Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> chassis stiffening with carbon
dian
post Sep 25 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,583
Region Association: None

i have not found any evidence that it has been done. why not?

how much easier would it be to epoxy glue some carbon in certain areas than to weld. at least if you dont have a big shop. (if i start welding in my garage, the whole house stinks for a week.)

so is this a crazy idea or has anybody done it? supposedly it would save weight too. is it just too expensive, maybe?

thanks for any opinions, before i research this further.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
damesandhotrods
post Sep 25 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

It’s been a while but to get full strength, wouldn’t the steel and carbon fiber have to be glued under vacuum?
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Sep 25 2012, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Sep 25 2012, 02:22 PM) *

It’s been a while but to get full strength, wouldn’t the steel and carbon fiber have to be glued under vacuum?

I think you mean an Autoclave .... that is used to apply heat and vacuum to cure the carbon resin ....... but if the OP is using pre-cured flat carbon sheets ........ it can be done at atmospheric/sea level pressure ....... if one has the ability, one can 'out gas' the epoxy in a vacuum chamber after mixing ...... apply it, then make sure you have a good way of clamping/pressing the entire carbon sheet onto the longs or what ever part one is reinforcing. However as I posted before, one can just prep, mix and bond ....... anything further is extra.

I think is it great way to gain some chassis stiffness, mitigate some of the weight and possible body warping of the 'weld in' steel reinforcements.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 05:18 PM