Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Adjusting Brake Regulator
bbrock
post Feb 6 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I just finished rebuilding my brake regulator with the PMB DIY rebuild kit and it looks like new. Only thing left is to set the switch to 525 psi. I'm guessing I could send it to PMB to have them set it, but wondering if this could be done locally at a brake shop. Anyone know?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Superhawk996
post Feb 6 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 6 2019, 04:35 PM) *

I just finished rebuilding my brake regulator with the PMB DIY rebuild kit and it looks like new. Only thing left is to set the switch to 525 psi. I'm guessing I could send it to PMB to have them set it, but wondering if this could be done locally at a brake shop. Anyone know?

I'd send to PMB. In fact, I just packed mine up to go off for the very same service. You can't beat PMB's price to rebuild, replace old seals, and then to set it.

I used to be a brake design & release engineer among my many former jobs. You don't want to mess with rear bias. Especially so on mid-engine low polar moment of inertia vehicles. Personally I don't know of any retail brake shops with the hydraulic test equipment to attempt setting it and/or to accurately measure it. The consequences of getting it wrong could be catastrophic. Personally, I'll just pay the guy with the right equipment that has done it a time or two rather than risk training someone.

Not saying it couldn't be done but I can't tell you how many pads I've found installed backwards over the years when someone was complaining of noise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I've toyed with the idea of putting ABS on . . . that would be sweet! Would just add weight and more complexity which defeats why I want to get back to 914's in the first place.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 6 2019, 09:37 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 6 2019, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 6 2019, 04:35 PM) *

I'd send to PMB. In fact, I just packed mine up to go off for the very same service. You can't beat PMB's price to rebuild, replace old seals, and then to set it.

I used to be a brake design & release engineer among my many former jobs. You don't want to mess with rear bias. Especially so on mid-engine low polar moment of inertia vehicles. Personally I don't know of any retail brake shops with the hydraulic test equipment to attempt setting it and/or to accurately measure it. The consequences of getting it wrong could be catastrophic. Personally, I'll just pay the guy with the right equipment that has done it a time or two rather than risk training someone.

Not saying it couldn't be done but I can't tell you how many pads I've found installed backwards over the years when someone was complaining of noise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I've toyed with the idea of putting ABS on . . . that would be sweet! Would just add weight and more complexity which defeats why I want to get back to 914's in the first place.

That may be what I'll do. Rebuild is already done though. My regulator looks just like Eric's pic on the PMB site now. It's a pretty simple procedure. Most of the work is cleaning and painting. Mine was really gunked up inside. I went ahead and zinc plated the valve body and spring housing too, but that didn't take long. The actual rebuild is a 20 minute task.

The factory manual has a procedure for testing and adjusting the regulator while installed in the car. The procedure is to install high pressure gauges in the front and rear circuit and then adjust the regulator to get the proper bias pressure. They don't provide a procedure for bench testing though.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bbrock   Adjusting Brake Regulator   Feb 6 2019, 03:35 PM
Superhawk996   I just finished rebuilding my brake regulator wit...   Feb 6 2019, 05:59 PM
bbrock   I just finished rebuilding my brake regulator wi...   Feb 6 2019, 09:37 PM
Superhawk996   I didn't realize the Factory Manual had the pr...   Feb 7 2019, 06:52 AM
bbrock   Thanks for the vote of confidence :) That's g...   Feb 7 2019, 09:05 AM
Superhawk996   Any pic of the internals and the valve assembly in...   Feb 7 2019, 03:52 PM
bbrock   Any pic of the internals and the valve assembly i...   Feb 7 2019, 07:37 PM
mepstein   [quote name='Superhawk996' post='2687161' date='F...   Feb 7 2019, 07:51 PM
Superhawk996   Thanks guys that is brilliant. Now you've got...   Feb 8 2019, 06:42 AM
bbrock   One last thought for the morning -- don't che...   Feb 8 2019, 09:00 AM
bbrock   Just to close this out, I emailed PMB about settin...   Feb 27 2019, 09:47 PM
Superhawk996   Out of curiosity I did find some 1-1000 psi hydrau...   Feb 28 2019, 02:31 PM
bbrock   Out of curiosity I did find some 1-1000 psi hydra...   Feb 28 2019, 03:02 PM
14carrot   Out of curiosity I did find some 1-1000 psi hydr...   Jul 14 2019, 12:22 AM
bbrock   [quote name='bbrock' post='2693036' date='Feb 28 ...   Jul 14 2019, 08:20 AM
doug_b_928   @bbrock Brent, I just came across this thread. F...   Dec 15 2019, 09:25 PM
bbrock   [b]@[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s...   Dec 15 2019, 11:58 PM
87m491   I just rebuilt mine with the PMB kit. Access with ...   Mar 14 2024, 03:03 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 01:25 AM