Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What happened to my rear caliper?, Handbreak stuck on
larss
post Jul 26 2024, 04:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,787
Region Association: Scandinavia

Stock 914/4 rear brakes.
Pulled the handbrake heavely when parking in a steep hill, released and got away normally (I thought).
After 5minutes of driving I felt a smell of smoke and at the traffic lights felt that the car was not rolling freely.
Got home after a few minutes ...smoke from rear right...rim hot.

Took wheel off, released cable at the caliper, still sticking.
Measured the pad to piston gaps, outer 0,20mm inner one zero.
Pulled the lever at the caliper backwords (releasing), still sticking, still no inner gap.
Pistons moves freely.
Tried to adjust the inner gap but could not get it bigger than 0,10mm how much I turned it out...got less if I turned it in so adjuster seems to work ...wheel now moves freely with 0,10mm gap even after using the foot brake hard and then pulling the handbrake and releasing.

Yes, guess its time for a caliper rebuild but just cuirios what caused the problem of suddenly no inner pad gap and if its a known phenomen?
Edit: More soecific, why did the pad gap go to zero and why could I not adjust it to more than 0.10mm?

Lars S
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dhuckabay
post Jul 26 2024, 06:12 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,379
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Had a problem on mine. Sheath of cable slipped out of the carrier tube at the firewall. Hung up on the tube effectively lengthen it. Easy fix when found.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2024 - 12:16 AM