Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Clicking noise at diff shaft
john77
post Sep 1 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

I pulled both my axles to replace the diff shaft seals on my transmission a couple of weeks ago and have noticed my diff is now making a loud clicking noise if I rock the car back and forth. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid and it was there before I did the work.

There is play in the shaft, with the back wheels off the ground I can rotate the wheel a little either way before the diff engages. The video below is the car parked and me just rocking it back and forth. I torqued the trans flange bolt to 19ft/lbs.

https://youtu.be/_Fd0a1WgzHM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Chris H.
post Sep 2 2015, 06:19 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Believe it or not Tangerine Racing's have a machined lip:

Type 1 CVs

These are the only ones I found that do. Chris must machine them or pay to have them done. Well worth the extra $20 or so to get the stock gasket to fit. Been researching CVs since I'm getting pretty good at breaking the old ones.

I agree with Curt, neither of the scenarios you describe sounds good. You don't want it welded on, and you don't want it to slip off with no circlip either. It will just slip out eventually.

BTW I got my new CVs and the difference between a new CV and an old rattly one is pretty surprising. The new one feels solid, very little movement, ready to work. The old one felt easy to move in and out, much more loose.
+Quote Post
john77
post Sep 2 2015, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,027

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 2 2015, 05:19 AM) *

Type 1 CVs

These are the only ones I found that do. Chris must machine them or pay to have them done. Well worth the extra $20 or so to get the stock gasket to fit. Been researching CVs since I'm getting pretty good at breaking the old ones.

I agree with Curt, neither of the scenarios you describe sounds good. You don't want it welded on, and you don't want it to slip off with no circlip either. It will just slip out eventually.

BTW I got my new CVs and the difference between a new CV and an old rattly one is pretty surprising. The new one feels solid, very little movement, ready to work. The old one felt easy to move in and out, much more loose.

Ugh, thanks Curt/Chris, obviously not what i wanted to hear, but good to know. What is the life expectancy of a cv joint? I ax the car once a month and drive it daily - my commute's only about a 5 mile round trip though.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 2 2015, 01:17 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(john77 @ Sep 2 2015, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 2 2015, 05:19 AM) *

Type 1 CVs

Ugh, thanks Curt/Chris, obviously not what i wanted to hear, but good to know. What is the life expectancy of a cv joint? I ax the car once a month and drive it daily - my commute's only about a 5 mile round trip though.

I'd be more concerned about your life expectancy with the way you describe the set up that was put together.

Pull both your axles and assemble the CV's per spec. and stay off the freeway until then.

My .02.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2024 - 07:09 PM