 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 06:08 AM