Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> vw clutch?, direct swap?
tat2dphreak
post Mar 8 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #1

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

is there a VW clutch disc that is a direct swap for the more expensive porsche product?

yes, I know that the part is only about $130... I'm Cheap! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
davep
post Mar 9 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

When I replace the clutch I usually find that the flywheel needs resurfacing, and this is a precision operation. The height of the PP mounting surface, over the working surface, must be brought back to spec after the working surface has been renewed. This means that the amount of wear plus machining of the working surface must be removed from the mounting surface, otherwise the pressure plate cannot exert the proper pressure on the disc. This may mean you will have to shim the pivot ball on the tranny.

Whenever I pull the flywheel, I replace the crank seal, pilot bearing, felt seal, O-ring, big 5 hole lock washer, and the five bolts. Loctite the bolts, you don't need a failure like I had one time.

I also replace the plastic ball cup in the throw-out arm, and often replace the bushings for the throw-out bearing.

I usually have the pressure plate rebuilt at the same time. It depends on the wear of the diaphragm spring and on the working surface. It can be a major exercise, but you only want to do it once. Using worn parts can cause a premature failure of the new parts and that will cost a lot more than doing the entire job right the first time.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Non 914 parts don't work here. A 411 clutch will not stand up to a 914 2.0 engine, BTDT in a 411. My old 411 got the 2.0 transplant after the 1.7 broke a valve. It was a rocket, and the wife could outdrag a lot of guys trying to get around her at stoplights. Our old 81 Firebird with V8 was not as fast off the line. Everything from a 411 is wrong in a 914, and I suspect the same is true for the type 2 van. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 07:57 AM