Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine...what have I got, newbie here with I hope a simple question
seanpaulmc
post Dec 23 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

So, I've had this "affliction" for a while and I've succumbed. Bought myself a '73 2.0 supposedly. I'm looking the car over trying to get familiar with whatever it is in my driveway now and where to start on the repairs. I could use some help from the experts here.

I'm trying to figure out what the engine is but I cannot find any part number stampings, only what I believe to be case matching numbers. And, I haven't been underneath the car yet, still trying to work that one out. Here are some pictures of the engine bay. It has Webers but note the dipstick is short - seems the tube is reduced down to the case level.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks for your help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cairo94507
post Dec 23 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Hey you got a car - a '73, terrific year, and possibly a 2.0, even better. You might try giving Porsche a call and asking them to verify your VIN and see if they can tell you the engine and transaxle numbers.

The biggest things on these cars is rust. Before you drop a lot of money into getting it running, I would assess the condition of the chassis as it relates to rust and damage (if any). Read the build threads and you will quickly learn the very common rust issues on these terrific cars. Once you know the extent of rust repair, I am sure there will be some, then you can decide on a plan of attack to correct that and make the chassis a solid platform to start with.

Then turn to getting it running correctly. Address the fuel system like if it has the original plastic fuel lines, get rid of those and replace with stainless steel, have the gas tank boiled out and coated, replace the fuel filters, look for and correct oil leaks, check the cooling system, do a basic tune-up, valve adjustment and establish a base line. Check out the electrical system to make sure everything works and all of the ground straps are clean and tight. No bare wires, wires just dangling in the engine compartment, under the dash, trunks, etc.

Then go over the brake system. New brake lines to the calipers, rebuild the calipers, flush the system, consider a new master cylinder, rotors and pads.

Tires - check the date codes. If old, even if the tread is still good, toss them and get new tires.

Lastly, look at cosmetics inside and out. Any rips in the seats? Get them covered. Any gauges or warning lights not functioning, get that addressed.

That is a general quick overview. These cars are a lot of fun. A few people have been overwhelmed with the work these cars can need because they underestimate the size of the job and tackle way to much at one time. Be methodical and work one project at a time.

Cheers and Best wishes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 11:27 PM