Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> budget helmet recommendations?
chunger
post Nov 18 2004, 03:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

Hello,

Christmas is around the corner, and I was wondering if you guys could point me to a good entry level helmet I could ask for for Christmas and possibly a good vendor to buy from.

-'Chung
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Nov 18 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

A few points from my perspective:

First, Chung's local PCA does allow M-rated helmets for both Driver's Ed and Time Trial. (As well as for autocross.) Things may very well be different if you go outside of Zone 7 PCA, Chung, but as long as you just play here you're fine with M.

Second, as of a few years ago there were precisely two different tests that the helmets went through to get an SA-rating over an M rating. One was testing that the liner was fire-resistant. The other was a drop test onto a cylinder--a simulated roll-bar hit. This is in addition to the "ledge" hits, the point-impact hits, and so on and so forth. I believe it would be very difficult to design a helmet that would pass the other impact tests, and also fail the roll-bar hit test... And I know that some manufacturers have used a single shell design, with different liners for M- and SA-rating. And if it ever gets to the point where it matters if my helmet liner is fireproof or not, I am probably not surviving anyway.

Third, any hard hit on the helmet turns it into a paperweight. The foam inside is a one-time-use kind of thing, and the shell is a one-time-stressed kind of thing. Bounce your head off the pavement while wearing the helmet, get a new helmet. Ditto for the roll bar or what have you--if you hit hard, new helmet time.

Fourth, someone posted on the Pelican BBS (either Racing or 914) that the new -05 helmets are slated to start coming out in October of 2005. They said they got that from the Snell Foundation website.

Fifth, fit is vital. Try on a whole bunch of different helmets--that's why it is important to go shopping in person. Hopefully there is a good salesperson there to help you out. My GF and I went to Wine Country Motorsports (I told her she'd pay a 25% premium for that, but she wanted to go there!) and the guys there were very knowledgeable and just great to work with.

...I personally have a head that ain't worth that much. I have a <$100 open-face M-rated helmet. It is nice and lightweight, and I can wear my glasses with it very easily. I have found that I have real difficulty putting on my glasses when wearing a full-face helmet. (Damn round face of mine...) There is a pretty good chance that I will get a full-face helmet anyway if and when I get back on the Big Track for real, but for a while I will be quite happy to use my heap-a cheap-a helmet.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
chunger   budget helmet recommendations?   Nov 18 2004, 03:31 AM
ChrisReale   For AX, just go to a motorcycle shop and get a sne...   Nov 18 2004, 03:34 AM
synthesisdv   Do you have a "budget" head? Spend some $...   Nov 18 2004, 06:49 AM
mudfoot76   <...   Nov 18 2004, 02:05 PM
Sammy   Caution, another urban myth ready to be challenged...   Nov 18 2004, 03:36 PM
Joe Ricard   I bought a Scorpion (chinese) Full face Motorcycle...   Nov 18 2004, 03:42 PM
theol00   BELL Helmets closeout - good deals go to the the ...   Nov 18 2004, 04:02 PM
scooter311   Been buyin noodle buckets for a while - don't ...   Nov 18 2004, 04:04 PM
TimT   well its all good advice... but also get one that...   Nov 18 2004, 04:30 PM
Dave_Darling   A few points from my perspective: First, Chung...   Nov 18 2004, 05:22 PM
ArtechnikA   the Snell Website the standards are here; check ...   Nov 18 2004, 06:41 PM
trekkor   I picked up a nice Pyrotect ( Bell ) open face SA2...   Nov 18 2004, 09:50 PM
PatW   I like helmets from Arai. knocked my noggin a few...   Nov 18 2004, 10:25 PM
Dr Evil   I use a HJC $60 helpmet when I ride my motorc...   Nov 19 2004, 12:19 AM
scooter311   Dave your killin' me! " ...I perso...   Nov 19 2004, 07:59 AM
larryp   Everyone has told you the facts; you simply cannot...   Nov 19 2004, 08:45 AM
itsa914   Just one more. I like my Bieffe, fits well for my ...   Nov 19 2004, 08:55 AM
ArtechnikA  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 01:10 AM