Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I bought the Viper green 914...have a problem with accelerator, Gas pedal pushes very jerky, not smooth, where to look first?
Ampex351
post Jul 1 2022, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,115
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was the lucky one who bought the Viper green '76 914. Great car. They put in a new accelerator cable before I got it. The pedal pushes real stiff and jerky not smooth at all. Takes most of the fun out of driving. What would you suggest looking at first?

Thanks, Roger

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mikey914
post Jul 6 2022, 08:46 AM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Could also be as simple as the pedal. There is a hinge internally on the bottom that does fail.
The pedal cluster is probably the least likely, but could be the issue. Then there is the clutch tube. This is a good project to start. Easy enough to get to the pedal. Hopefully it's simple. Lastly, if there is rust on the two bolts try penetrating oil overnight.
-Mark
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 8 2022, 09:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 6 2022, 06:46 AM) *

Could also be as simple as the pedal. There is a hinge internally on the bottom that does fail.
The pedal cluster is probably the least likely, but could be the issue. Then there is the clutch tube. This is a good project to start. Easy enough to get to the pedal. Hopefully it's simple. Lastly, if there is rust on the two bolts try penetrating oil overnight.
-Mark

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that

Its a thing you don't expect but I have found that is usually what it is, or at least a contributing factor.

Gas pedal itself
Throttle cable
pedal bushings

Given how annoying a sticky throttle is, if you dont know they history just replace all of it.

Also i often find that the throttle cable tube near the firewall is bent. You will figure this out really quick when you cant get the head of the new cable through it. This can be another friction point.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2024 - 07:41 PM