Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Optimal angle for half shafts?
technicalninja
post Jul 21 2024, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

Is there an optimal angle for Porsche half shafts?

I'm contemplating installing a drive package that will utilize a Boxster 6 speed and wondered what is considered "optimal".

I know 20 degrees is sort of the working limit but wondered what the minimum should be.

I believe having the half shaft perfectly level and at 90 degrees to the drive wheel will tend to wear the joints at a single point.

What should I shoot for?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
technicalninja
post Jul 21 2024, 07:51 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

@Superhawk996 You know I know that...

What I'm asking is if you had complete freedom in mounting the transmission where would you mount it in relation to axle angle?

Chris (Tygaboy) moved his V8 as far forward as possible to reduce a severe angle.

His Ferrari has much better for/aft placement, but his differential centerline appears significantly higher with the Ferrari transmission. His recent vids show this. His axles drop enough to make boot to trailing arm clearance an issue.

He still has significant axle angle. Significant angle will work the joints harder, wear the boot out quicker but it will spread the CV wear over a much larger range and might increase joint life.

My question is for provisioning, designing the drivetrain placement.

Where would you put the diff centerline?

I'm guessing 5% off in any direction would be optimal but I wanted the opinions of others.

I DO know you understand that in steady state driving on a straight road the axle angle will not vary 15 minutes even in a full IRS vehicle.

The very first 240Z (1000 ish) had an axle angle issue where Nissan adopted a slightly modified front diff crossmember and a slightly flatter moustache bar. They moved the R160 rearward about 1/4". They didn't even need a longer driveshaft but those changed helped the car.
Those half shafts had u-joints and are comparing apples to oranges in regards to CV stuff.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2024 - 06:18 PM