Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help wanted for rear fender repair, What are measurement points for “s”
seanpaulmc
post Oct 15 2024, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

Greetings 914World !

I am seeking advice / guidance / instruction from you metal masters on how to approach and tackle this rear corner repair.

Panels involved include:
• Left rear quarter
• Taillight panel
• Trunk floor & cross brace
• Left side inner trunk fender

Some initial questions:
• Does the whole quarter panel need to be replaced, or just part?
• Does the whole tail panel need to be replaced, or just part?
• Can this repair be done well with partial panels spliced in? (Like what was done to the fender in the past but better executed with butt joints and less, a lot less, filler.)
• Should I start with cutting off what I think is bad or begin by striping the whole quarter panel of paint and bondo? Exposed metal rusts quickly in Florida.
• How and where to cut? What tools and wire size to use? How to finish, prep, and paint? -This is where I need your expertise to lead me.

Attached Image

Attached Image

This is my first go around at this.
Everything I do is a first-time attempt, and thinking about fixing this fender and taillight area while making it look presentable gives me a lot of apprehension.
So far, I have learned to MIG weld and do simple panel forming by working on this project – jack points, floor, hell hole, longs, firewall, and some tools and fixtures.
I can make solid welds in structural areas that are strong but don’t necessarily have to be pretty.
I do not (yet) have the metal finishing skills for this fender and am hoping I can get your guidance along the way to help me get through what I see to be a complicated, multi panel repair.

By making this fender repair its own topic thread, hopefully it encourages greater feedback from the community rather than if it stays buried in my long, slow build thread.
If interested in how it got here and the work done to the car thus far, then the thread is this one: here

I know I need to go take some measurements before cutting it apart just to get the baseline of where things are at. I hope to do that this coming weekend.

Thank you in advance for the feedback and support.

Gratefully,
Sean
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
worn
post Oct 15 2024, 07:00 PM
Post #2

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

gives me a lot of apprehension.
So far, I have learned to MIG weld and do simple

Been there pretty much. A few questions. How much do you enjoy welding and shaping metal? I found that I could form and fabricate patches. There are some breathtaking threads in which whole panels are perfectly welded in prepped and painted. Sometimes at what must be great expense. I found that the panels are fine: except at the end or bottom or some fairly limited space. There you can peal everything back like an onion and start fabricating patches.
One thing that I highly recommend is to go online and buy a sheet of galvaneal steel. Welds nice and holds up. Good luck.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
seanpaulmc   Help wanted for rear fender repair   Oct 15 2024, 05:26 PM
worn   gives me a lot of apprehension. So far, I have le...   Oct 15 2024, 07:00 PM
bkrantz   It al depends on what results you want. Perfectio...   Oct 15 2024, 08:02 PM
Ishley   I would buy panels before you cut anything apart. ...   Oct 15 2024, 08:56 PM
930cabman   I would buy panels before you cut anything apart....   Oct 16 2024, 09:44 AM
rick 918-S   I would check to see if someone has a used quarter...   Oct 16 2024, 05:53 AM
mepstein   Remember that almost every panel on the car is str...   Oct 16 2024, 06:30 AM
Montreal914   Sean, I too am at my first round in this type of w...   Oct 16 2024, 08:34 AM
MikeK   Looking at what you have, I'd suggest strippin...   Oct 16 2024, 10:41 AM
dtmehall   Try this youtube video for starters. He also has o...   Oct 16 2024, 05:27 PM
seanpaulmc   You guys are great! I appreciate all the good...   Oct 16 2024, 05:34 PM
Ishley   Honestly looking at your pics I think you might be...   Oct 16 2024, 07:10 PM
seanpaulmc   Honestly looking at your pics I think you might b...   Oct 18 2024, 05:07 AM
friethmiller   Interesting... that previous fender weld looks li...   Oct 18 2024, 06:05 AM
seanpaulmc   The diagonal rear truck dimension is given as “s...   Oct 19 2024, 10:26 AM
seanpaulmc   The diagonal rear truck dimension is given as “...   Oct 22 2024, 05:25 AM
SirAndy   I’m thinking “s” gets measured at the edge o...   Oct 22 2024, 10:13 AM
930cabman   I’m thinking “s” gets measured at the edge ...   Oct 22 2024, 10:21 AM
dr914@autoatlanta.com   Install a new quarter panel and new rear panel for...   Oct 19 2024, 12:14 PM
friethmiller   Having just replaced both of my rear quarters a fe...   Oct 22 2024, 12:39 PM
930cabman   Having just replaced both of my rear quarters a f...   Oct 22 2024, 01:26 PM
bkrantz   I used this tool a lot to get the right spacing an...   Oct 22 2024, 06:52 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2024 - 04:20 AM