Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 205-50-15/225-50-15 tire options, What's out there I haven't considered
blabla914
post Mar 5 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #1

I like primer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,740
Region Association: None

Looking for new tires. Drive my car 6-10k/year. Varies depending on what I do and what the weather is like.

Here's the options I know about.

ADVAN A048
Toyo R888
Toyo RA1
Falken Ziex 912
Khumo Ecsta AST
Maxxis MA Z4S

My experience is these cars are pretty easy on tires unless you are running a real aggressive alignment.

In the passed I've run Michelin SXGT. These lasted many summers. Hankook RS2 and Dunlop Direzza seemed to last just right, but I'd like a little more diameter in the rear for gearing. Dunlop and Hankook are now only making a 225/45/15.

I'm tempted to run RA-1's and see what happens. They wear real well on Miata's running 24 hour races, but I'm not sure I'd get much more than one summer out of them. 3 summers would be fine for me.

Any other ideas?

Kelly
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
'73-914kid
post Mar 12 2014, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

I have been running a 205/225 combo for the past 5 years on 15x7 cookie cutters, and then 15x7 VTO minilites. Gives a nice aggressive look when the rear fender lip is pulled.

I've been running the falken ze-912's the entire time, and have gone through two sets in the past 5 years. 2.5 years, 2 or 3 autocrosses, lots of trips up the mountains, and 35,000 miles on each set is acceptable I would say. I like the falkens personally. Not super grippy, but they last a while, and at least when autocrossing, they are very predictable when they start to let go, and even when they get greasy. I like tires that don't surprise you when you go past the limit

Food for thought, I installed a set of Kuhmo Ecstas on the back of the car 4 weeks ago, because I had them laying around, and ever since then, the car has been steering itself in highspeed corners, which includes freeway speeds. Scary as hell... I even started altering the alignment to see if I could make it better, and no change..

I took them back, and got a set of falkens, problem solved... I still can't figure out what caused that problem, but it made the car undrivable.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 09:53 PM