Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Correct finish for air box clips, Air box clip finish
TonyA
post May 9 2024, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Nachmal

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

What is the correct finish on the AIR box clips? Cad plated or black paint?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
StarBear
post May 11 2024, 06:28 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

@wonkipop
Thorough, logical, and documented well, yet again. You’re the best! A bit demented, but what would we do without you?
Opening the wine tonight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 11 2024, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(StarBear @ May 11 2024, 06:28 AM) *

@wonkipop
Thorough, logical, and documented well, yet again. You’re the best! A bit demented, but what would we do without you?
Opening the wine tonight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

dunno about well documented. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) def demented. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
its jeff bowlsby's fault. he got us to look at those emissions stickers and confounded us with his very reasonable view that an EC-B was a california spec car when you and i knew it wasn't but we couldn't demonstrate that.

80 examples later the original questions got answers but a pandora's box was created when it came to other things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

the 74s are interesting thats for sure. even the humble 1.8.
the LE is straight after that first solid production run of 1.8s for three months so there are some answers there for LE cars..........and some times there isn't. but a lot of what we have found backs up what jeff has found looking at LEs. i guess the answer to clips on air boxes is.......who really knows. and does it matter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

to be truthful my real interest in it is not to do with restoring cars accurately.
so long as cars go and drive i reckon thats the main thing.
tracking technology and manufacturing techniques is what makes me curious.
you need original examples to do that.
people have generally forgotten that VW at that time (less so porsche) were pushing it with stuff like introducing plastics into car components. the main example of that was the plastic fuel tank in the european passat of........1974. you are getting things like plastic air cleaners, plastic inlet hoses etc. and a lot of it appears first in VWs before other manufacturers copy --- not surprising, germans were leaders in chemical engineering in industry in that era. reason for that?
WW2. germans had to invent synthetic versions of just about everything. even petrol.....and they just kept going.

i confess to a demented interest in L jets.
its why i bought mine all those years ago.
i knew it was the first car to get the system.
(though through this exercise have learned its actually the second, its the 1.8 engine that gets it first).
and L jet is modern fuel injection. period. thats where it starts.
D jet is fascinating but ultimately a copy of good old american know how and can do, but L jet is the native german system and their bit of original thinking. typically germanic too. minimalist when compared to D jet.

oh - and the main reason. the 914 is piech's car. his first engineering design project.
by all accounts he kept his cousin out of it.
and piech was a genius. the rest of his career proved it. he got the grandfather's genes?
........he was beyond demented. i think he was crazy. (or what normal people call crazy).
almost a bond villain. but look at what he did when it came to cars.
i consider him an architect. at least what an architect should be but mostly are not anymore.

Steve - you may recall the 80s? it was all butzi porsche this and butzi porsche that.
and 911s were the real porsche. etc. so forth. and 914s were just some mongrel thing.
a car that did not have a real designer. etc.
and now we know the truth. its a real porsche all right.

if i was going to rebuild a second 914 (and i am not) i would consider making drop out side stripes for it that read P I E C H E instead of p o r s c h e.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
9 User(s) are reading this topic (9 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2024 - 02:31 AM