Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> BMW caliper frustration, They're not squeezing
Carlitos Way
post Dec 10 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #1

I did it MY WAY

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

So, I installed a "rebuilt" set of 320i calipers that bought on evilbay. They had already been machined to take care of the clearance. Bolted them right up, went to bleed the system... and all of a sudden I find out that the pads are not squeezing together. There's fluid coming into the caliper, since I can bleed them... but the brake pedal is not getting any harder... and I'm not seeing that the pads are getting anywhere.

I'm guessing the calipers might have one of two problems. Either lack of lubrication from sitting around for a few weeks, or paint has dried on them (they were painted when I bought them).

Anybody got a suggestion to make 'em squeeze? Am I SOL with these?

Thanks,

Carlos
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
lapuwali
post Dec 10 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Do gravity bleed: take a section of clear tubing, attach it to the bleeder screw, dangle it over the fender and into the open trunk. Put the end in a bottle if you're paranoid. Remove the cap from the reservior. Fill the reservoir completely. Open the bleeder. Put a board or brick or something on the brake pedal to hold it to the floor. Wait for awhile. If you watch, you'll see fluid rise slowly in the tube. After a bit, you should see some bubbles in the tube. You may also see bubbles in the MC reservoir. The fluid in the tube will stop rising once it reaches the level in the reservoir. Add fluid as necessary. Close the bleeder and repeat on the other caliper.

It would be best to do this AFTER you replace the MC. Replacing this really isn't that hard, it's just a knuckle buster.

If the gravity bleed method doesn't get you some brakes, with at least a medium pedal (not firm, not squishy), then there's something wrong with the calipers or the MC. The calipers may be frozen.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 05:23 AM