Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> stuck in reverse, Transmission is stuck in reverse
PCH
post Jun 9 2024, 04:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,772
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Everyone!

I took my ‘71 1.7 to the car wash yesterday. When I picked it up, they told me it was stuck in reverse.
Sure enough, the gearbox is stuck in reverse. It seems like you can shift back and forth between 4 and 5, but in those positions the gearbox is just locked up; feeling like “park” in an automatic transmission. Shifting back and forth in neutral only left the gearbox in reverse.
On my initial search of the internet, I came across mentions of a car being shift ed between first and reverse while still moving and this could cause this. Also there was a mention of doing something with the reverse light pin to get it out of reverse.
Is there an emergency fix for this problem and what is the long term repair?
Thanks everyone,
Peter

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
technicalninja
post Jun 10 2024, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 10 2024, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(PCH @ Jun 9 2024, 06:55 AM) *

Sure enough, the gearbox is stuck in reverse. It seems like you can shift back and forth between 4 and 5, but in those positions the gearbox is just locked up; feeling like “park” in an automatic transmission.

Happens when side pressure is put on the shifter when moving to neutral. Drain the box and remove the cover where a side shift console would bolt up. Move the 1st/reverse shift rod into the neutral position and reassemble.

QUOTE(PCH @ Jun 9 2024, 06:55 AM) *

Also there was a mention of doing something with the reverse light pin to get it out of reverse.

This works on a 911 where the reverse switch contacts the end of the shift rod rather than the side. You'd remove the switch and push the rod to the neutral position.

Bingo! Exactly right...

The 911 version sounds drop dead simple.

I sold a 74 Super Beetle to a good friend who was LARGE.
His fat thigh would put too much side pressure on stick in reverse and pop that puppy BEHIND the other shift forks.
He'd stir around until he pushed something else into engagement.

He did it THREE times to the car. The first two times I wasn't with him, and he ended up locking the trans up bigtime.

The first time was Christmas eve in Marshal Texas (bout 200 miles away from Ft Worth). It was snowing and the car was in an uncovered parking lot.

Engine out, tranny out, tranny rear cover off, adjust shift forks, reassemble in the dark, in the snow, on Christmas eve.
7+ hours drive time, 58 minutes wrenching, a lifetime memory...

I had removed/reinstall the engine in that car multiple times and had gotten proficient.

He did it again later in Ft Worth. Drug to shop, much easier on lift.

3rd time I was with him when it happened!

Popped out of reverse but DID NOT engage another gear. Had him park it and I felt carefully with shifter, held it close to reverse location and "popped" it back into reverse gate without doing anything else.

10 second fix!!!

After he saw HOW to reset it, he never had any trouble again.

We also figured out it was his fat thigh that was creating the issue in the first place and I'm not sure if he ever did it again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
12 User(s) are reading this topic (12 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2024 - 01:45 PM