Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 conversion procedure, Anybody written it up in detail w/ pics?
campbellcj
post Feb 8 2003, 10:12 AM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have been wondering what all is involved, labor-wise, and how much of it I could sanely tackle myself with my somewhat limited tools and mechanical capabilities.

The "parts-list" has been regurgitated over and over again, but I don't recall ever seeing a detailed write-up of the actual conversion procedure. Anybody know of one? I'd like to learn more about the oil tank installation, throttle cable setup, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
campbellcj
post Feb 8 2003, 02:12 PM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I will probably have the shop do the majority of the work, at least the stuff where plasma cutters, welders, lifts etc are needed. But I might tackle certain tasks myself. Time is more of an issue than money, overall. (Not that money isn't a big issue too). Saturday morning and anything I can squeeze in (quietly) on work nights between about 9pm-midnight is all I can possibly put in.

I acquired a Vellios bulkhead mount (weld-in type) at a good price. I'll be using a factory tank. Probably the Rich Johnson style throttle bellcrank kit and basically all the other "standard" conversion stuff. The car will be running headers and megaphones and I might leave the tin off as discussed in a previous thread. It will be carbed and conventional dizzy/coil/CDI single-plug ignition. So really it should be a pretty clean install, basically just factory-clone stuff. "Dirk Wright Syndrome" should be minimal. Replacing the fuel system (with a cell, new lines, pumps, filters etc) is about the only deviation from normal street conversions.

One reason I asked about existing write-ups is that I will plan to take a significant number of pics, video and notes if nobody's really done that kind of documentation (online) before.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 05:05 PM