Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sludge in Oil Strainer
mtc911
post May 15 2021, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,978
Region Association: South East States

I’ve changed a lot of oil over the years but never seen this sticky oily smelling “sludge” I guess? Oil is not that old. Should I be worried? What causes it? The car doesn’t run hot. Good news is nothing metallic.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post May 15 2021, 09:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

i've seen this in a newish toyota and a subaru that the mechanic who works on my cars does regular servicing on. he believes its a growing concern and the theory is increasing stop start driving with engine never really reaching operating termps for long enough.
the covid lock down seemed like it might have had something to do with it as neither of the cars which he regularly worked on seemed to have this before.

too much cold running? not sure. there are articles out there in the motoring press about it at the moment. there is a couple of theories on it. perhaps it has increased due to people not driving their cars as much as they did during the pandemic restrictions. or perhaps it is to do with how oils are being manufactured and from what base stock.

its bad and you should try and get a flush cleaner through the engine with the oil change.
it can block oil passages. you need to get it out. have you popped the valve covers to see what its like in there? often its all through the engine.

mechanics usually call this a varnish deposit i think.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 07:11 PM