Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel Lines, replace? upgrade?
jandro62
post Jun 28 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,156

I'm getting ready to replace the motor in my 914, and while everything is apart I'm considering pulling the gas tank (since its probably never been done) to inspect it/clean it. What are my options for fuel lines? is it possible to run hard line to the rear of the car? Should I switch to braided steel hose with AN fittings? any tips?

Thanks,
Alex
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
lmcchesney
post Jun 28 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,381
Region Association: None

The 30y/o plastic lines are a fire hazard. Pictures of 914's in various stages of flame are present. The PP tech articles has instructions, but utilize AN fittings at the firewall and all. Also look at Dave's pictures of the centeral tunnel cut away views to understand the relationship of the fuel lines to the shift rod, clutch/accelerator cable and such. The feed line can be replaced with 60" 3/8" steel fuel/brake line at about $6. The return line can be a 5/16". Remove the tank and clean it. You can use the feed line at the engne firewall end to attach some of the new fuel injection hose you bought with the steel fuel lines. Connect to the feed line and other end into gas container. Take the coil wire out and turn the engine over and pump the tank empty. Pull the tank. I found that feeding a wire through the tank side of the hoses to the rear provides a guide for the new lines. Pull the old lines out and discard. The steel lines need a 30-45° bend,(using a pipe bender/mandrel) at 6-8" from the front end. Then, feed a new gromet over the fuel line and position to the rear. Now slide the fuel line over the wire and through the engine firewall, through the tunnel and it will meet with the rubber block at the front trunk. Steady pushing and twisting will produce the fuel line through the rubber block and into the tank space, but not all the way. Now bend the rear portion of the line to meet with the engine fire wall and push the line futher in until the rear bend approximates the engine firewall. Now fit the new fuel injection fuel hoses and double hose clamps onto the new lines. Some use another steel line and fashion it to run from the engine firewall, bend beneath the battery tray and up and out through the fuel line holes and the engine shelf. Check for leaks after pressuring up.
Hope it helps.
L. McC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2024 - 12:25 AM